You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Halfling/Pictic Ghettos  (Read 1875 times)

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
Halfling/Pictic Ghettos
« on: March 01, 2016, 05:10:52 AM »
Could a tiny part of the Vallaki slums be turned/designated into a halfling/pictic ghetto? With some npcs added, maybe even a hole in the wall tiny person tavern/inn where everything is made short and tiny?

If such is added, would it be possible to extend such to port as well in their slums, and maybe even a little farm outside the village that is a flop house of sorts for other halflings/small folk passing through?

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
Re: Halfling/Pictic Ghettos
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 11:15:21 AM »
I'd not think such would be very cannon in Ravenloft lore, or even plausible fiscally when you break it down...

Statistically speaking, Barovia is about 30,000 people. Of which, 98% are human, 1% Vistani, 1% Other. The other 1% is around 300 people, incorporating elves, dwarves, and halflings, amongst other assorted races. For sake of this argument though, I'll stick with just those 3... so lets say there are 100 Halflings residing in barovia. Cannon lore, shows most of the Barovian halflings live in hovels around the Village, acting as farmers. (We have ingame representation of this with the little Halfling home near the Ants).
So, lets say 80% of these represent these common-place farmers.. leaving 20 halflings in the rest of Barovia. Ignoring the rest of the communities, for sake of ease, lets say this puts 10 in Vallaki, then, and 10 in the village.

Now... even a hole in the wall tavern is going to require more customer-base then 10 halflings. And that's assuming they are all able to make a living (as jobs for such would be hard, doing things like rat-catching and the like). More would likely integrate in the drain community, or just on the fringes of society, then be allowed to make a place for themselves.

Further, I doubt land owners are going to go out of their way to make such available. Halflings are pretty second rate citizens in Barovian society. They aren't Caliban, but they aren't human, either... And 10 halflings isn't going to keep a business paying the Countess' taxes for long.

But, I think adding -something- might be a great idea! If something was going to be made for the halfling community, I'd love to the representation of the common barovian halflings. A small grouping of houses or something out near the village. This is where you'd be more likely to see a tavern for the little-folk, where most the halfling population would be. The single home that's in the server now could certainly be expanded upon, make a small community much like the elves or dwarves currently have in their places. Could add vendors or what not, much like the other communities, and open a place for racial faction growth.
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

Olywynn

• Likes to say "Nyeh heh heh!"
  • Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 11:23:53 AM »
Most Halflings live in Teufeldorf or Zeidenburg in ghettos.  Outside of there, there aren't many Barovian halflings.  Most are from old Gundarak.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 11:30:25 AM »
There also is already a halfling ghetto in Port. You can enter the area but I'm not sure any of the bushings have interiors.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 12:33:29 PM »
There also is already a halfling ghetto in Port. You can enter the area but I'm not sure any of the bushings have interiors.

Really? Where? I havnt noticed one while wandering around unless it really isnt noticeable in any way.

As for where the gheto's would be located i got such from here: http://www.nwnravenloft.com/world_races.html#halflings

Which had;

"Any settlement in Ravenloft of sufficient size may boast a halfling community, though these may be ghettos. Some halflings have settled down to form permanent communities."

Id love for official lore stated specific settlements for the halflings, that would be fully fleshed out and be supportive for our racial specific rp. But the additions of new areas is rather sparatic. Some concessions have been made in the past as well if it is conducive to rp, like the elven area which i believe isnt official either?

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 12:38:45 PM »
The clincher is the 'sufficient size' part. Vallaki's kinda small on the grand scale of things, I think most of Barovia's bigger cities aren't in-game. Halflings tend to be more populous in places like Borca, Richemulot, Darkon, mmmaybe Sithicus? I've never understood whether the Halflings in Sithicus are actually Halflings or technically Kender or what.

Tangent but I would love to play a bitter, battle-scarred Sithican Kender. Oh my god.
: )

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 12:42:44 PM »
The Halfling slums miuo in port is very..very small.and there is only one way and that is near a North western? trans near the bounty office... or is that NE?? I cannot remember the direction on the compass so it might be south... I know Where.. but not the direction heh...

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 12:44:14 PM »
Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu D: The kenders need to be rounded up and purified with fire :S! Not sure there is really any place or race that would vouch to safe them or put in the effort to do so XD

The Halfling slums miuo in port is very..very small.and there is only one way and that is near a North western? trans near the bounty office... or is that NE?? I cannot remember the direction on the compass so it might be south... I know Where.. but not the direction heh...

Its still helpful as it gives me a general area to look around in to see if i can find it.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 12:47:45 PM »
Head to the gendarmerie in the savant and then walk out the gate as if you were going into ouvrier, turn right instead of going through the transition. The entrance is behind some buildings.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 12:55:02 PM by FinalHeaven »

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 12:48:27 PM »
Warning: There are some angry spawns down there at night that will probably kill you.
: )

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 01:23:15 PM »
SO glad FinalHeaven knows Port like that to explain it better then I can.. You can actually see the Halfling slums in the slum area of port. it is actually lower then the normal streets.

But yes don't go during night. things do spawn down there and will attack.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 09:20:52 PM »
As previously mentioned, there's already one in Port-à-Lucine. Other Barovian towns currently implemented are too small to have a proper halfling ghetto. Vallaki's population is 1500 and out of those, 1% are non-humans. That's 15 non-humans (elves, dwarves, halflings, gnomes) for all of Vallaki.