You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Scrying  (Read 1703 times)

julienchab

Scrying
« on: June 06, 2016, 12:20:01 PM »
I'd like to know a bit more about the scrying mechanics, and what happens if you try to scry someone or something that is under the effect of greater sanctuary.
Will you know the exact location of the person? Or only that he/she is in the ethereal plane?
Also, does the same apply to an object that is in the possession of the person udner greater sanctuary, and that object is being scry?

Syl

• Dark Power
Re: Scrying
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 12:27:24 PM »
I always thought scrying didn't work in Ravenloft. and if it did, not very well... That said, I also thought such needed a DM.?

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

julienchab

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 12:35:14 PM »
I always thought scrying didn't work in Ravenloft. and if it did, not very well... That said, I also thought such needed a DM.?

Vistani can scry without problem :P And yes, you need a DM, but my question still stands

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 02:07:15 PM »
Vistani can scry, but in ravenloft the effects of scrying are dodgy at best. Most often the dark powers will just give you a vision that may or may not have anything to do with what you're after. I would assume even the Vistani are susceptible to that
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 06:27:11 AM »
This is normally how it should work as per the Ravenloft DM guide and PHB.

Quote from: Ravenloft Campaign Setting & Player's Handbook 3rd Edition
Divination
Divination is notoriously untrustworthy in Ravenloft, except in the hands of the Vistani. Attempts to peer into the future or to petition one's god for guidance often produce misleading results or fail completely. It might be said that the Dark Powers want mortals to make their own choices, for good or ill.

The Dark Powers shield undead creatures in their realm. Such creatures can always attempt a Will save to avoid any spell effect that would reveal their undead nature.

Scrying: Scrying other locations, as with the arcane eye spell, is more reliable but carries its own risks. These spells normally create an invisible sensor. In Ravenloft, they create a visible, ghostly sensor resembling the caster's own equivalent sensory organ. Any creature can detect the sensor by making a Spot or Scry check against DC 16, due to its fine size.

The caster may be vulnerable to attacks sent through the sensor. Visual sensors can channel gaze attacks, and auditory sensors can channel sonic attacks. A vampire that notices the ghostly eye created by clairvoyance can target the caster with its domination gaze, for example.

Scrying: See Divination (Scrying). Any creature in a different domain is considered to be on another plane for the purposes of this spell. If you fail your Scry check, the spell reveals only a random location within the Mists. You will normally see only an image of swirling fog, but there is a 10% chance of glimpsing some horrid, evil creature, prompting a Horror save.

I would consider any character under Greater Sanctuary as if he was in another domain for the purpose of scrying, the nature of Greater Sanctuary make it so that player is technically in the Near Ethereal after all, but that is a DM prerogative to decide.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 06:42:36 AM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.