You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: In regards to the most recent Company of The Fox campaign  (Read 2641 times)

tomwell1

• New to the Mists
  • Hero of Mordent
In regards to the most recent Company of The Fox campaign
« on: February 03, 2016, 01:49:16 AM »
(Disregard this first paragraph if you don't care about background of why this post is late to the party)

So, before I begin, the reason this wasn't posted sooner was because I was on extended absence and wasn't able to really get around to being on the server for a couple of months ( I had a time where I was able to join for a moment between those months ) And now i have returned to the server, and I am pretty happy about it. It's great to be back.

Anyways, coming back and talking to some Company folks, as a fellow in the company myself, I hear the campaign went pretty well. Being able to come on the forums every now and then, I know that it was a castle siege, and I ask how many died because of really, my character's wondering of the number the Company has for acceptable losses. Then, I hear 14 casualties, and I wonder how many people were in the tower. Then I am told some hundreds of people were against them, and this leads me to the question. Regardless of tactics and firepower, it seems impossible to have only 14 friendly dead when the Company was the attacking force in this siege, and how this was justified.

TLDR? I feel as if the casualties of the siege was way too low concidering the Company of the Fox was the attacking force (14 dead vs unknown hundreds (assuming until clarified like 200-300))
Rayne Mirna - Silver Warden Tempuran

You know, look, you're a ghost, you're a vampire, you're french, figure it out, pick one.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
Re: In regards to the most recent Company of The Fox campaign
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 02:07:34 AM »
Players had a clever plan and executed it well. Death toll was higher than fourteen but not by a great deal. Just take that astonishment IC.

Stick around to the end of the plot. There will be chances to lose a lot of lives, that I promise!  :bat_angel:
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 02:35:17 AM »
There's also the mental and emotional toll upon those who see such war and slaughter.

Feel free to sacrifice your character in the next encounter if you want higher casualty numbers.  :)

MrSmiley

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 08:08:08 AM »
Keep talking to a few members on their own and you'll probably hear differing stories, or some closer to the truth!

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 08:14:27 AM »
Man that seemed more a slaughter then a battle.... lol Poor Tsuabki will feel it for weeks.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 12:09:08 PM »
Well, we had nearly 3 months to work this one out (Sorry we took so long Arawn) so we had plans (see below), provisions, back up plans and quite a few PC soldiers we spent some time training. The general plan was to use the fact that their objective was to defend the castle as opposed to kill all of us. Thus we assumed they were going to have a fixed distance they could attack us from and so long as we could attack them from a range they couldn't hit we'd take little to no casualties. Archers on a wall don't fair too well vs. muskets, cannons and grenades. There were a few things we didn't expect but I'll let you find out IG.

Some screenshots I stitched together.
Spoiler: show

The awesome battle map Dumas made from it.

"A no wisdom ranger is literally unwise."

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 02:12:52 PM »
Aaaah... the Recon nightmare mission.... Good times.... goooood times... I hope I get to see more in future campaigns.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 02:14:49 PM »
Well, we had nearly 3 months to work this one out (Sorry we took so long Arawn) so we had plans (see below), provisions, back up plans and quite a few PC soldiers we spent some time training. The general plan was to use the fact that their objective was to defend the castle as opposed to kill all of us. Thus we assumed they were going to have a fixed distance they could attack us from and so long as we could attack them from a range they couldn't hit we'd take little to no casualties. Archers on a wall don't fair too well vs. muskets, cannons and grenades. There were a few things we didn't expect but I'll let you find out IG.

Some screenshots I stitched together.

The awesome battle map Dumas made from it.

OOh, didn't know that Dumas made a map like that. I knew about the recon, but that map is cool :D But yea, there was a lot of preparations and planning. It also likely helped that we neutralized their artillery the day we arrived there.

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 02:48:51 PM »
Luckily, the assault went mostly according to plan. Still, there was some vicious fighting. But hey, we are the Fox Company, the finest equipped and trained free company in the core! Those long hours of training paid off.

Sooner than later, we will post an IC announcement about an upcoming Ceremony to honor the fallen soldiers, and those that survived the assault, and that will likely be a good opportunity to swap tales of the heroics and otherwise.

Chaoshawk

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 02:58:54 PM »
True Dementlieuse heroes.  :)
"In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 03:19:32 PM »
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 08:30:43 PM »
Luckily, the assault went mostly according to plan. Still, there was some vicious fighting. But hey, we are the Fox Company, the finest equipped and trained free company in the core! Those long hours of training paid off.

Sooner than later, we will post an IC announcement about an upcoming Ceremony to honor the fallen soldiers, and those that survived the assault, and that will likely be a good opportunity to swap tales of the heroics and otherwise.

When will this be? :)

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 08:55:08 PM »
Before summer...likely.

"A no wisdom ranger is literally unwise."

tomwell1

• New to the Mists
  • Hero of Mordent
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 10:51:14 PM »

What I get from this is that the perfection of a castle siege would be no deaths, which just practical and really just isn't a thing for an invading party in a castle siege. A siege /will/ take resources and lives. That's why it's so risky to do so. And, if these folks are more than just peasants who got lucky themselves, they would be more than capable to take at least the high side of less than 100, and not 14.

You know, look, you're a ghost, you're a vampire, you're french, figure it out, pick one.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 11:24:23 PM »
But no one said a perfect siege would mean 0 casualties, so no. I don't even know how you'd go about qualifying a perfect siege anyway, and I don't think that really matter in this context so...

Now, it's important to keep in mind that the vanguard was composed entirely of adventurers, some of them highly seasoned. They had a solid plan, were highly equipped and due to circumstances within the assaulted keep were able to get inside with -relatively- little loss. This is still D&D, where adventurers are much more powerful than many npc's. My barbarian took a direct hit, along with another character, by a cannon, but because he's a barbarian and has all those barbarian hp's, didn't even corpse. Does that mean it was easy? No. In fact, there were many points where it could have meant many more deaths.

I don't know what all you've learned about it ic yet, so I won't go too much in to detail, but there were cannons on the Foxes side which are a game changer when it comes to assaulting a keep, and as I said before-there were reasons the defenders weren't nearly so able to defend themselves.

It's hard to try and justify the outcome of an event to someone that wasn't there though, I think it'd help if you trusted the people running it and the people involved, and as someone else pointed out, keep your disbelief ic. Trust me when I say this-I've seen and been involved in much, much, much more unbelievable things here than that. Some of them I still can't wrap my head around.

Also, it's been said, there were more than 14 deaths.

Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

tomwell1

• New to the Mists
  • Hero of Mordent
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 11:28:04 PM »
keep your disbelief ic.
Yea, I just wanted to make sure this was solid stuff that was set in stone. Thanks all for helping clarify! (and telling me circumstances were able to make it possible)