You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Rogue XP.  (Read 3940 times)

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Rogue XP.
« on: May 29, 2016, 04:19:36 AM »
So... Been around for quite sometime, but I've NEVER seen to be able to gain XP by picking locks, sneaking around foes, disabling traps, etc...

How is that suppose to happen?
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Song of Danta

Re: Rogue XP.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 05:27:36 AM »
Reference: Rogue XP.

I guess it's not part of the XP system any more?

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 05:47:39 AM »
You won't get it for locks, traps etc, but you will get it for sneaking past enemies. I've had it awarded to me a few times. The issue, I believe, is that there has to be a reasonable or perhaps probable chance of being detected and you managed to roll well enough to sneak by.

The system is vague but i can vouch for it working on occasion.

"A no wisdom ranger is literally unwise."

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 06:32:33 AM »
Can you give an example of that? Throughout my entire time playing here, I've never once seen anything in the combat log showing that my rogues have received such.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 08:57:22 AM »
I'm pretty sure it was removed a long time ago due to abuse.

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 09:27:17 AM »
Sneaking past werewolf spawns in the outskirts, and wererats in the sewer. I randomly got an "Experience Gained" message with no combat going on around me. Maybe I'm wrongly assuming it was "rogue xp" because I happened to be in stealth mode at the time.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 09:34:23 AM »
I experience the same as Levi from time to time.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 11:31:17 AM »
Yesterday my 5th level rogue scouted as sneaked through many skeleton knights, without no xp gain. And I'm pretty sure there was a chance of being spotted because, well, after some times he was spotted.

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 11:54:31 AM »
Is there a chance for the pair of you that received XP from steathing, that it was from a DM?

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 05:28:39 PM »
It's certainly possible that the xp was from a DM.  There was no indication what it was from in game, but it's happened a few times now while I stealth through dungeons.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 04:45:22 AM »
It is in from sneaking Yes, it is tied to detection and CR, its a risk vs reward thing

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 05:47:54 AM »
I'd ask some minor tweaks to the system, since it seems a little bit unfair... And ranged characteres already get a kick in the xp...

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 09:51:35 AM »
The Greater the risk the Greater the reward, it only makes sense.

And any percieved loss off xp compared to others would be so minor as to have no effect

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 11:15:07 AM »
This thread might be better placed in "Systems"

Anyways...

Despite have a character who specializes in stealth, I can say I've only ever gotten Rouge XP a handful times. I believe there need to be a very real chance of failure for it to give you anything. If anyone happens to the the details behind the system it would make a good article for the wiki.

Maybe there's a way the threshold could be expanded slightly without opening it up to abuse? I feel that if people are questioning a mechanics existence all together it might be a bit too stringent. 

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 01:02:13 PM »
This thread might be better placed in "Systems"

Anyways...

Despite have a character who specializes in stealth, I can say I've only ever gotten Rouge XP a handful times. I believe there need to be a very real chance of failure for it to give you anything. If anyone happens to the the details behind the system it would make a good article for the wiki.

Maybe there's a way the threshold could be expanded slightly without opening it up to abuse? I feel that if people are questioning a mechanics existence all together it might be a bit too stringent.

That's exactly my point: I sneaked past enemies for a long time. Enemies far beyond my CR. In the third run I was scouting I was spotted. And killed.

Thus:

1) I was sneaking.
2) The CR was high.
3) There was a risk of being spotted (I even was).
4) I gained no XP.

So, the system as it is doesn't seem to provide a way to gain XP other than hacking your way through a dungeon, giving other roles to a PC specialize, the primarily function of this system.

I'd question even the "risk of being spotted factor" since battle designed PC's gain XP from creatures they surely won't die fighting. Thus if a level 8 Fighter or Cleric PC is able to go toe to toe with skeletal warriors and gain XP safely, why a rogue designed to sneak have to risk too much more to gain some XP?

I'm just questioning the fact that to me I've never see this system working and if this was created there must be a good reason that, to me, it is not accomplishing.

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 01:11:57 PM »
If the system for stealth xp is actually still in the sever, I really don't think it's working right. I have never gotten stealth XP for any rogue character, against a variety of enemies of different difficulties. Though I honestly have no idea what CR anything is, as there is no definitive guide for that on the forums.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 11:27:30 PM »
I've never seen it working either, and I've logged a lot of time as a rogue.  Not that it ever bothered me -- I use stealth for the in-game benefits (sneak attack, avoidance of being targeted first, scouting, etc.)

Oh -- Hello again, by the way.  I've been away for a bit because of work, but hopefully will be able to log in again for some playtime.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP