You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Alchemy recipes and greater regeants  (Read 3415 times)

julienchab

Alchemy recipes and greater regeants
« on: February 16, 2016, 09:01:11 PM »
Not sure if it's the good place to post this, so feel free to move it.

A while back, the alchemy recipes were all changed, and greater varnishes became much harder to make. Regeants that used to give three greater essences now give only one, and regeants that used to give one greater essence need three of that ressource to make only one essence. Some regeants that used to make greater essences now sometimes make strong essences.

The recipes for strong varnishes didn't seem to change from what I've seen(but I could be wrong). Greater varnishes and essences are now much harder to make since the regeants now give 3x less essences but regeant piece. There is now much more possiblities to make strong varieties of varnishes, and much less possibilities to make the greater type.

The best place to get those types of regeants is of course Perfidus. After a trip there yesterday, and counting the regeants, here is what I had:

78 aberations biles
10 pit fiend hearts
14 gelugons hearts

This made for a grand total of 234 strong acid varnishes, 10 greater fire and 4 greater cold.

If the old recipes aren't coming back, would it be possible to add some gelugons in Perfidus to at least make it possible to craft more of the greater types? Perfidus is already a pain to go now since it takes so much to get to travelling the mists, and the clearing time of the dungeon too.

Any thoughts?

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
Re: Alchemy recipes and greater regeants
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 09:20:23 PM »
I've said this in the past, I think Sithicus is a good option for this. Giving some of the monsters there who are incredibly difficult reagents that they drop would give more of a reward in a place that many consider to have very low reward, whether that is true or not. It would also give you reasons to go to the most dangerous place available in the core other than  having a death wish  :lol: I'm thinking of one boss in particular who would, in my mind, sensibly drop 1 reagent that would create 3 greater icy essences. Maybe even an utter dark residue as well. Considering the ridiculous amount of time and danger faced to get to this 1 spawn, I don't feel that it would be flooding the market or farmed. There's also plenty of other spawns around that could drop stuff, and it would just make it a more interesting place imo. Anyway, you're right. The alchemy recipe's changed, without notice, supposedly because of some script that didn't implement for whatever reason. I don't like it, but no one else has spoken up to agree or disagree, so I think there's a large amount of apathy towards it that might make getting anything changed just about impossible :|
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 04:19:38 AM »
Gelugons are already rather easy, compared to other spawns in perfidus, and theres not really anyplace more could be added (unless they just increase the spawn-size, I suppose, and put more in each spawn).  The outside is the only place that you could add them though, and really... greater varnishes are supposed to be harder to make anyway, and you get a few here already! I'd say just be happy with what you can get, you know?

I'd rather see other dungeons revamped and reagents added elsewhere, then putting more into a dungeon that already has some of the best loot on the server, along with a plethora of alchemical reagants already.
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 07:28:50 AM »
COuld always find a small group of the ice demons roaming the mist lol

and if I recall best place for ice varnishes is the Ice witch lair during the middle of winter where it's practically death if you're outside her cave to long.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

DM Cataclysm

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 12:36:10 PM »
I would agree that it would be nice to see a few more gelugons added in. A year or more ago, I posted that the XP in Perfidus seems low in comparison to some other areas for the relative challenge. The response was essentially: you don't go to Perfidus for XP, you go for the loot and reagents.

Since then, it's been taken out of the caravan service and requires an often lengthy trip through the mists, along with the added factor that you come out with a lot fewer essences from the crafting recipe change (aside from the disproportionately large amount of acidic). You also have to trek back through the mist with a heavy load, which requires some creative solutions.

I still like to go here, because I think it's a really fun and well built dungeon, but it's been increasingly difficult to gather up groups to go. The time requirement, danger, and potential gains feel like they're getting a little out of balance - in regards to the gelugons specifically, assuming 100% crafting success, you often don't have enough for each party member to get 1 varnish. The last few times I've been have been pretty dismal on loot as welll (possibly just bad luck) - but you tend to wind up with a decent haul of stuff to pawn to merchants and very few things anyone wants to keep. 

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 01:24:35 AM »
Loot has always been Perfidus' draw. Malthor has the largest variety of potential loot on the server (or one of the largest, I don't have a large variety of info from Sithicus bosses yet!). Quite a few unique items that only drop from him, as far as my tracking and notes go. Sure, with that variety unfortunately comes a downpour of junk too, and sometimes you come up empty, but thats the downside of loot, in general.

Not saying they -shouldn't- add more, but rather then change up the cold varnishes, what about a change to the acid varnishes? I've always wondered why there are no greater acids... perhaps a change to the biles, make the bigger ones craft 3 biles --> 1 essense for greater acids. Puts more variety in the mix, rewards with higher end varnishes, and keeps Ice Palace in having a small purpose in having the better location for cold varnishes.

And its not -that- hard to find Perfidus. It usually took me 5-10 minutes of looking on Bree when I was bored. Occasionally took longer, and of course would take longer with a group if your clearing the Mists.. but that has its own rewards in the reagants.

Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 01:30:14 AM »
Recently they did actually add in a spawn for a Greater Acidic ingredient; I think there's three essences-worth each clear of the dungeon. It's somewhere in Dementlieu.

I do agree that something could be changed about the Strong Acidic ingredients in Perfidus, at the moment there's an almost unnecessary amount there.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 03:54:51 PM »
Before the dungeon in Perfidus was moved to where it is today, there was a monster inside that dropped reagents for greater acid essences. It was removed from the dungeon when it left Barovia for Perfidus, but as qwerty said, there's a new dungeon that you can obtain the same reagents from. Huzzah!
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 04:08:00 PM »
Yeah probably that Filth of a dungeon. [shudders] Monica is STILL washing her cloths to make sure the smell is out...

Xegzy

• New to the Mists
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 01:16:49 PM »
The ice witch you guys have been talking about isnt the one supposedly the one on top of baratak mountain is it? That area has been broken for it least a year.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 01:36:46 PM »
The ice witch you guys have been talking about isnt the one supposedly the one on top of baratak mountain is it? That area has been broken for it least a year.

Broken how? As long as I've been here it's been the same, it's only really on a super high spawn in winter, which makes sense, seeing as it's ice. Though, it's not one of the places I've gone to routinely so, I could be wrong
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 01:47:09 PM »
Yeah the ice witch isn't bugged or broken.. to get the best spawn as Ladylena said, you have to go up in the middle of winter.. sometime in month 12, where the temp gets so cold as you climb you start taking around 30-40 damage until you get inside her cave where it drops to a more normal level... hehe... But once in there SOOO many ice regents.

Xegzy

• New to the Mists
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 05:33:01 PM »
I want to say it was about a year and a half ago. Where I was on thralia, and I was in a group with rodor, his wife and two others.  Anyway we spend about an hour and a half walking there. We get there and place is about empty. Like a single apparition that a level 2 could take down. One of the two others went " hey it looks like it's been recently done so I'll ask a Dm to reset it."

We don't get a response.

The guy who requested the reset said screw it I'm a dm. I'll reset it.
He logs off and gets into his dm account. Then he says to us on his dm account that's it's broken. Details are pretty fuzzy at that point.
But yeah a dm said it was broken.