Author Topic: Assassin lacks 4th Circle spell charges  (Read 2274 times)

Olywynn

• Likes to say "Nyeh heh heh!"
  • Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
Assassin lacks 4th Circle spell charges
« on: June 11, 2016, 05:59:04 PM »
So, I'm the right level to get the last circle of the Assassin spells, and I have 17 Int.  I see the spells in my menu, yet they have no charges whatsoever.  Isn't it supposed to be 14 Int that you receive assassin spell charges?  It acts like I don't have enough intelligence, when I do.

Telkar

• Dark Power
Re: Assassin lacks 4th Circle spell charges
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 06:06:26 PM »
Actually, it's the intelligence modifier that gives extra charges, so you'd need 18 int. On lvl 7, they have 0 charges of 4th level spells by default:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/assassin.htm

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 06:17:17 PM »
Actually, it's the intelligence modifier that gives extra charges, so you'd need 18 int. On lvl 7, they have 0 charges of 4th level spells by default:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/assassin.htm

Shouldn't that be 14 int, as it's a 4th circle spell?

Beginning at 1st level, an assassin gains the ability to cast a number of arcane spells. To cast a spell, an assassin must have an Intelligence score of at least 10 + the spell’s level, so an assassin with an Intelligence of 10 or lower cannot cast these spells.

14 is the required number for Paladins and Rangers to get access to the 4th circle, and I believe Blackguards as well. This seems like an oversight or a bug.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 06:18:57 PM by BahamutZ3RO »
: )

Mereyn

• Undead Slayer
  • Resident Observer of the Freakshow
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 06:23:14 PM »
It is a general rule, for every single spellcasting class there is, that the modifier of the spellcasting attribute governs the amount of extra spellslots.
And that extends even to paladins, assassins, rangers and their ilk. So in short, you'd need 18 Intelligence (+4) to have the one spellslot.
That's because you only have the ABILITY to cast the spell level, not a slot. That's also the way of paladin/ranger/etc. casters.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 06:25:53 PM by Mereyn »

Pav

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Dark Power
  • Heard it all before, pal.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 10:48:53 PM »
Yet, with 14 wisdom, rangers and paladins still have 1 slot when they get the ability to cast the spells. If assassin's don't, then it's purely bad balance or an oversight.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 11:01:30 PM »
Yet, with 14 wisdom, rangers and paladins still have 1 slot when they get the ability to cast the spells. If assassin's don't, then it's purely bad balance or an oversight.

Naw, they're right. It's working as intended. Think of it this way; a Paladin with 11 wis can cast 1st circle spells but he won't get the slot at level 4, he'll get it at level 6.
: )

Pav

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Dark Power
  • Heard it all before, pal.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 10:27:14 PM »
Olywynn mentioned he has a modifier higher than the requirement for the slot. In the case of the other classes that work similarly, you would get a spell slot for that level when you unlock the spells.

Maybe it's a nerf, which I will be fine with, I guess, but I don't think it'd be a good one.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 10:54:45 PM »
Olywynn mentioned he has a modifier higher than the requirement for the slot. In the case of the other classes that work similarly, you would get a spell slot for that level when you unlock the spells.

Maybe it's a nerf, which I will be fine with, I guess, but I don't think it'd be a good one.

How to answer this without rambling...

Okay, he would have to be an 8th lvl assassin to unlock the base spell slot, even though he gains the ability to have a spell slot at lvl 7. 17 int isn't even enough to net him a bonus slot for 4th level at all ever, all he gets from that is the allowance to cast that circle once he's gained enough levels to do so, so unless he's lvl 8 assassin he should not have any slots yet, though the spells for that level he would have been allowed to pick on lvling up to 7. The same thing can happen to bards or other casters who don't use prepared spells. It is possible to have the base ability score necessary to cast a spell level, as well as the level necessary, while still not having the ability to have any slots for it.

It would help to know what lvl exactly of assassin he is. If he's lvl 7 with 17 int he would not have any slots available yet without an item that grants him one. Comparing this to a paladin or ranger is tricky because they cast prepared spells that come from a complete spell list. It's apples to oranges.

Hopefully that cleared things up, but I feel like I wasn't very clear about it  :lol:

edit: if he were lvl 7 and had 18 int, he wouldn't have a base slot to cast those spells, but he -could- cast them anyway, as 18 int is enough to grant a bonus 4th lvl slot
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord

Building out off the mists