Author Topic: Rules  (Read 8126 times)

Dud_Goose

• Undead Slayer
  • The Abominable
Re: Rules
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2016, 01:31:28 PM »
On the permadeath rp server I once played on, the risk was interesting at first, but as you get a death or two under your belt, the experience becomes a little paranoid, especially with conflict everywhere.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

-Charles Bukowski

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2016, 02:06:12 PM »
The system is fine the way it is.

DM Brimstone

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2016, 02:10:52 PM »
Just for the sake of argument, what would you guys think about applying the strict PnP death rules? Immediate loss of one level, or two points of CON if you're level 1, even on a Resurrection.

I dig it! Let's make this happen.

TheFury

• Undead Slayer
  • "As you can see, Drew is the server bully."-Deceit
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2016, 02:28:18 PM »
Gotta agree with Heaven here. I like the system the way it is, unless you only wanted to implement it for higher level characters. As it stands, a scythe-wielding skeleton can just roll lucky and instantly kill you at lower levels no matter how well you plan or anything like that, and all that will lead to is sheer frustration at losing what you've worked hard because of a single roll. This is a game, and it's fundamentally supposed to be something we feel good about participating in-not something that has half the fun sucked out of it from paranoia and always being on the edge.

Besides, we already do have an EXP penalty for self-resurrection. I could see extending the death stat penalty for longer, but that rule would be too trying of players.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:31:11 PM by TheFury »
Get yourself a weapon that spits unending fire.
Discord Info: Kaithas#7352
Inactive. PM me for Trentor Atiens.
Happy Ending Offenders: Famorra Arendayel, Kymil Lornenil.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2016, 02:29:56 PM »
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2016, 02:39:13 PM »
Anything that makes the server harder is probably a bad idea, as I don't think anyone (at least not anyone who isn't pretty high level) thinks this server is too easy. Rather than continuing to make it a place that is less and less attractive to new blood, it would be preferable if developers put their limited energy into some of the many "nice" things players have asked for.

Regarding the specific of a constitution drain, that is less of a penalty, for example, in settings in which it is easier to boost one's ability scores than here. Moreover, it actually penalizes a beginning character worse than a high level because XP can be recouped. Ability scores cannot.

The XP penalty already exists as an option...for those who want to take it and think it is the "right" way to play. Making it mandatory, therefore, would be reducing player choice and imposing the preference of one group of players on another.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2016, 02:58:54 PM »
I don't think it should change, personally. I'm just pointing out to those people who are asking for more severe death mechanics what the next step might be.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

dark_majico

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2016, 03:11:11 PM »
I don't think it should change, personally. I'm just pointing out to those people who are asking for more severe death mechanics what the next step might be.

Actually only one poster started to talk about death mechanics until you asked the question, and noah25 did not say specifically that the server should have severe death mechanics. The originator of the thread just wanted to talk about more loot from a players inventory being dropped, and they certainly didn't ask for death mechanics to be severe either.

Meridian

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2016, 04:23:08 PM »

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2016, 04:42:28 PM »

Actually only one poster...(snip)

Sometimes a rhetorical device such as Arawn used here lowers the level of "personal" disagreement. That is, instead of saying "I'm pointing out to noah25" (or whomever), a more general wording ("those people who") keeps the focus on the point, rather than who said it. Moreover, El Jefe agreed with the idea, regardless of whether he had chimed in yet or not.

Even if many of us (myself included) see stiffer death penalties as a bad idea, it's better to frame the debate in a way that encourages others to contribute.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2016, 04:46:54 PM »
While the system we have works, I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of limit on deaths. Perhaps after x amount there generates a level loss or stat penalty. Might make death seen as less trivial as some see it currently
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2016, 06:00:07 PM »
While the system we have works, I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of limit on deaths. Perhaps after x amount there generates a level loss or stat penalty. Might make death seen as less trivial as some see it currently

That would be cool if not for the risks involved in an online game. I've been killed far more often by glitches, lag and bugs than by simply doing something stupid. It would be really bad if you had a crash death and that was the end of your character.

Bells And Whistles

• Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Undead Slayer

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2016, 11:39:11 PM »
I think we should institute the same rule my parents instituted when they got me my first BB gun:  "whatever you kill, you have to eat"

:dubious:

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP