You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Recoverable/Craftable/Enchantable Throwing Weapons  (Read 1842 times)

Telkar

• Dark Power
Recoverable/Craftable/Enchantable Throwing Weapons
« on: July 18, 2016, 02:23:51 PM »
The suggestion is basically in the title. It would be cool if they were.

They could be made craftable as is.

Is it possible/feasible to make them recoverable though? Like, being able to loot the weapons from the corpses after corpsification?

If it were possible/feasible to have them recoverable, then it would make sense to have them enchantable as well (otherwise you just loose them forever).

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
Re: Recoverable/Craftable/Enchantable Throwing Weapons
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 02:57:05 PM »
I'm not sure but I suspect that would, if possible, be a lag inducing script.

That being said..

I like the idea of enchanted throwing weapons, but there's the obvious problem of them running out of ammo and never being seen again. I'm curious if the staff would be open to, and if it would be possible to, create throwing weapons that once enchanted don't disappear at 0 stacks but simply become unuseable. At that point there would be a custom script that could be used 1/day (one time every time you rest) to simulate infinite ammo without actually being able to just throw them forever. More like they slowly reappear. They are enchanted, after all.

Of course that's just off the top of my head and there's likely better alternatives. In the end it's just about coming up with a way to make enchanted throwing weapons a thing
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 03:22:44 PM »
the only thing I could think of is if they were returning but like 75% returning when enchanted. would allow you to simulate recovering the Axes or darts or whatever.

Their grade or material they are made out of can effect the %.

Steel a 50/50 iron a 30ish% and so on.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 04:57:04 PM »
I'd like to be able to enchant arrows. An extra die of positive damage would be pretty helpful since enchanted bows only received and Enhancement bonus. I'm not suggesting a huge XP cost, enough to make you think a minute if its really worth it but also benefits that might make you want that last little edge against an incredible enemy. Maybe like 500-1000 xp?
Modify message

"A no wisdom ranger is literally unwise."

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 05:08:14 PM »
The Arrows and Bolts that we currently can get through the crafting system are plenty powerful enough when you factor in the bonus on the ranged weapon itself.  A steel tipped greater elemental batch with a crafted bow that has Mighty on it can do as much or more damage per hit than most melee weapons, AND you have the advantage of being at range.

I wouldn't mind seeing darts/axes having craftable variants that could be enchanted, though.  Just make the XP cost smaller, if you could (Or make it to where people could enchant perhaps 10 at a time instead of 50).  Maybe add a hidden modifier to the ranged weapons that reduces the value?   I mean, they cost XP to make so they still wouldn't be your "every day" use weapons, but you could always have a stack of sweet enchanted throwing axes for the few situations that you really need to bring the heat from range.  Catching runners in PvP, for example.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 05:47:23 PM »
The Arrows and Bolts that we currently can get through the crafting system are plenty powerful enough when you factor in the bonus on the ranged weapon itself.  A steel tipped greater elemental batch with a crafted bow that has Mighty on it can do as much or more damage per hit than most melee weapons, AND you have the advantage of being at range.

I wouldn't mind seeing darts/axes having craftable variants that could be enchanted, though.  Just make the XP cost smaller, if you could (Or make it to where people could enchant perhaps 10 at a time instead of 50).  Maybe add a hidden modifier to the ranged weapons that reduces the value?   I mean, they cost XP to make so they still wouldn't be your "every day" use weapons, but you could always have a stack of sweet enchanted throwing axes for the few situations that you really need to bring the heat from range.  Catching runners in PvP, for example.

if they are running away in PVP shoot em with a teleportation bolt lol right back at you

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 06:47:31 PM »

if they are running away in PVP shoot em with a teleportation bolt lol right back at you

Those have a very low (like 14 -18) Will save on hostile targets, I believe.  Meaning if they pass the save, there is no teleport effect.  Also they're going to do next to Like 4 damage on average, and by the time you've switched back to a melee weapon to finish them, they've taken off running again.  Teleport bolts were a cool idea, but I'm not sure they've ever successfully been used for anything outside of playing around.  (Always had a fantasy about shooting a buddy with a bolt through the bars to break him out of a jail cell, but while hilarious, that's generally not practical and my characters always had a key or plenty of open lock anyways, lol.)

I've always liked the idea of throwing weapons being a melee character's go-to for finishing things off that are running at near-death.  They get an inherent damage bonus based on STR mod, so that's a cool feature as well.  The weight and the low damage have just always held them back, though.  That, and mighty bows are very easy access.  The benefit of throwing weapons is that you don't unequip your shield, which makes it easier to switch back to your close quarters setup on the fly and you don't lose your shield AC if you're a shield guy.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 04:55:58 AM »
I've always liked the idea of throwing weapons being a melee character's go-to for finishing things off that are running at near-death.  They get an inherent damage bonus based on STR mod, so that's a cool feature as well.  The weight and the low damage have just always held them back, though.  That, and mighty bows are very easy access.  The benefit of throwing weapons is that you don't unequip your shield, which makes it easier to switch back to your close quarters setup on the fly and you don't lose your shield AC if you're a shield guy.

The weight has at least been taken care of. 50 throwing axes for example are now just 2 ibs. (at least the ones I found).

I did find some Thunderbeast throwing axes in loot, which are +3 with 1d4 electrical damage. I thought that was pretty sweet, but I'll run out of them soon enough, which made me think of this thread. It's just much cooler than a bow for my character. ;)

dark_majico

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 08:20:16 AM »

I agree, adding another level of damage on top of every thing we have got is going to over power things very easily, and also make it another layer of complexity that I don't think this game is equipped to handle.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 08:59:27 AM »

The weight has at least been taken care of. 50 throwing axes for example are now just 2 ibs. (at least the ones I found).

I did find some Thunderbeast throwing axes in loot, which are +3 with 1d4 electrical damage. I thought that was pretty sweet, but I'll run out of them soon enough, which made me think of this thread. It's just much cooler than a bow for my character. ;)

There are many sweet throwing Axes out there, my tiefling uses throwing axes and darts as his ranged attacks, which yes is nice because you can have a shield as well.

Also not all axes weigh the same, I think most full stacks weigh about..10 pounds? there are a few rare ones that don't weigh anything but they have a -1 or -2 damage.  Thunderbeast and gods what is it. There is a few more, one does sonic damage, and another has massive crit on it I believe. those are some of the best ones I've found/seen that are nice.