Author Topic: VoB - Well  (Read 4070 times)

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
VoB - Well
« on: April 06, 2016, 02:04:07 PM »
When you go down the well, a description is prompted. However it no longer fits the actual dungeon since the rope can now be used to leave.

Syl

• Dark Power
Re: VoB - Well
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 02:52:02 PM »
When you go down the well, a description is prompted. However it no longer fits the actual dungeon since the rope can now be used to leave.

There is a rope leading out of it now!!?!?!... what happened the great one way ticket dungeon. made it unique!!

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 03:09:13 PM »
I added a way out because people kept complaining about it.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 03:21:37 PM »
Awwwww.... I liked it that way.. made you consider starting it or not..:( :(

Kendaric

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 03:58:00 PM »
The alternative was logging off for 15 minutes (?) to be sent to your safe location. I much prefer a rope.

julienchab

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 04:02:10 PM »
First time I got into that well to explore, realized I couldn't go back up, opened a door and got corpsed. I like the rope too

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 04:19:43 PM »
I think I prefer without the rope, it makes the place unique and different. You think twice before going down when you know there is no way back up.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 04:38:59 PM »
That was the point. besides.. that isn't a dungeon you can Solo.. you need a team of people due to the presser plates. if I went down and died down there by myself. tis my own fault,

Kendaric

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 04:39:41 PM »
I think I prefer without the rope, it makes the place unique and different. You think twice before going down when you know there is no way back up.

That's the thing... a new player doesn't know that. Sure, veterans know it and don't click on the well, but new players ended up in a death trap.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 05:28:21 PM »
This is a multiplayer, and RP game. New players and old should talk more, and new players should be encouraged to learn rom the veteran players on potential dangers. I know this wont happen, but I want the rope gone

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 06:01:07 PM »
I'm glad the rope was added. It's unfair to have one well in Barovia where if you enter you're boned. It forces death and respawn on new players who may not know about the 15 minute dungeon warp yet. I think it would be more fair to have a mechanic like that in Har'Akir or other dungeon domains where players are probably going to be exploring as a party, and someone in that party may have experience. As it stands, the VoB well is very rarely done, it's not like there's constant groups of people heading that way for it.

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 06:03:22 PM »
I'm glad the rope was added. It's unfair to have one well in Barovia where if you enter you're boned. It forces death and respawn on new players who may not know about the 15 minute dungeon warp yet. I think it would be more fair to have a mechanic like that in Har'Akir or other dungeon domains where players are probably going to be exploring as a party, and someone in that party may have experience. As it stands, the VoB well is very rarely done, it's not like there's constant groups of people heading that way for it.

Yep, Norture pretty much nailed this. The mechanic is great, just keep it away from Barovian noobland.
Not all who wander are lost.

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
  • 1# Highest Bounty Winner
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 06:21:39 PM »
This is a multiplayer, and RP game. New players and old should talk more, and new players should be encouraged to learn rom the veteran players on potential dangers. I know this wont happen, but I want the rope gone

I agree its not like its in Vallaki, its a notable part of the Village, dissapoint its being taken out because of whineing

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 08:51:19 PM »
I liked it as well it added to the sense of danger, you didn't have that safety net of "Oh if its to hard we can just leave". I haven't read the sign in a while but i believe there is a clear warning sign at the well noteing danger below. Part of the risk of solo leveling and exploring on a server meant for doing so in parties is that when you get in trouble there isn't anyone there to save you.

But thats not really the issue :3, with the change the prompted description no longer fits and could use changing.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 08:54:08 PM »
I liked it as well it added to the sense of danger, you didn't have that safety net of "Oh if its to hard we can just leave".

That's exactly how I saw the well before, I can't express it better than that.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 11:17:20 PM »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Where the heck were all of you when people were upset about getting trapped in the dungeon?

In any event, if you leave, all of the keys you've collected disappear, so if you want to complete the dungeon you do have to do it all in one trip.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 12:15:22 AM »
LOL I didn't even know people were complaining about the Well. LOL.. man.. there are also Keys in there? Man, been ages since i've been in there. Use to run it all the time. heh.

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
  • 1# Highest Bounty Winner
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 04:03:19 AM »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Where the heck were all of you when people were upset about getting trapped in the dungeon?

In any event, if you leave, all of the keys you've collected disappear, so if you want to complete the dungeon you do have to do it all in one trip.

Complaints are always louder, cant disagree with what we dont hear :D

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 04:35:01 PM »
I really can't believe this is coming up now, that rope has been there for ages  :lol:

To be honest, I like it how it is. If that dungeon didn't involve needing to know where an absurd amount of hidden things were, which are some of them very well hidden, and have the search and everything to find them I might feel differently. It's not like you're just going in to a dungeon that's hard with forward being the only option, you're going in to one that, even if you can handle the monsters, you'll be stuck in if you don't know what you're doing-and sometimes even if you do.

My first experience there we handled everything very well, but despite the fact that a few of us had high search and all that, we spent about 5 hours trying to figure out the last part of it. We never did figure it out, we just dungeon logged in frustration, and had a suspicion that the dungeon was broken.

That being said! I think it's an interesting feature, and it's not the only place on the server similar to that but I won't spoil that for anyone. I wouldn't mind seeing something of the same in more places, but I never understood why my character, climbing down that rope, would decide to jump the rest of the way down instead of-I don't know, going back up to the top and securing a new one, or just not jumping. It doesn't exactly give you a choice when you enter.

Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 04:53:40 PM »
I really can't believe this is coming up now, that rope has been there for ages  :lol:

I think this highlights why it's good that the rope is there, the people who are learning about it from this thread obviously haven't been there in a long time. This doesn't effect them at all, and makes the new player area more new player friendly.

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 07:22:30 PM »
TBH, these trio of dungeons are probably my favorite dungeon experience i've ever had.

Spoiler: show
 It's quite impossible to finish the lower vestibule without a party. Coupled with having to go through two other puzzle/maze dungeons to get the keys to even attempt the final one was pretty awesome. Legitimately challenging puzzles and very cool lore should you finish it.

"A no wisdom ranger is literally unwise."