You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Craftable slings.  (Read 2545 times)

SanneJ

• Undead Slayer
Craftable slings.
« on: June 23, 2016, 06:22:51 AM »

Just giving this a bump, as I saw a few posts about crafting and I'm still hoping for crafted slings. (and the other weapons mentioned of course) 

I was thinking about suggestion some new random generated loot slings, as it's my main weapon with my main pc, I have been using the same one forever and have not found any beter ones (could just be me) But than I thought it might be nice to make the sling also a craftable weapon, as I believe all other weapons are.

As a sling is mostly just a piece of rope or leather with a small (almost pocket like) piece in the center, I thought it might be fun to be able to make them out of the different sorts of leather that we already have on the server. but of course I don't know if this would be at all possible or what would be possible.

Suggestions and thoughts on this are always welcome.   
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 05:50:57 PM by SanneJ »
Merrum Twind: Sticking his nose where it doesn't belong for the greater good!
Ragnhild “the Snarling” Snarrigson: (aspirant) Shield of Dvergehiem.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
Re: Craftable slings.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 06:38:39 AM »
I think the issue there, which has been also discussed in the past both in forum and privately with some devs, is that normally leatherworking makes "protective" things (armours, boots) and a type of container, while it'd require having also some "attack" thing coded. Also whips could be made with leatherworking if you think of it. It is somehow the same issue with woodworking and clubs and quarterstaff (woodworking makes shields or ranged weapons only). Unrelated to this, though, maybe protective belts and/or gloves may be added more easily.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

SanneJ

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 07:22:27 AM »
So now you make whips on the forge and with what materials?

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 07:26:53 AM »
Never made a whip, I'm not even sure it's any possible.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 09:01:15 AM »
Making a whip isn't possible to my knowledge and I've tried COUNTLESS times on my old crafter. And helped those that got me into the game. THe template I believe says it requires leather but no matter what leather we used it never did anything. So I believe whips are not craftable at the moment.

That said Whips are generally made of leather or in some cases a rope like material.. ( whatever would be like 5-50 cord back then if not then just leather) However! Metal can be used as well giving it a few different properties, can add small spike to a whip to cause piercing damage or could make it a chain whip with sharp edges for slashing. or metal blocks for bludgeoning.

I think though they aren't craftable because there are already much nicer whips out there hellfire, snakebite, and a few that do extra damage types.

back on topic I would of liked to see a craftable sling or two. but they are fairly easy to make and would be a start for leather working to make those.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 09:15:20 AM »

I think though they aren't craftable because there are already much nicer whips out there hellfire, snakebite, and a few that do extra damage types.

On this, and also for slings, you are underrating something which would make them appetible, that is the chance to have them enchanted. So, actually, at the moment, those characters who use primarly whips, slings, but also quarterstaffs or other CEP weapons, hardly could have them better than what is found in loot.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 09:22:47 AM »

On this, and also for slings, you are underrating something which would make them appetible, that is the chance to have them enchanted. So, actually, at the moment, those characters who use primarly whips, slings, but also quarterstaffs or other CEP weapons, hardly could have them better than what is found in loot.

I'm not really underrating the fact they can be enchanted. the problem is the extra damage from crafting is based on the weapon's base damage. examples Great axe get 1d8 extra damage a bastard sword 1d6 long sword 1d4 and anything smaller then that only gets like 2 more points of extra damage. Now enchant them and they only get the same damage die but in positive damage. meaning you'll only deal a max of 6 damage with a 10 based str

and slings will be treated the same as a enchanted bow grant it the hide used to make the sling could actually have a effect on the enchant like antlers and horns on a bow.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 11:34:55 AM »
That is perfectly right, I was more thinking to enchanted items as a particularly RP-wise thing...

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 11:58:03 AM »
That is perfectly right, I was more thinking to enchanted items as a particularly RP-wise thing...

Ah, got it. Over looked that part.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 09:32:59 PM »
Whips and slings will be added to leatherworking eventually, the crafting system just needs some adjusting to allow for it. Same with clubs and quarterstaves for woodworking.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

SanneJ

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 02:29:15 AM »
Nice, can't wait. thanks for the info.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 05:14:45 AM »
That's really great news

SanneJ

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 05:48:32 PM »
Just giving this a bump, as I saw a few posts about crafting and I'm still hoping for crafted slings. (and the other weapons mentioned of course)