Author Topic: Yawn sound after sleep  (Read 1735 times)

dark_majico

Yawn sound after sleep
« on: June 22, 2016, 07:13:28 AM »
After a character sleeps the game makes you do a yawn emote, but no sound comes out, so what if after you rest a yawn sound is spawed at the players location then destroyed after it has played? It would just make the sleep animation a little better, check for gender and if male spawn a masculine yawn, if female spawn a feminine sound.

Related to sleep, I really like the sleeping animation on a bedroll but it's over with way too quickly owing to our sleep duration. Since we have a rest option as well as a sleep I sort of think it would make a better distinction between the two if the sleeping lasted a little longer than rest, since it heals more and you get more benefit out of it.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: Yawn sound after sleep
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 10:14:22 AM »
That would require someone to record a yawn sound for all the different voices, then include it in a hak, make .tlk modifications, then script a routine to play the sound. Which is quite a bit of work and resources for something so slight with no practical use.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 03:35:49 PM »
Given the mouth doesn't actually move on the head, to me it just looks like stretching.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 03:39:55 PM »
Given the mouth doesn't actually move on the head, to me it just looks like stretching.

Admittingly  I always thought it was just the character stretching
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 06:14:38 PM »
True, though to be fair the mouths of PC models can't move at all.

dark_majico

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 03:02:59 AM »
That would require someone to record a yawn sound for all the different voices, then include it in a hak, make .tlk modifications, then script a routine to play the sound. Which is quite a bit of work and resources for something so slight with no practical use.

Tee hee, it was just a slight fancy of an idea, and I had just envisaged using the same male and female yawn for every which race. I think I heard it in the tavern sounds in the toolset. Yes it would be some work for something that is just flavour so I guess it's a none start. I do appreciate that you took the time to reply though.

True, though to be fair the mouths of PC models can't move at all.

Stretching, yawning, it's synonymous in cartoons and popular culture really.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 03:06:15 AM by dark_majico »

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 01:08:36 PM »
Yeah, there's generic yawns, but that's still going to take up space and/or performance for little benefit. You could just type out a [yawns] emote instead and it would have the same practical effect for role play purposes.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 01:53:46 PM »
As it is, you can decide whether your character yawns or not and emote appropriately. If we made it mandatory, it would be like the [burps] emote after drinking. Everyone would ignore it.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.