Author Topic: Environmental Weather Damage  (Read 2651 times)

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
Environmental Weather Damage
« on: November 13, 2016, 07:10:09 PM »
Would it be possible to change cold weather damage to something less dmg focused and perhaps more penalty wise? I like how the weather is something to keep in mind. But in a general sense rp'ly it always comes off like you have some gaping wound  that is just oozing blood when ever someone sees you.

RP'ly it feels like it would make more sense to have something a little more like disease. Where if you fail a save you take some kind of hit like to reflex/fort/will, making a new roll each time to see if you further succumb to the cold or are able to warm up and push its effects back.

After like 5-10 fails you get a effect that starts to actually do damage (in the way of frost bite).

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
Re: Environmental Weather Damage
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 07:15:03 PM »
Maybe a speed penalty for snowy areas?
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 10:12:55 PM »
I think the damage is there to encourage players to respect the environment they're in and put on some appropriate clothing or at least magical protection of some sort. Quite fine the way it is imo.

While some players might initially assume your damage was caused by a cut/scrape/etc, it's kind of up to you to RP how you were hurt and how the environment is affecting your character. One suggestion might be to have a PC turn a shade of blue if the fail a fort save. Another might be to have an addition script that fires during the coldest months of the year, a save vs. disease to avoid Hypothermia which could have lasting stat penalties unless treated quickly.

"A no wisdom ranger is literally unwise."

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 11:16:51 PM »
Personally I like the current damage effect, it's an immediate threat if you don't show respect the cold weather. Having to wait until failing a certain amount of save or just having a temporary negative effect is not enough IMO
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

peps

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 06:24:42 AM »
Your suggestion just pushes it towards the same issue you have with the current system.

If someone does mention your injured state, roleplay the reason for it given you took the time to become severely affected by the cold.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 12:17:21 PM »
Except in most caves your fully dressed, and when people see you hurt they don't ask "Are you feeling okay?" its "Do you want me to heal your wounds"? because of wysiwyg. Being slowly crippled with by the weather does force you to respect it. Specially if you are planning to go anywhere or do anything since you will be put at a disadvantage.  Just straight damage from something that shouldn't cause immediate noticeable wounds that can be seen by all doesn't make sense or accurate portray the effects of weather. It should be slow and crippling till you succumb. Same with the desert, you should experience dehydration, excessive exhaustion, weakness, etc for traipsing around the desert unprepared. Not take hits of actual dmg right off the bat.

It would allow people to rp out being effected by the cold without just mostly ignoring the dmg your taking and downing a potion to fix such. Because if you fail there isn't a potion fix or some buff. You have to  actually warm up by going inside somewhere and staying there till the time on the effects runs out. The effects of the weather become more dynamic and effecting then just dmg -> heal -> dmg -> heal. You would actually have to factor in the negative effects for hunting outside. Or go inside to avoid the effects if your saves arnt high enough.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 01:51:28 PM »
But Miuo, we all know that anyone can already RP such things. whenever they transition into a new area shortly after they are given the tempter and wind speed of the area. and if not all they have to do is Hit R and select rest, and it will give them weather, wind speed and moon phase.

While the added dabilities would be a nice touch they aren't really effecting nor would it help with RP.

If your character is cold to the point where their body is slightly locking up, You can RP that by just going half as far and taking pauses of the walk. or even go into both stealth and search to simulate a slower walk.

we can't add things and hope people will change their RP, they will RP however they want.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 02:02:25 PM »
I think a penalty to some physical abilities might be better over all, especially if it could be done in a way that they only get removed upon rest in a proper interior or after spending time in a proper interior period.  As it stands now, the damage from weather is a at worst a minor inconvenience, or even completely ignorable most of the time.  The smallest amount of healing makes it irrelevant.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 03:21:18 PM by FinalHeaven »

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 03:14:52 PM »
I think a penalty to some physical abilities might be better over all, especially if it could be done in a way that they only get removed upon rest in a proper interior or after spending time in a proper interior period.  As it stands now, the damage from weather is a at worst a minor inconvenience, or even completely ignoble most of the time.  The smallest amount of healing makes it irrelevant.

I can see that and that would be probably better. I still would rather have the damage increased based on the season and time of day since just about everyone buys a cloak in the beginning saving them from damage.

But if they added in those effects I could accept that a bit more.

I would wonder if it is possible to add in a negative effect like vulnerability. a warm cloak will only keep you warm for so long in the cold.  start adding vulnerability on every failed DC? as well as halved movement speed? [shrugs]

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 03:36:18 PM »
Maybe to satisfy both parties maybe make cold dmg like creeping doom damage.  The more younstay outside thr cold the more the role increases.  This would be best represented in the mointain or very cold places.  Maybe a smaller dmg per round/time in lower cold areas. Though roinds of exposure should cause you to gain a disease or illness die to weather exposure.
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 03:37:23 PM »
Don't forget that the area most affected by cold weather is probably Barovia, which is the place where all new character arrives. Making cold weather harder to deal with would just make it harder for new character, the higher lvl char would not really be affected by that change since they can easily get gear to do the saving throw against cold.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 03:52:58 PM »
I've actually been put in a few positions where the cold damage was an attrition thing that really slowed down the party or even nearly killed them, which is how I think it should be. Don't go mountain-climbing in the winter unless you wanna die. D:
: )

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 06:11:37 PM »
I just want to point out that while it's not a rule or expected, it is a good idea to ask the nature of a player's wounds in a tell before just walking up and reacting to them. Not every wound is going to be a gaping wound. As for the weather system... well, I was actually advocating making it harsher so I'd rather not see it get nerfed. Some of the colder temperatures Barovia experiences in the winter (not even talking about mountains) are cold enough that your skin would freeze in a matter of minutes if you're in the wind, so I think that definitely warrants HP damage.

dark_majico

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 07:11:29 AM »
Personally I like the current damage effect, it's an immediate threat if you don't show respect the cold weather. Having to wait until failing a certain amount of save or just having a temporary negative effect is not enough IMO

I agree, other suggestions are getting unnecessarily complicated and a lot of work for the DEVS when we already have an adequate system in place. This is a none issue, there are items that give saves Vs cold, items that give DR to cold type damage, the damage is generally low for each hit (area depending), there is a long timer between checks, we have a system in place to check the area temperature at will without even owning a thermometer, and you can make successful cold saves without wearing any gear.

Anyone should ask themselves why are you getting to the point where you are appearing to be showing massive amounts of damage and giving off the impression that you are fatally wounded any way? As a general rule once any of my characters go from barely injured to injured, I know I've spent to long in the cold and it's time to do something about it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 07:17:20 AM by dark_majico »

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 10:40:13 AM »
Don't forget that the area most affected by cold weather is probably Barovia, which is the place where all new character arrives. Making cold weather harder to deal with would just make it harder for new character, the higher lvl char would not really be affected by that change since they can easily get gear to do the saving throw against cold.

This might seem right but the simple thing would be as stated make it like creeping doom. But to make it simple maybe instead of 1d6 make it 1d4 and just keep adding another d4 per tick to a max of Blah depending on temp. or if they are standing near a fire. without a fire and say below freezing the damage could cap out at about 20-28 damage on high end and 5-7 cold damage on the VERY low end and making the save just halfs the damage.  that cloak will save you for at least a few rounds depending on luck. and you could last longer depending on gear. would give those thick fur armor reasons to be needed.

and before anyone says That's way to high of damage, clearly never climbed the mountain to Ice queen during the dead of winter and take 30-40 damage a tick with Protection from elements also in place.

And yes there is gear to help protect against cold, thick fur cloth and armor, most cloaks have 5 cold resist, the mountaineer cloak has 10 cold resist and now also has 5-15% fire vulnerability. I don't recall if comfortable leather boots gave 5-15% immunity. but if I recall  it is 5% and that needs to be updated badly. cause that isn't helping anything at all. one would need to actually take 20 points of damage to have 5% remove 1 point of damage. But!! there is also feats which stack with items. and also spells. and fires reduce both damage and DC as well

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 12:00:01 PM »
I think that's pretty realistic as is to be honest. I live in a place that has weather comparative to Barovia (regularly hits the -30's Celcius). I wear a winter jacket rated for -50 and I still get cold some days. If you were wearing the type of clothing available to the setting, you'd easily freeze to death in those temperatures, and it wouldn't take very long. As it stands, you can make cold-protection gear fairly easily, and the basic potions of elemental protection are also among the easiest potions to make. It really shouldn't be an issue to protect yourself from death. Which begs the question: why are you outside until you're in danger of freezing to death? Assuming you're traveling with your friends, why not take the opportunity for RP presented by the situation by telling your friends you need to find a place to stop and warm up for a while before you go on? Sorry if I sound like a jerk, that's not my intention. Just playing devil's advocate and I'm still waiting for my morning coffee to finish brewing.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 12:25:04 PM »

This might seem right but the simple thing would be as stated make it like creeping doom. But to make it simple maybe instead of 1d6 make it 1d4 and just keep adding another d4 per tick to a max of Blah depending on temp. or if they are standing near a fire. without a fire and say below freezing the damage could cap out at about 20-28 damage on high end and 5-7 cold damage on the VERY low end and making the save just halfs the damage.  that cloak will save you for at least a few rounds depending on luck. and you could last longer depending on gear. would give those thick fur armor reasons to be needed.

and before anyone says That's way to high of damage, clearly never climbed the mountain to Ice queen during the dead of winter and take 30-40 damage a tick with Protection from elements also in place.

And yes there is gear to help protect against cold, thick fur cloth and armor, most cloaks have 5 cold resist, the mountaineer cloak has 10 cold resist and now also has 5-15% fire vulnerability. I don't recall if comfortable leather boots gave 5-15% immunity. but if I recall  it is 5% and that needs to be updated badly. cause that isn't helping anything at all. one would need to actually take 20 points of damage to have 5% remove 1 point of damage. But!! there is also feats which stack with items. and also spells. and fires reduce both damage and DC as well

I went to that mountain once and I'm aware that it that the cold damage is high, though, no early lvl character would go there and no one goes there if they're not well prepared, 20-28 dmg is too high because it'll instantly kill any new char.

Perhaps the dmg could be raised and I wouldn't be against it even though I think it's not necessary, but if its to high it mean no new character with little gold won't be able to go outside during winter, or won't be able to for a long time.

When I play a new character, I'd hate having to buy a tons of gear to protect myself against cold. I've never been very good at making gold and I surely am not the only one. Yes it would be more realistic, but there is no point in making something super realistic if it hurts the gameplay. I don't like making new char because it's not always easy, some player even leave after a few days/weeks because they have too much difficulty starting their char, making the starting area harder to survive I think wouldn't be a wise move in my opinion.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 01:54:58 PM »
Well this damage is only going to get that high during the winter seasons and at night. And as I said Iluvatar, the damage could start at 1d4 and caps out at 5d4 to 7d4. and go up with each tick of the current cold script which is a decent gap. and most already buy a cloak right off the bat to ward off cold. and a fire could easily be made before it gets to cold out and keep you warm in time just keep feeding it.

thick fur cloths and armor can easily be bought inside the city relatively cheap. which gives 10 cold resist.

The only possible way you could not survive long enough to get somewhere warm is if you were a elven wizard or sorc with a 6 con. and no toughness feat taken. which is 2 hp/ lvl The damage really isn't that high. most low levels by level 5 should have around 20-75hp with a 10 con, which by than most will either have decent saves or spells allowing them to survive longerish... the only problem is, that the spells don't stack with the equipment and who knows someone could get lucky and roll a bunch of low numbers staying out longer than most. But this than now causes higher levels as well to now head inside or waste spells to heal.

We've all seen DM RP the extreme cold of Barovia during the winter. yet we the players stay outside like it's nothing all because what.. we have a simple warm cloak the locals can be wearing as well? Make the winters actually cold. This means we can see more interesting monsters of the night like During the dead of winter Winterwolves might be more commonly found than werewolves.

on the side note but still following environmental effects. The desert, What's the point of drinking water? it isn't like if you don't there are negative repercussions like higher damage from Dehydration or lower AB and AC all it is, is to give people RP to Drink, which by all means is fine I do that. just didn't know if there was other effects.