Author Topic: Monk Gloves (Crafting)  (Read 6840 times)

Night of Reod

• Undead Slayer
Re: Monk Gloves (Crafting)
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 01:10:25 AM »
Well I didn't intend to make any claims about anything.  Really, I just saw the comments from the developers and would like to know if this is something being worked on or already done.

The developers and DMs have visibility across the server and so I trust their judgement.  I guess some players also do have pretty good visibility as well.

But since the point was raised, I did see some crafted weapons that are better than any glove I've seen.  For example, a crafted+enchanted weapon made with platinum and adamantine that has an enhancement bonus +3, enhancement bonus vs. undead +4, damage bonus positive energy +1d6, and damage bonus slashing +1d6.

The 1d6 slashing damage does not stack with enhancement bonus, so while it is true that an enchanted adamantine bastard sword has better stats than Fists of Andral, that can easily be rectified with a GMW or magic varnish. In the case of a +3 magic varnish, 1d6 slashing damage ends up doing 0.5 more damage per hit on average. It is completely ineffective with a +4 varnish or GMW spell. Positive damage is also better than divine damage, at least for PvP against opponents that can use Hands of Dusk, but that's about it. Though keep in mind that using a bastard sword requires a feat investment unlike unarmed attacks. An enchanted adamantine bastard sword has better stats than an enchanted adamantine longsword or an enchanted adamantine morningstar also, and adamantine is fairly tedious to get.

But since the point was raised, I did see some crafted weapons that are better than any glove I've seen.  For example, a crafted+enchanted weapon made with platinum and adamantine that has an enhancement bonus +3, enhancement bonus vs. undead +4, damage bonus positive energy +1d6, and damage bonus slashing +1d6.

That the Fists of Andral negate any need for enchanted gloves can be countered by a variation of your example: Would other characters of other classes feel the server had lost nothing if we removed crafting of all other weapons...

...as long as a +2 / 1D6 Divine Damage "equivalent" weapon was left in the loot tables?

It would depend on how common they are and the alternatives, I imagine, but I never really claimed that just Fists of Andral alone negated any need or desire for enchanted gloves, nor was that really my point. I am assuming that gloves are trickier to implement for crafting and enchanting because they are not "weapon" items but "hands slot" items, which the engine treats differently of course. This means that someone has to put in the effort and figure out a way to implement it, even if we assume that we just add gloves with a generic +1d6 bludgeoning damage that can be enchanted. Considering the alternatives to enchanted gloves and all the different gloves items with unique properties available in the game; is the time spent, and taken away from other projects, worth it to implement this crafting system and items for it? Especially since I don't believe most players, even those who use gloves, would spend the experience to enchant gloves instead of using one of the common ones that are almost as good and waiting for Fists of Andral, Lyklor's Fightin' Gloves or something similar.

This is for the developers to decide of course, but unless someone comes up with a way to make crafted/enchanted gloves more interesting and meaningful, or just feels like working on this project, my opinion is that there are better projects to spend the time and effort on. I believe the fact that this project has been on the list for almost 6 years at least, according to Bluebomber4evr's post, is prima facie evidence that the development team agrees.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 01:29:13 AM by Night of Reod »