You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Crashing on Joining the Server  (Read 2008 times)

Gloryhound

• New to the Mists
  • All men betray and all men are betrayed.
Crashing on Joining the Server
« on: April 12, 2016, 02:35:45 AM »
Hi everyone, can anyone help me?

Regularly lately my game has begun crashing on log-in, even when I'm not in one of the tile-sets that seems to cause that, like the mountain tile-set. Sometimes I can get in, but it takes multiple tries; sometimes my game just decides it doesn't want to join at all. This never happens in single-player, but only when trying to join PotM. I've tried turning down my graphics settings and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I get to the load bar, it goes to the end, and it crashes.

Pav

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Dark Power
  • Heard it all before, pal.
Re: Crashing on Joining the Server
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 02:45:26 AM »
In my experience that only happens around the Balinoks. Try shiny waters, high res font, etc. Toy with the options. Other than, I'd suggest reinstalling the haks or even the game itself.

_Kaz

• Outlander
  • @letgo
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 02:46:36 AM »
Turning off the 'shiny waters' setting generally solves some crash to desktop issues. Otherwise reinstalling Haks has generally helped me on other servers where recurrent crashes happened. Reinstalling game won't change anything. If you've made recent additions to your override folder, that might contribute to crashes too.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 03:12:11 AM »

Regularly lately my game has begun crashing on log-in, even when I'm not in one of the tile-sets that seems to cause that, like the mountain tile-set. Sometimes I can get in, but it takes multiple tries; sometimes my game just decides it doesn't want to join at all. This never happens in single-player, but only when trying to join PotM. I've tried turning down my graphics settings and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I get to the load bar, it goes to the end, and it crashes.

Have you tried logging in to different characters as well?

Also, do you get a windows message saying nwn has stopped working, or does it give you a message about your gpu crashing?
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Gloryhound

• New to the Mists
  • All men betray and all men are betrayed.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 03:14:40 AM »

Have you tried logging in to different characters as well?

Also, do you get a windows message saying nwn has stopped working, or does it give you a message about your gpu crashing?

Yes, I tried an alternate account a few days ago and it happened there as well. I get the "NWN has stopped working" message.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 03:21:42 AM »
did you crit rebuild and/or reinstall and redo all your haks? Have you updated anything recently, or made any changes to your computer in the time leading up to this?

I'm sorry to ask so many questions without offering much in return, I'm just trying to get an idea of what exactly is going on to see if I get any ideas to help and maybe give others that know more some context as well.
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 10:14:16 AM »
If you play on any other servers that use overrides you're going to want to empty your override folder as well.  That coupled with the critical rebuild/reinstall will give you an idea if it's something youve done game wise or I'd its your graphics card being picky.

julienchab

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 11:11:45 AM »
I had this happen to me once, and it was doing it on a single character. When I logged into another character, I could play it just fine. I had to reinstall the whole game, but it stopped the problem after that.

dark_majico

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 01:17:18 AM »
This happened to me on two occasions, once for seemingly no reason when I never used to use overrides (many years ago), and the second was when I installed a cave override that gave better roof textures, so ever since I have stopped using the cave override but carried on using others, I never reccomend the cave override any more because of that, it might have got updated and fixed but it's much harder to check that now.

When it was nothing to do with overrides (before I started using them) I just re installed the game and it fixed the problem. So I would recommend saving your overrides/haks and tlk files and do a fresh install, if it still happens after the fresh install re download all the ravenloft haks and overrides. Definitely save all the haks and overrides first thought because they are harder to find now without the good Neverwinter Vault.

It might also be worth using the system tools and checking your hard drive for errors, doing a defrag, and of course updating and doing a deep scan with your anti viral software, like a good spring clean.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 01:25:13 AM by dark_majico »