Author Topic: Let's discuss the meta of summoning wiz/sorc familiars.  (Read 3637 times)

Syl

• Dark Power
Re: Let's discuss the meta of summoning wiz/sorc familiars.
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2016, 10:51:23 AM »
I work with a shadow that has a mind of it's own. :P sometimes I RP her raising on her own, or me calling her from the ground.

sometimes the shadow will move along the ground still attached.

either way.. working with shadows... #ShadowDancer Life.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2016, 10:34:01 PM »
I really wish that we didn't have the summoning circle effects present. Animal companions certainly shouldn't appear with such a magical looking visual, and I think to a lesser degree, that familiars should not have it either.

I would think it should be possible to remove the visual effect, since you can alter the visual effects of spells and even do custom spells.  Although if the visual effect is generic to all summons, then it might be removed for all summons.  Perhaps a developer can chime in on whether this is feasible, or just not worth the effort.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Vel Karsh

• New to the Mists
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 11:48:02 PM »
In reading about witchcraft, I see that some believed familiars were non-corporeal spirits that could become corporeal only by drinking the blood of their witch. This is why moles and such were viewed as signs of witchcraft: they were the spot where the familiar suckled. Therefore, one reasonable interpretation would be that at least some supernatural-type familiars when unsummoned go to the near ethereal plane, much like other spirits.

On a completely unrelated question, other than buffing dexterity, is there any way to raise a pixie familiar's pick lock skill?

That is, regardless of which items you have such as thieves' tools, you cannot transfer any inventory bonuses to a pixie.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2016, 12:39:50 AM »
Casting knock on them helps as well.

But yush, it tends to depend where i am for how i treat my familairs appearence. More often then not it is a summoned into being, given its used mostly in dungeons and it just makes more sense that way then a worg some how walking through the ML temple and going into the crypts alone to seek out my char who has need of them.

dark_majico

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2016, 01:18:54 PM »
There's no ruling; it's one of those things that are up to players to RP.

Well seeing as the game engine does not support your familiar or animal companion being present at all times, I don't think you should roleplay something that isn't supported as that is cheesing. The familiar or animal can only be summoned once per rest and it uses a summoning visual, and requires an action, so if you follow the WYSIWYG rule (this is magic) you should take it how it is. These are summons. They are also affected by Dismissal and Unsummon, so they have mechanics that further cement summoning.
Active:
Constance Hollows

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2016, 01:30:45 PM »
I think that we shouldn't be too absolute in the WYSIWYG ruling when it goes to regarding things which do not directly affect other PCs or make you have powers which you shouldn't have.

For example, it would be cheesing to claim that your familiar cat is always around and since they have a good hearing, they heard what PCs whispered away from you.

Or, it would be cheesing to emote that your imp just attacked from the shadows even if it actually didn't attack anyone.

However, if you have your familiar interact with the world when it is actually summoned, I do not see a problem.