Author Topic: Let Level 20 Storing XP for Enchanting.  (Read 6484 times)

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
Let Level 20 Storing XP for Enchanting.
« on: April 10, 2016, 07:01:45 AM »
I would like to see hard Cap remove for level 20 and let gaining XP normally though cannot level up we can still use the XP to enchanting. With the current system we cannot give away or abuse it anyway. Any Enchanting will be personal usage this is like Azalin Rex and his level Cap.

Skullmonkey

• Outlander
Re: Let Level 20 Storing XP for Enchanting.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 07:11:13 AM »
I think it would make enchanting too easy, because with no cap you XP very, very fast.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 07:14:54 AM »
Agreed with Skullmonkey here.  It also makes the journey to level 20 much shorter, without enchanting on the way being quite so attractive, and I know that quicker levelling isn't a thing that is really suitable for Ravenloft as a whole.  It is, at present, a little too easy to exploit.

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 09:26:50 AM »
Iam not suggesting removing the CAP ! Listen people. No what i mean is that at level 20 we get permanent XP cap which no matter what we do we will not receive XP. I was just suggesting that we get same XP cap for over the time we gain amount of XP. And use that storage XP to Enchant insted of drop a level. .. This also same as level 16 close to level 17 enchanted a helmet 7k XP he does not drop a level but the XP he accumulate was used in enchant process. And still CAP from gaining XP too fast in short of time.

Right now is more like Enchanting everything at level 14, easy to get XP everything you kill give XP and easy to level back up.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 09:29:19 AM by Mayvind »

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 09:48:05 AM »
Actually that was what I thought you meant - but I still stand by saying its not a good idea.  Even though few characters ever make it to level 20 on this server (most die well before that happens, or get moved on from) I don't think a freebie xp sink for enchanting would be a very good idea overall, to be honest.  It seperates the haves and have nots, and it also seems to just encourage the race to 20 for the penalty-less experience gain.  Honestly, I actually like the fact that Potm 'doesn't' encourage you to get to end game level as quickly as possible, and has plenty of things to slow you down along the way.  I still find it a bit of a shock I've gotten as high level as I have with my main, and its always been a pleasant surprise to get a level.  I cannot speak for everyone, but I can understand the lack of enthusiasm for incentives to reach level 20 amongst the team - it 'does' make it hard to balance everything.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 01:18:39 PM »
No

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 01:42:27 PM »
I was kinda under the impression that enchanting gear, which becomes some of the most powerful available, should come at a certain cost. Sometimes that means losing a level, other times making it all the longer journey which increases the life span of characters. While creating a XP buffer post level 20 would not really remove the "cost", i.e xp, it's certainly helping you avoid the repercussions of enchanting gear. I really don't think this would be a healthy design  decision.

"A no wisdom ranger is literally unwise."

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 03:56:38 PM »
If this could be done I would have enchanted everything I could get my hands on ages ago with Dante. As it is, I have to think about whether I want something enchanted or not and decide whether losing a lvl-and by the way you can't gain xp for like a week after you delevel from 20-at all, is worth it.

I don't really think it would add anything to the server in a positive way
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Nemonic

• New to the Mists
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 02:33:41 PM »
While I generally agree that it would probably make enchanting too easy, I can think of a good reason to implement this...

Red Dragon Disciples. There's a known bug with RDD: the ability score boosts you get from RDD levels do not disappear when you lose those levels -- they modify the base ability score of the character when you gain the level. Even worse, this means you get them AGAIN when you gain those levels back. At level 20, RDD gets +2 Charisma, so an RDD enchanter who hits level 20 would be gaining +2 to Charisma all the time. Considering that RDDs come from classes that greatly benefit from high Charisma, this is a pretty big problem.

If you could gain at least some XP above level 20 to use with enchanting, while you could still exploit the bug if you really wanted, you wouldn't have to trigger this bug to enchant anything. I'm not sure if that's reason enough to add a small XP buffer above level 20, but I thought it ought to be mentioned.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 03:20:25 AM »
I don't think this is a change that's likely to be made, it goes against the design of enchantment being a good XP sink for high level PCs and essentially makes enchanting 'free' for level 20 PCs, as the only thing they'd lose is XP that doesn't count towards anything.

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 08:46:21 AM »
The current system ensures someone like me who sucks at all mechanical aspects of the game will never ever see an enchanted piece of gear.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 09:00:54 AM »
The current system ensures someone like me who sucks at all mechanical aspects of the game will never ever see an enchanted piece of gear.

That is not true. All YOU ( the player) need to do is meet these criteria's...

1: Be level 14+

2: get the required magical essence

3: Get a enchanter that is skilled enough to use the machine.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 09:15:31 AM »

That is not true. All YOU ( the player) need to do is meet these criteria's...

1: Be level 14+

2: get the required magical essence

3: Get a enchanter that is skilled enough to use the machine.

I've never ogtten past level 6. And getting to level 6 was a major achievement for me.

Also, I thought they changed it so that only the person who enchanted the gear can wear the gear?

DM Ariadne

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 09:27:04 AM »
Enchanted gear can now only be worn by the person who gave up XP for it, not the enchanter.
"You think that a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a thread, a sheet of glass."

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 09:30:20 AM »
I think Syl's point was that you need an enchanter to enchant the item for you, if you're not an arcane caster class.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 09:42:46 AM »
I think Syl's point was that you need an enchanter to enchant the item for you, if you're not an arcane caster class.

Yes this is what I meant. The player wanting the item enchanted becomes the Catalyst giving their strength into the item. and the arcane user, is the enchanter the one that just activates the machine and moves the energy from the person to the item.

THink I used the right word.. maybe Vessel would have been better.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 01:41:58 PM »
Obviously if you are unable to put in the time and effort to get to level 14 for whatever reason then no, you will not get enchanted gear. But this is not an issue with balance.  Its a fact of life that some people can't play as much as others.

But there is no real setback besides time. If you are on you can get XP and level.

dark_majico

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 02:46:37 PM »
I would like to see hard Cap remove for level 20 and let gaining XP normally though cannot level up we can still use the XP to enchanting. With the current system we cannot give away or abuse it anyway. Any Enchanting will be personal usage this is like Azalin Rex and his level Cap.

I don't see anything wrong with how the system is at the moment, I can't see a need or a benefit overall for the suggested change, sorry.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 07:55:06 PM »
I've never ogtten past level 6. And getting to level 6 was a major achievement for me.

I've not played a character from level 6 through to 14 in ages, but getting to level 14 doesn't really require that much hard work or mechanical expertise; befriend the competent dungeoneers, hide at the back, you'll get to level 14 quickly enough.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 06:16:03 AM »
Not a proponent of this idea either. There would be no loss to be had so there would be no incentive to not enchant when ever your XP overflows by enough.

I've not played a character from level 6 through to 14 in ages, but getting to level 14 doesn't really require that much hard work or mechanical expertise; befriend the competent dungeoneers, hide at the back, you'll get to level 14 quickly enough.

Wouldn't that make it into less of an achievement, though? In my books, the biggest mistake I did as a newbie was to purposefully modify my character's reactions in accordance to what would allow me to tag with much higher level characters in order to maximize XP gain. I regret it as it pretty much killed all the excitement of finding out where those specific dungeons were and how to best handle them.

I think the most appreciable way of reaching the mid-high levels is to start off with a small group of pals with concepts that allow a lot of adventure and so. It's nice that way. Also no shame in reading up about the NWN mechanics or checking some example builds.. Just get the few tricks down and you're set.

Well, it's just a small craft providing powerful gear, which isn't really needed in the game before high levels. A very nice, but still relatively minor, affair. You don't lose out on much.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 06:20:33 AM by Exordium »

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 04:45:51 PM »
Bumping this topic since it's somewhat related.

About 8 days ago, I enchanted a new piece of gear for a level 20 character. The cap has not changed and is still talking of "mental exhaustion". Is this working normally? I would have expected after 8 days for the cap to decrease, but so far there's no indication that it has.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 05:46:01 PM »
Bumping this topic since it's somewhat related.

About 8 days ago, I enchanted a new piece of gear for a level 20 character. The cap has not changed and is still talking of "mental exhaustion". Is this working normally? I would have expected after 8 days for the cap to decrease, but so far there's no indication that it has.
It's been a while since I've had an XP cap on any characters but if I'm remembering right 7 days isn't unusual for the "mentally exhausted" state.  Blind drive is much worse.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 05:49:37 PM »
Thanks!

MJ_Johansson

• Dark Lord
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 07:38:08 PM »
It takes about 2 weeks give or take, depending on how much you push the cap back up, before the penalty after losing lvl 20 goes away.
"Let love guide you, not fear."

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 07:51:15 PM »
I know a couple years back I was traveling for nearly a month and it still took a few days after returning to come completely off that exhaustion, it's been suggested to me before that actually spending time ig rping will help it go away faster but I have no idea if that's true or not-so please, do -not- take that as anything but secondhand speculation  :lol:
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir