You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Log In Sanctuary Effect  (Read 2918 times)

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« on: April 11, 2016, 07:41:20 PM »
Iv had the unfortunate opportunity to log in next to hostiles a few times, usually i am able to quickly invis and get away with my life.

Sadly today was not such, logged out last night in a spot i believed safe after killing a single hostile on the far side of the map and spending three or so hours rping thre with not so much as a bird or other weak critter about. When i logged in today it didn't get more then a few seconds in game before i was being attacked and killed before even spending more then a min in game.

Which is what made me think that it might be a good idea for a temp sanctuary effect that last five seconds or so when you log in to make sure your actually in game, can see whats going on and get safely away if you happen to log in next to something hostile.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
Re: Log In Sanctuary Effect
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 02:45:16 AM »
I like this idea.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 03:17:58 AM »
the problem I can see with this seems pretty obvious imo-someone gets in to trouble, so they relog, giving them a short duration sanctuary.

It's probably a better idea for players to make sure they log out in safe places rather than have the developers work on something that isn't necessary, as long as players just log out in safe places. I don't mean somewhere you figure is safe because there are no hostiles, I mean like-an inn, or the vallaki temple, or something of that nature.

You can even dungeon log safely without fearing the possibility of the script not working so long as you dungeon log where nothing spawns. The entrance of a dungeon is generally safe, unless you're in Sithicus. You should pretty much never assume you're safe there anyway  ;)
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

Skullmonkey

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 03:22:57 AM »
This could be implemented using a delay. For instance, the effect is applied only if you stood like 30 minutes offline. This way, if you were in a dungeon it will reset and you won't be able to exploit it whatsoever

dark_majico

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 04:06:02 AM »
The
the problem I can see with this seems pretty obvious imo-someone gets in to trouble, so they relog, giving them a short duration sanctuary.

It's probably a better idea for players to make sure they log out in safe places rather than have the developers work on something that isn't necessary, as long as players just log out in safe places. I don't mean somewhere you figure is safe because there are no hostiles, I mean like-an inn, or the vallaki temple, or something of that nature.

You can even dungeon log safely without fearing the possibility of the script not working so long as you dungeon log where nothing spawns. The entrance of a dungeon is generally safe, unless you're in Sithicus. You should pretty much never assume you're safe there anyway  ;)

I agree, the only safe place in the module are designated safe areas, if you do not log out in these you are not safe.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 04:11:17 AM »
The issue with "finding a safe place" is that short of logging out in places like inns, temples, vistani camp no where is really "safe". Specially in out door areas, even if they are unsafe you dont get booted to some safe zone like a dungeon so your entirely SOL if you need to quickly log. Which also makes getting somewhere safe impracticable because when you have to go, you have to go. You cant just call into work, or tell loved ones "Sorry, to avoid dying i have to run back across several zones to log somewhere i'm 100% sure i'm not going to die horribly if i log in tomorrow".

With any system there is always going to be the chance for abuse, and those who are going to try and abuse it. Its just going to happen, but the upside of not having to put real life on hold just to avoid something that should never happen to begin with seems pretty worth it. Specially for those who loose gear, coin and are forced to play our encounters that shouldn't even of happened in the first place. Or have to try and arrange someone to come rescue them because they put rl before a game, and now have to pay the price.

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 04:33:04 AM »
Okay, I get what you're saying, but I would have to disagree that it's so difficult to find a spot that you know you can safely log out in.

Additionally, creating a delay is essentially the same thing as creating a dungeon log script-so you're really just making a fail safe. I don't think that redundant systems are efficient or useful for the purposes of this game. If something doesn't work how it's supposed to and there are severe, negative consequences for it, you can always appeal to the CC or a DM. But these cases are fairly rare. We've probably all had them happen to us, but how often? It sucks, yes, but it's much more managable imo to deal with on a case by case basis than to creates far more opportunity for exploitation than it does prevent cases of I guess.. wrongful death? Or whatever you wanna call it. And lets not forget, there's no overriding reason your character should be ported out of a dungeon if they log there other than ooc convenience-they didn't leave, so if it doesn't work you could also take it in stride ic as well. It won't be the end of you, it might suck and set you back a little as I said, but it's nothing world shattering.

Skullmonkey

• Outlander
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 05:24:33 AM »
Additionally, creating a delay is essentially the same thing as creating a dungeon log script-so you're really just making a fail safe.

What if, for instance, you log out near the fishing lodge at day and log back in at night? There is a chance you might be killed by werewolves, and in this case the automatic port to a safe area shouldn't work (or would it?).

Kendaric

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 06:36:04 AM »
If you log out near the fishing lodge or any other safe zone, you might as well enter the safe area to log out in a safe zone.

Admittedly, that may not help caliban or other outcasts, but that's the price you pay for playing an outcast.

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 06:37:36 AM »
Additionally, creating a delay is essentially the same thing as creating a dungeon log script-so you're really just making a fail safe.

What if, for instance, you log out near the fishing lodge at day and log back in at night? There is a chance you might be killed by werewolves, and in this case the automatic port to a safe area shouldn't work (or would it?).

You wouldn't, no-but my point being if you're logging in random places like that then sure-there's a chance that something might happen when you log in-but the chance is minor, unless you think it's a good idea to log out where you just killed something, and to implement a system that could be abused to prevent a thing that happens only a very small percentage of the time and can be dealt with by people on a case by case basis seems unnecessary.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 07:40:28 AM »
best thing about being a rogue... Stealth before logging if always unsure WOOO!!!!! [ fists in air]

But in all seriousness while it sounds nice, I can see it being used wrongly. most of us are veteran players and we know the risks. We should know by now that if we don't think a place is safe, find a better spot or run to the last safe place you know of. ( safe being where nothing spawns that will kill you.) IE: most places during the day...Resaults may vary depending on location if we don't, then we know we risk probably coming back in and being killed by whatever might be near us.

I know if I am never sure if the place is safe or not to log back in at on a character I wont play them till a reset.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 07:29:52 PM »
This is a non-issue. It is a player's responsibility to log out in a safe enough zone (which is even rather easy to do btw). Now, I understand that real life circumstances may sometime force us to drop off the game at inconvenient times and places, but this should not happen often enough that we genuinely need to add another layer of script firing on every time someone logs in.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 07:47:44 PM »
Can we please have it so anyone loggin into an unsafe zone finds that Lyssa has tied their shoelaces together and sharpied a large willy on their forehead while they were logged out?

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 08:19:02 PM »
Can we please have it so anyone loggin into an unsafe zone finds that Lyssa has tied their shoelaces together and sharpied a large willy on their forehead while they were logged out?

Hey, it's a better option than said character logging back in and finding the incriminating Sharpie shoved into some...sensitive...body cavity.... :lol:  "Lyzza wus hear"
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 08:27:24 PM »
This is a minor inconvenience at best and I don't think this requires anything special. It's not difficult to spend 30 seconds to run to a corner of the area where you would reasonably expect no monsters to spawn or prowl.

If you need to suddenly drop everything and log off quite frequently (truly?), the question is raised as to why you are running around in dangerous zones in the first place.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 11:41:38 PM »
Sorta agree with Nocturne on this one..

We all know by now what places are safe and not safe. and we know we take risks when logging out and logging back in if we logged last in a unsafe area... Best thing? Play a different character till a server reset if you are truely scared.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero