Author Topic: A suggestion for Aasimar subrace.  (Read 3242 times)

zodiacspear

• Undead Slayer
  • The Segata Sanshiro of Ravenloft
A suggestion for Aasimar subrace.
« on: February 04, 2016, 12:48:24 AM »
Pertaining to their natural spell ability.  In comparing the tiefling ability (darkness) to the aasimar ability (light), it is easy to see which of the two has a far more practical use. While Light is an apt spell for aasimar, it's usability is limited to rp situations only.  Where a tiefling's ability still has use, even with a limited duration.  Of the two, the tiefling got the better of the deal.  However, with the new spells added to the server, I found a new spell that would fit the aasimar both in a in character and roleplay perspective, but also in usability.  The spell in question is the level two bard spell "Ray of Hope". If I remember right, it gives a +1 to attack, saves, and skill points for a small duration.  The description read as the 'caster condenses all their good and fires a ray of hope at their companion' which gives the bonuses.  This sort of spell seems to just fit the aasimar race completely.  Perhaps the innate spell could warrant a change?

Thoughts?
Zodiacspear (aka Timgood)
Current active character(s): Garbhan Ross (Forfarian Warrior), Erutáron Xillen (Sithican Rebel) Vulg Graynoor (Lost Aasimar)

Olywynn

• Likes to say "Nyeh heh heh!"
  • Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
Re: A suggestion for Aasimar subrace.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 01:04:04 AM »
Why not bless instead?  Or remove fear?  Ray of hope seems like too "good" a spell.  While they are predisposed to goodness, aasimar are not bound by it.  Just as tieflings aren't bound to evil.

LemonIsGood

• New to the Mists
  • Cheese is the Devil's plaything...
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 03:18:56 AM »
The description reads as follows, taken from NWN Ravenloft wikia,"You focus all of your good will into a ray and fire it at an ally. Feelings of hope and inspiration well up within the subject. The subject gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks. At level 12 and above, the bonuses increase to +2." I don't agree with it being too "good" a spell, evil aligned characters can have good will for their Allies, and so can they inspire and give hope to others. One example of that would be the Shinpi brothers of Rokushima Taiyoo, they are evil aligned yet they inspire armies and hold the loyalty of their subjects, for the most part.

dark_majico

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 07:18:56 AM »
Why not bless instead?  Or remove fear?  Ray of hope seems like too "good" a spell.  While they are predisposed to goodness, aasimar are not bound by it.  Just as tieflings aren't bound to evil.

Actually Olywynn is right this is a "Good spell", see the following from the Book of Exalted Deeds.

Good Spells

Not many spells in the Player's Handbook have the good descriptor, but this book includes many more. Spells have the good descriptor because they do one or more of the following things:

Good spells call upon good deities or energies.
    Good spells summon or improve celestials or other good creatures.
    Good spells involve a personal sacrifice to help another.
    Good spells inspire hope, joy, or similar positive emotions, or they alleviate suffering.

What's Good?

Is casting a healing spell a good act? Often, it is: it relieves the suffering of another creature, promoting the life and well being of that creature. Healing spells do not carry the good descriptor, however, because their moral weight depends heavily on circumstances. Healing a blackguard so he can continue to fight a good party is not a good act at all. Like most spells, healing spells can be used for good or evil purposes, so they are not inherently good.

As a variant rule, consider the following spells from the Player's Handbook to have the good descriptor: good hope and shield other.

zodiacspear

• Undead Slayer
  • The Segata Sanshiro of Ravenloft
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 12:15:18 PM »
That get's into the debate of what could be considered 'good' and 'evil', which we all know is a debate that wouldn't ever stop.  The same could be said of evil spells used for good purposes. Which is what I am going to steer this conversation away from.  The purpose of my opening post is to maybe change the IG Aasimar racial spell to something that would also have a use in a combat situation as well as an RP one.  Ray of Hope has potential for both I believe.

When one considers the spell that Aasimar have traditionally, Daylight, changing it to Light could be considered an extreme nerf. I offered the change of Ray of Hope as a more balanced alternative.  Though other suggestions are always welcomed and can be debated upon.
Zodiacspear (aka Timgood)
Current active character(s): Garbhan Ross (Forfarian Warrior), Erutáron Xillen (Sithican Rebel) Vulg Graynoor (Lost Aasimar)

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 02:04:41 PM »
Actually, in D&D there is no debate when it comes to things listed in the handbook. Spells listed as 'Good' in the Book of Exalted Deeds are good. Books listed as evil in the Book of Vile Darkness are evil. There is no debating this. It is set in stone, as per D&D ruling.

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 02:06:39 PM »
lol light is their racial spell? How underwhelming.

especially since a lot of humanoids without lowlight or dark vision treat night time as if it were daylight anyway.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 02:19:58 PM »

especially since a lot of humanoids without lowlight or dark vision treat night time as if it were daylight anyway.

Yeah but most don't realize or RP the time it takes to adjust.. and even so once they are adjust if a sudden bright light came out of no where... or.. say you cast daylight over them... would daze them for a round.. or well.. would. Someone cast a flare at my slave from the underdark who hates bright lights and I RPed her being blind for a while and shielding her eyes.. But that is off topic.

Daylight has it's uses. there are monsters that cast darkness which means you can cast daylight and remove it... I think.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

DM Ariadne

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 02:25:45 PM »
I had a character who managed to escape being fed on by a vampire because she cast Light over and over again (Sorcerer spontaneous casting is handy like that).

Then again, any spell can be handy under certain circumstances!
"You think that a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a thread, a sheet of glass."

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 02:59:48 PM »
Aaaah... good ol Mordenkainen's unfaithful wife... and dysfunctional family... good for distractions.

Oh right games that are used on the server.. Yeah practically anything has a use when the need arises. reason I carry about t bags and a half of random scrolls :D and other nicnaks.. like windfan or water elemental bowl.. ( whatever it is called) and so on.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 04:35:37 PM »

Yeah but most don't realize or RP the time it takes to adjust.. and even so once they are adjust if a sudden bright light came out of no where... or.. say you cast daylight over them... would daze them for a round.. or well.. would. Someone cast a flare at my slave from the underdark who hates bright lights and I RPed her being blind for a while and shielding her eyes.. But that is off topic.

Daylight has it's uses. there are monsters that cast darkness which means you can cast daylight and remove it... I think.

Yeah, as someone who has had to be out at night in a place with 0 artificial lights in view, I can say that it shocks me how little people understand how dark the night is.