Author Topic: Revamped Prestige Class - Shifter  (Read 1496 times)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Revamped Prestige Class - Shifter
« on: May 06, 2021, 04:36:38 PM »
As mentioned previously, we are updating some of the mechanics of the Shifter class to give it more versatility and power. The changes are strongly inspired by the Master of Many Forms 3.5 update to the Shifter.

(PRESTIGE CLASS)
(This class has been modified from its standard Neverwinter Nights version)

A shifter, also known as a master of many forms, has no form they call their own. Instead, they cloth themselves in whatever shape is most expedient at the time. While others base their identities largely on their external forms, the shifter actually comes closer to their true self through all of their transformations. Of necessity, their sense of self is based not on their outward form, but on their soul, which is truly the only constant about them. It is the inner strength of that soul that enables them to take on any shape and remain themselves within.

- Base Attack Bonus: +1 / Level.
- Hit Die: d8.
- Primary Saving Throws: Fortitude, Reflex.
- Proficiencies: A shifter does not gain any additional weapon or armor proficiencies.
- Skill Points: 4 + Int Modifier.

Class Skills: Animal Empathy, Concentration, Disguise, Heal, Hide, Influence, Listen, Lore, Move Silently, Parry, Spot.
Unavailable Skills: Use Magic Device.

REQUIREMENTS:

Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Wild Shape.

ABILITIES:

Level
1: Shifter's Speech: Can speak in any form.
    Wild Shape (1x/day): Additional uses of Wild Shape.
    Improved Wild Shape I - Can change into a wyrmling.
2: Wild Shape (2x/day).
    1st Extra Disguise.
3: Wild Shape (3x/day).
    Improved Wild Shape II - Can change into a harpy, minotaur, or gargoyle.
4: Wild Shape (4x/day).
    2nd Extra Disguise.
5: Wild Shape (5x/day).
    Improved Wild Shape III - Can change into a basilisk, drider, or manticore.
6: Wild Shape (6x/day).
    Supernatural Ease - Wild Shape ability becomes supernatural.
    3rd Extra Disguise.
7: Wild Shape (7x/day).
    Humanoid Shape - Can change into a drow, lizardfolk, or kobold.
8: Wild Shape (8x/day).
    4th Extra Disguise.
9: Wild Shape (9x/day).
    Elemental Shape - Can change into an elemental.
10: Evershifting Form: Racial type changes to Shapechanger. Can change forms at will.
     Wild Shape (10x/day).     
     Improved Wild Shape IV - Can change into a dire tiger, medusa, or mindflayer.
     5th Extra Disguise.

Wild Shape
Spoiler: show
Type of Feat: Class
Prerequisite: Druid level 5 or Shifter level 1.
Required For: Cheetah's Speed, Cougar's Vision, Elemental Essence, Elephant's Hide, Extra Wild Shape, Frozen Wild Shape, Oaken Resilience, Primeval Wild Shape, Scorching Wild Shape, Swim like a Fish, Savage Mobility, Verdant Wild Shape, Wolverine's Rage.
Specifics: The character with this ability can take the shape of an animal from a temperate zone at will. He can assume the following shapes: badger, bear, boar, cougar, eagle, lynx, raven, and wolf. At level 12, including shifter and druid levels, these forms improve along with other wild shape forms.

Druids may use it once per day at fifth level, twice per day at sixth level, three times per day at seventh level, four times per day at 10th level, five times per day at 14th level, and six times per day at 18th level. Additionally, shifters gain one use per level. The transformation has a duration of 1 hour per combined druid and shifter level. Upon transforming, the character regains lost hit points as if they had rested for a night. This is only effective once per day.
Use: Selected. After choosing the ability, the character must choose an animal form to take.

Shifter's Speech
Prerequisite: Shifter level 1.
Specifics: A shifter maintains his ability to speak normally regardless of the form he takes. Furthermore, he can communicate with other creatures of the same kind while in wild shape, as long as such creatures are normally capable of communicating with each other using natural methods.
Use: Automatic.

Improved Wild Shape I
Prerequisite: Shifter level 1.
Specifics: The shifter can use his wild shape ability to assume the shape of a chromatic (red, green, black, white or blue) or a metallic (brass, bronze, copper, gold or silver) wyrmling. As the shifter rises in levels, the damage potential of the breath weapon increases. The transformation has a duration of 1 hour per combined druid and shifter level. Upon transforming, the shifter regains lost hit points as if he had rested for a night. This is only effective once per day.
Use: Selected. After choosing the ability, the shifter must select which kind of creature he wants to transform into.

Improved Wild Shape II
Prerequisite: Shifter level 3.
Specifics: The shifter can use his wild shape ability to assume one of the following three forms: Minotaur, Harpy and Gargoyle. The transformation has a duration of 1 hour per combined druid and shifter level. Upon transforming, the shifter regains lost hit points as if he had rested for a night. This is only effective once per day.
Use: Selected. After choosing the ability, the shifter must select which kind of creature he wants to transform into.

Improved Wild Shape III
Prerequisite: Shifter level 5.
Specifics: The shifter can use his wild shape ability to assume one of the following three forms: Manticore, Basilisk and Drider. The transformation has a duration of 1 hour per combined druid and shifter level. Upon transforming, the shifter regains lost hit points as if he had rested for a night. This is only effective once per day.

Humanoid Shape
Prerequisite: Shifter level 7.
Specifics: The shifter can use his wild shape ability to assume one of the following three humanoid forms: Drow, Kobold and Lizardman. The transformation has a duration of 1 hour per combined druid and shifter level. Upon transforming, the shifter regains lost hit points as if he had rested for a night. This is only effective once per day.
Use: Selected. After choosing the ability, the shifter must select which form he wants to transform into.

Elemental Shape
Prerequisite: Shifter level 9.
Specifics: The shifter can use his wild shape ability to assume one of the following four elemental forms: Air Elemental, Earth Elemental, Fire Elemental or Water Elemental (huge elemental at first; an elder upon reaching a combined 20th level of shifter and druid). The transformation has a duration of 1 hour per combined druid and shifter level. Upon transforming, the shifter regains lost hit points as if he had rested for a night. This is only effective once per day.
Use: Selected. After choosing the ability, the shifter must select which kind of elemental he wants to transform into.

Improved Wild Shape IV
Prerequisite: Shifter level 10.
Specifics: The shifter can use his wild shape ability to assume one of the following three forms: Large Dire Tiger, Medusa and Mindflayer. The transformation has a duration of 1 hour per combined druid and shifter level. Upon transforming, the shifter regains lost hit points as if he had rested for a night. This is only effective once per day.

Evershifting Form
Prerequisite: Shifter level 10.
Specifics: At 10th level, the shifter has reached the pinnacle of his shapechanging abilities. He can use his wild shape ability to assume different forms permanently unlimited times per day. His type changes to shapechanger for determining what effects and items can affect him, and he gains darkvision, which remains in effect regardless of his form.
Use: Automatic.

Lucifron

• Outlander
Re: Revamped Prestige Class - Shifter
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 05:03:14 PM »
Out of all these changes I'm more glad that Wyrmling is getting more love, and the Shifter Speech being implemented. It will definately makes them stand out from regular Druids during RP sessions.

Ghailer

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 10:02:10 AM »
It looks nice. Only issue I see is I'm going to have two dire tigers. From verdant shape and from improved wild shape V. But lets see it live first. Great job.

Edit:
Just picked frozen shapes at test server, so I have three exactly the same tigers :D
Aside of that, it looks good up to now.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 04:14:12 PM by Ghailer »

Lucifron

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 05:54:46 PM »
Noticed on the test server that the 5 extra disguise slots from Shifter aren't Polymorph disguise slots... Any chance on getting that changed?

Ghailer

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 05:56:46 PM »
Also some of wyrmling models are semi-transparent, and lion shape is lioness regardless of gender.

Coronenko

• Outlander
  • FML
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 06:39:51 PM »
And water elements can drown theirselves, but that's bug report territory honestly

Lucifron

• Outlander
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 06:45:02 PM »
And water elements can drown theirselves, but that's bug report territory honestly
That is part of the spell. You use sever a portion of your body to drown someone.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 08:38:13 PM »
Also some of wyrmling models are semi-transparent, and lion shape is lioness regardless of gender.

Good catch. I'll fix this.

Noticed on the test server that the 5 extra disguise slots from Shifter aren't Polymorph disguise slots... Any chance on getting that changed?

You can use these extra slots for different wild shapes.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 09:01:18 PM »

I can't recreate the lion thing; I get a male lion when I shift.

Lucifron

• Outlander
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 09:31:31 PM »

Good catch. I'll fix this.

You can use these extra slots for different wild shapes.
What I meant by that was the Polymorph Disguise slot seems to act differently than the regular Disguise slots.  No matter your spot, you'll never see someone's actual name if they're using the Polymorph Disguise slot. (This message sense considering you wouldn't be able to tell who q person is if they're a rabbit) that's why I was wondering if we could get them for as Polymorph Diguise slots instead, given we're not just sticking a mask on?

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 09:35:47 PM »
What I meant by that was the Polymorph Disguise slot seems to act differently than the regular Disguise slots.  No matter your spot, you'll never see someone's actual name if they're using the Polymorph Disguise slot. (This message sense considering you wouldn't be able to tell who q person is if they're a rabbit) that's why I was wondering if we could get them for as Polymorph Diguise slots instead, given we're not just sticking a mask on?

Mmm, makes sense. I'll see what can be done.

Lucifron

• Outlander
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 09:37:00 PM »

Mmm, makes sense. I'll see what can be done.
Thanks appreciate all the work you're doing.

Ghailer

• New to the Mists
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 05:08:30 AM »

Strange. I just logged in and I am still female lion. We tested it with another player yesterday and he was the same. You can contact me on Discord if I can help with it somehow.

Coronenko

• Outlander
  • FML
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 12:09:19 PM »

Strange. I just logged in and I am still female lion. We tested it with another player yesterday and he was the same. You can contact me on Discord if I can help with it somehow.

I tried on a halfling shifter and got the female model on the Lion shape, not sure if race would be a possible cause to it

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2021, 12:13:56 PM »
I checked and it works fine; the Dire form has no male/female version, it's always the same appearance. Between level 1 and 12, you get the normal shape, which has both the male and female versions.

Coronenko

• Outlander
  • FML
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2021, 12:34:36 PM »
I'll hop on my shifter test character to check

EDIT
So... Dire Lions are always Lioness?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 12:40:04 PM by Coronenko »

Ghailer

• New to the Mists
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2021, 01:30:29 PM »
If all dires are lionesses, then it would explain everything.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2021, 10:53:38 AM »
If all dires are lionesses, then it would explain everything.

It's actually the prehistoric version of the lion, something like a smilodon or a cave lion.

Ghailer

• New to the Mists
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2021, 03:19:16 PM »
Alright. Sorry for making confusion then!

So for now only thing from me, is that shifter gets up to three dire tiger shapes. Could we replace it with something? Just this single one from shifter. Maybe with something like giant scorpion, so it is different type of shape?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 05:10:04 AM by Ghailer »

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2021, 08:37:41 PM »
These changes are now live on the main servers.