You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Nvidia OpenGL Error  (Read 2608 times)

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
Nvidia OpenGL Error
« on: April 09, 2016, 07:49:34 PM »
So out of the blue i was on the DM client when my game crashed and i got this new error:

never received this error before and now when i try to load the game it crashes when the loading bar fills up giving me the same Error. Trying to look into a fix, but having trouble locating even a similar error. if anyone can help me it would be appreciated. ill be MIA from the client until i can figure this out.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: Nvidia OpenGL Error
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 07:50:37 PM »
Have you updated your drivers recently?

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 08:07:34 PM »
not till after the crashes, when i updated them it did not resolve the issue. your referring to Video drivers correct?

Whistlefoot

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 08:10:55 PM »
Uninstall and Reinstall your video card driver, it normally fixes most problems.

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 08:14:03 PM »
i did a clean install which does just that.

Zilvai

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 08:17:16 PM »
I have seen this happen before to others. Does it only affact that DM client character or even your normal characters? Sometimes, even though very rare, it can happen that certain areas out of no apparent reason graphic bug you.

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 08:31:05 PM »
strangely the Player Client works fine, this is only happening with the DM Client which i suppose narrows the problem a bit more. still clueless as to why it would just stop working though.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 09:02:45 PM »
Go to your nVidia settings and try turning the power up to max.

nVidia Control Panel
-> 3D Settings
-> Manage 3D Settings
-> Power Management Mode: Prefer Maximum

Also double check that none of your video options are 'on' in the client. Other than that, you might be out of luck until the drivers get patched.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 09:05:13 PM by BahamutZ3RO »
: )

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 09:20:12 PM »
Go to your nVidia settings and try turning the power up to max.

nVidia Control Panel
-> 3D Settings
-> Manage 3D Settings
-> Power Management Mode: Prefer Maximum

Also double check that none of your video options are 'on' in the client. Other than that, you might be out of luck until the drivers get patched.

yeah im in Windows 10 as of last month, the DM client was running great (better than windows 7) till today.

I tried that solution with no luck as well. I hadn't updated my Graphix Card Driver till after the game started crashing. also didnt make any changes to my PC for a solid month so im clueless as to the sudden cause. tried other games i play and they work fine, so i dont think it is hardware related.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 09:30:06 PM »
I started having crashes after updating to Win10 for the first time. I ended up rolling back and waiting until a couple months ago to make the switch and my card's drivers had fixed whatever was wrong. All I can suggest is check for new or different drivers. :/
: )

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 10:22:40 PM »
Happend to me too i update the driver, restart computer now it work fine.  :mrgreen:

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 01:04:29 AM »
 :arrow: DM client works on my Ravenloft Build Module

:arrow: PC client works, no other problems from other games

:arrow: This all started 15 minutes after we reset the server to end NCE with the new build.

starting to think there is a connection? ive tried everything else, nothing has worked.

Zilvai

• New to the Mists
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 06:36:24 AM »
I think a reset or have another DM port you to another area while you are in load screen will save you. Also, do you have Shining Water enabled in your options? That option is known to bug out many of the new graphic cards. Always disable it.

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 06:45:21 AM »
nah, i tried even making a new DM avatar, same problem. im able to launch the DM client on my POTM builder module just fine. starting to think a recent change in the last update is conflicting with my client some how. ive troubleshooted everything else and that is the only thing i can come up with. the DM client works fine, it is just logging in POTM DM side that is causing the error.

TheGrinningHound

• Dark Lord
  • That's Mr. TheGrinningHound to you
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 04:51:15 PM »
UGH, the bane of my existence. I had similar problems Nvidia Kernel issues and NWN for the better part of two years or so on my laptop. What was infinitely frustrating was that every time I thought I had a fix, and did what I was supposed to, it would work for a time before cropping up again.

The fact that it's only on your DM client confuses me a little, though!

Some of the core Nvidia kernal issues come from NWN being an old game that has unusually slow refresh rates. Some Nvidia cards will believe that the game is actually crashing as it's rendering and loading. There's a way to broaden the accepted refreshing rates, but I forget how and I'm probably not using the right terminology. :/ Someone else might have an idea from this. I think it has to do with underclocking, maybe?

The other things have to do with power related issues. The most common fix is what Bahamut suggested, but if that doesn't work there's a few other things. If you're using a laptop, try unplugging its power cord while playing and see if that changes anything (Or inversely, having your power cord plugged in but your battery removed). Also, when I had this problem on a laptop (I still don't know if you do or don't have one), I disabled my Nvidia card and just used its onboard card instead. This isn't preferable, but it'll run.

Another thing I was told to do was to try running NWN in compatibility mode.

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 05:55:31 PM »
got it working again!

not sure if it was the server being reset, or allowing the comparability wizard to run (recommended Vista service pack 2). either way problem solved, hope it doesn't happen again!

:cheer: :rock: :cheer: :rock:

Ociros

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • New to the Mists
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 06:04:18 PM »
There is rumour that this error can be caused by Nvidia Powermizer. Well, it's more than rumour really. It's quite confirmed and worth a shot to remedy. There's a unofficial program that's said to help with these issues by disabling it entirely.
I haven't tried it as I don't have your issue, so I can't vouch for it's effectiveness. The program itself modifies the registry, which is what most of my further fixes would amount to if this doesn't work. If you're uncomfortable with that, then don't try it and seek alternate solutions. :)

http://www.overclock.net/t/683583/how-to-adjust-nvidias-powermizer

Run the Program as Administrator, Select to turn "Powermizer off", then reboot.

Failing this, there are a couple of further, manual RegEdit tweaks you can do. As I said before, if you're uncomfortable doing this, don't, and find alternate solutions. :)
You can backup any Regedit entries you're going to edit by selecting the 'folder' in the tree, right-clicking and selecting Export. You can then save it to a location and import it back in if something goes awry.

RegEdit 1 - Disabling PowerMizer manually through the RegEdit.

.) Exit all Apps and Programs.
.) Press the WinKey+R keys to display the Run dialog.
.) Type  regedit.exe  and click OK to open the registry editor.
.) Navigate to the following registry key:
        \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{**a series of numbers that are different**}\0000\PerfLevelSrc
.) What we need to do once you found PerfLevelSrc is edit it by double clicking and changing the value data to 3322. Click ok.
.) Find "PowerMizerEnable" and change the value data from 1 to 0.
.) Find "PowermizerLevel" and change the value to 1
.) Find "PowermizerLevelAC" and change value to 1

RegEdit 2 - Changing the GPU Device Timeout (Stops the computer thinking your Game has crashed when it's just still loading)

.) Exit all Apps and Programs.
.) Press the WinKey+R keys to display the Run dialog.
.) Type  regedit.exe  and click OK to open the registry editor.
.) Navigate to the following registry key:
        \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
.)With the GraphicsDrivers key selected, on the Edit menu, click New, and then select the following registry value from the drop-down menu specific to your version of Windows (32 bit, or 64 bit) - NOTE: The TdrDelay name is Case Sensitive:

For 32 bit Windows:
.) Select DWORD (32-bit) value.
.) Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
.) Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and click OK.

For 64 bit Windows:
.) Select QWORD (64-bit) value.
.) Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
.) Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and click OK.

Reboot and test.

Edit: Oops, I got pipped. Good to see it's fixed.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 06:10:47 PM by Ociros »