Author Topic: Sprucing up Vallaki  (Read 8089 times)

dark_majico

Re: Sprucing up Vallaki
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2016, 06:06:34 AM »
What about getting farms and farmers in the western outskirts?

That's a tricky design decision. If you do that, you alienate a lot of the current characters that frequent the outskirts, thus making it less popular as a low level hub. That hub is placed there for a reason. If it ends up being empty because only a certain set of characters can go there, new players will have a much harder time finding RP. There's nothing more discouraging as a new player than walking through tons of areas and finding no one to RP with.

I disagree, and if it was designed to be for mages to cast spells willy nilly in the outskirts and pretend they are not in a land that fears magic, I would say that it was kind of designed bad.

Mind you the idea, was to show that outskirts was still well part of vallaki, and still had the same general barovianess as the rest of the city. Not be a mini fearun/eberron/planescape land. Having NPCs here would help the immersivness of the area. They would still go into the hovels at night, so people can cast freely like there is no tomorrow during the night.

Though personally, i would rather see the actual town of vallaki being used. The market district being used as a place to sell things, public announcements being made in the town square, preaching for the various churchly factions, people looking to recruit  in the town square. but alas, we got little fearun instead of a medieval town.

Could always be solved with a notice directing newcomers to a certain area in the town to look for work.  Install a couple street signs, and you're good.
That is always good too. :)

Also what of moving houlgraves to where simon's quill shop is, ie from the residential to the market district district? or making Simon's shop into a new shop?

It does feel as if the outskirts isn't part of Barovia sometimes, it's like a micro pocket of shelter which is just down to the way the game mechanics work, even though there is an inn ran by a native, a church, and guards posted on the walls close by. If there was some more city life spilling over from the city I don't think it would stop the area being a hub, but it would make people think twice about casting spells and acting rash. What if traders walked through into the city from time to time? Or some other more general NPC's where present, even if they are just peasant, or something connected to the agriculture, forestry, or the fishing trade?

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2016, 07:24:17 PM »
I might do updates for other districts like i did for the docks. In fact i started allready on the slums though that is on hold for now.

Building out off the mists

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2016, 02:43:50 PM »
I think herkles meant more like wandering people going into the town, or just lingering near the church and inn area?

I don't recall which DM was responsible for that, but for a little while there was a always a mob of peasants with pitchforks going to or coming from their day in the fields in the western outskirt. They would incidentally hunt down any freaks and calibans they'd see on the outskirt out of fear. That was brilliant. I remember poor low level Cernunnos almost make an heart attack first time he ran into them.

We don't need more NPCs that stay the whole day there on the outskirt, for reasons others have already mentioned. But this bunch of peasants coming in and out at dawn and dusk would just be awesome. It reinforces the idea that calibans and freaks are not welcome in Barovia. And of course hurting any of the peasants would be reason enough to get a bounty on one's head.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 02:45:24 PM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2016, 04:01:08 PM »
Well the village is supposed to be small. Few people want to stay there for very long.

Having said that, I do plan on adding one more area as part of the actual village and several more dungeons nearby.

Could a way to circumvent the village entirely to get to the Svalich Wood and areas beyond the village be added? As it stands, you have no choice but to go through it.

Zwickelfaust

• The Gorefist
  • Dark Power
  • Catching natural 20s from monsters since birth.
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2016, 03:53:02 PM »
How about in the western outskirts, add a bridge connecting the north and south walls so while on wall duty, us guards don't have to open and close so many doors and risk going to ground level if we are patrolling the length of the walls. Just stick it behind the gates where the distance between the two walls are closest
Hjorta the Heartless- Seidr Wight
Allek Mars- Dawnbringer
Asmund Ingvar- Berserker Runemaster

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2016, 04:08:56 PM »
We're looking at the walls right now, actually.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Truth_USMC

• Undead Master
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2016, 09:41:21 PM »
Personally I think places like Krofburg really embody the backwater country feel and add really well to the setting, so maybe sticking with that image is the key?
'Smile, be polite and have a plan to kill everyone you meet" -Marine saying

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2016, 09:47:41 PM »
If the staff is accepting suggestions for alterations, in the outskirts there is that big tree between the inn and the gate. Not sure if its a tileset option or a plc. But if it is a plc could it be lowered some to make it so you can get closer to it?