Author Topic: Silence Spell  (Read 1910 times)

Song of Danta

Silence Spell
« on: May 17, 2016, 01:48:17 AM »
I was experimenting with 'Silence' yesterday, and found some... oddities. I'm not sure if it's working as intended. Maybe I'm wrong, but this struck me as weird!

1. I cast the spell on a hostile PC. They rolled their save against the silence, but I got silenced, and... vanished. They could not see me at all: not half-visible. Just gone. I could see them.

2. I cast the spell on myself, and the same thing happened: I vanished, as far as the other person could tell. They were not hostile this time.

The description says the spell eliminates the need for MS checks if that has something to do with it, but my character does not use stealth, and was not in stealth mode.
I'm going to try using it to run past some hostile NPCs and see what happens. It would be weird if it was functioning as a pseudo-invisibility spell/sanctuary.

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
Re: Silence Spell
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 02:20:26 AM »
I use the Spell "Silence" alot.

I have never had it provide any sort of 'Invisibility". In fact, casting it removes invisibility.

Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

Song of Danta

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 02:21:07 AM »
Yeah... I wonder why I disappear for other PCs, then?

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 06:08:00 AM »
any chance they were darkness bugged or blinded for some reason?

"A no wisdom ranger is literally unwise."

Song of Danta

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 06:11:01 AM »
Nope, and nope! We'd both just rested (and recently logged in), with no ill-effects or buffs whatsoever upon our characters.

dark_majico

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 11:09:14 AM »
I use the Spell "Silence" alot.

I have never had it provide any sort of 'Invisibility". In fact, casting it removes invisibility.

I don't think Danta means invisibility, I think Danta means the NPC would not communicate with the PC, sort of like when you are invisible and you talk to a PC it says "Huh whos there?" or something, if there is something interfering with the PC's ability to talk to a player through the silence affect of the spell it, it might have this unusual consequence?

A screen shot would be very useful and maybe even a debug command?

Song of Danta

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 09:10:25 PM »
Will test again and try to get a debug. Since nothing unusual was happening on my screen, I'm not sure if a screenshot would help.
Here is a clear break-down:

Two PLAYER CHARACTERS are in a room.

Both had just rested. No buffs. No debuffs.

Silence was cast by my character.

The other seemed confused, and asked, IC, where my character had gone. They could not see or hear me, whatsoever. No stealth-mode or invisibility 'transparency' effect at close range. It was as though my character was no longer there.

I was still completely visible to myself. No stealth-mode or invisibility 'transparency' effect. Silence was affecting my character, but not the other.