Author Topic: Alhoon's Lair and Shadow Cavern Spawn  (Read 2692 times)

LemonIsGood

• New to the Mists
  • Cheese is the Devil's plaything...
Alhoon's Lair and Shadow Cavern Spawn
« on: February 09, 2016, 08:36:45 AM »
 We decided to go adventuring today, about 30 minutes after a voted reset, and Alhoon's Lair was completely empty, save for a skeletal dwarf, an assassin vine and a creeper vine. We checked the entire dungeon, including the last floor and the boss room. There was no loot in any of the corpses or the chests, even though the chests were locked as usual, although they had unusually low DC. We decided to check the Shadow Cave afterwards, and there were no shadow asps in front of the cave, and only a few shadow asps and shadow fiends inside. There was loot in the cave, but it was mostly very low value gems and a few gold pieces.

I don't know if it is an issue with spawns disappearing after a reset, or if it is an issue at all, but putting this here just in case it is relevant.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
Re: Alhoon's Lair and Shadow Cavern Spawn
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 09:15:35 AM »
Dungeons do take a while for their spawn to grow. I know in the past two days I've been to the alhoon and cleared it a few times (with a group), so perhaps with that and the reset it's causing the spawn to regrow slower?
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

LemonIsGood

• New to the Mists
  • Cheese is the Devil's plaything...
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 10:04:05 AM »
That may be the case for the shadow caves, but Alhoon's was almost completely empty with empty locked chests, which seems more like no spawn than a very low spawn.

booksarefun666

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 10:04:28 AM »
I don't think I ever had a good time going to a dungeon after a reset. I remember getting a rare chance to do Hazlan and the spawns were pitiful.

The loot should've been pitiful and not non-existent though. How odd.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 10:59:41 AM »
Yeah normally best to after a reset is to give it a hour or so? It varies based on how large the place is.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 04:36:13 PM »
Player initiated resets, while they aren't supposed to, have a tendency to push the spawn of dungeons below what you would ever find.

It was fixed at one point, then it wasn't, and it's difficult to get anyone to look seriously in to it because most times it's assumed that the dungeon you looked at was just cleared before the reset occurred.

So pretty much, I don't see this changing unless someone takes it upon themselves to go to a bunch of dungeons to check spawn, initiate a player reset, then go back and check them after. I know I had to do that, and a few other people too, in the past to get this looked at. Anyway, I pretty much just don't like player resets and almost always vote no because of that.
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Skullmonkey

• Outlander
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 04:51:54 PM »
Player initiated resets, while they aren't supposed to, have a tendency to push the spawn of dungeons below what you would ever find.

It was fixed at one point, then it wasn't, and it's difficult to get anyone to look seriously in to it because most times it's assumed that the dungeon you looked at was just cleared before the reset occurred.

So pretty much, I don't see this changing unless someone takes it upon themselves to go to a bunch of dungeons to check spawn, initiate a player reset, then go back and check them after. I know I had to do that, and a few other people too, in the past to get this looked at. Anyway, I pretty much just don't like player resets and almost always vote no because of that.
Yeah, and actually i've noticed that lately it is happening a bit too often. I must say, i don't experience lag or problems of any sort, yet people always seem to want to reboot the server...i suspect someone has found a way to take advantage of it in some way, but maybe it's just me...

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 04:34:36 AM »
I've done checks but everything seems to be functioning as it should (I know I said that last time too, but looked more thoroughly this time, I swear!)

There might still be something going on though, perhaps with certain locations. If you can come up with concrete times and locations, it would help a lot pinning it down.

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 10:24:40 AM »
Out of curiosity, what benefit could someone derive from pushing the spawn down?  Wouldn't the treasure value also drop, making a looting-run pathetic, and they'd lose out on xp from monster kills?  Or, could this be someone's try at a ninja-loot with little resistance?  I'm just asking, not implying anything. 
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 01:28:54 PM »
I find frequent server resets as immersion breaking, so I almost always vote against.

IMO it should actually require a majority of users *online* to request a server reset, rather than a majority of those voting. My reasoning is that not voting in favor indicates you are indifferent and therefore content with the current server performance. If you were unhappy, you would vote to reset. So if the majority are content, why is the server being reset?

It does seem to me that the server resets more often lately.

Despite the above, I would much rather resets with a warning occur than an involuntary crash. So if the frequent voluntary resets avoid crashes, then by all means keep doing them.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

DM Ariadne

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 02:00:38 PM »
Having regular resets helps prevent against the huge rollbacks that crashes can cause. Of late, the server has been up for two or three days before each reset, which I don't find to be too often, myself. If several people are experiencing high amounts of lag, then I vote for the reset. If I am finding the server, at least my end, is experiencing no lag but a vote goes through, I try to ask around to determine why the vote is happening.

I'll also stop resets if I am running something, and then get another vote started later.

I also don't think there is really a way to exploit resets, as far as I can tell.
"You think that a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a thread, a sheet of glass."

Skullmonkey

• Outlander
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 02:43:16 PM »
Of course there is. You all seem to be missing one important piece of information : Low spawn doesn't necessarily mean bad XP. Follow my example:
If i'm a level 9 char and i know other 4 people that level, we are a pretty good group. Now imagine low spawn in middle to high level dungeons (like scorpion folks in Har'Akir), result? The group is capable of taking out those monsters and make much more xp than hunting werewolves or vampires. The same principle applies for lower levels.

I believe something like this is happening, as i often see ( after restart ) groups of low level (lower than 11 i would imagine) wander the desert.

Not accusing anybody, because it may just be a coincidence.

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 04:02:17 AM »
Out of curiosity, what benefit could someone derive from pushing the spawn down?  Wouldn't the treasure value also drop, making a looting-run pathetic, and they'd lose out on xp from monster kills?  Or, could this be someone's try at a ninja-loot with little resistance?  I'm just asking, not implying anything.

I don't think has much to do with ninja-looting. The Player-initiated resets wreck havok on ones ability to ninja-loot, in my experience, with the typical drop in a dungeons spawn levels, as well as the saving of variables in the 'loot scripts' that prevent repatative ninja-looting. For instance, theres been quite a few times that I'll go to Sithicus shortly after a reset, and find the loots non-existant or negligable... even if its been a long, long while since I visited last (And monsters seem to be at full spawn, of course!).

These scripts could be having an effect on what the original poster had mentioned too. If they ran the dungeon at some point recently before the reset (and a loot-spawn variable was stored), and then the reset pushed the spawn down... this could explain why no loot showed up.. since the variable stored on the character might be higher then what the new post-reset spawn might be.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 04:09:29 AM by Hatsune »
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess