You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: PC Noble Estates  (Read 2583 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
PC Noble Estates
« on: January 28, 2016, 08:30:04 PM »
Hello,

After showing Kian the sable bay today, and walking through the Noble Estate area. Anyways while several of the estates have named guards, a number of others do not. So What I am wondering is if some of them could be used by the PC nobles in Dementlieu? The area is quite well made and I think this could be a fun place to rp in more. But I am not sure if there are any plans or what the devs and DMs think of this idea?

~herkles~

DM Vinculum

• Dark Power
Re: PC Noble Estates
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 08:54:30 PM »
I think it would be best suited for PCs that are converted to NPCs. Though not technically player housing it kinda rubs me the wrong way.
Red Vardo Traders Faction DM
Fraternity of Shadows Faction DM

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 09:00:45 PM »
I think it would be best suited for PCs that are converted to NPCs. Though not technically player housing it kinda rubs me the wrong way.

I was thinking of  something like an alternative to something like the Penthouse, :)

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 09:38:13 PM »
Hmm, while I agree with the fact that it is a nice place to RP, I'm not certain if giving control of those guard to PC is a good idea. I think if the need to have NPC guard for noble PC for a special occasion, yes a DM could give 1 or 2 NPC. Other than that, I think prefer to keep the possibilty to have NPC follower as low as possible.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 09:49:01 PM »
I'd really, really like this.

But I don't feel like it's meant to be here, and it's probably better that way.

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 10:00:02 PM »
Dusk's post sums up my thoughts on the matter. Adventuring and roleplaying is what we're here for. Can't experience that struggle cooped up inside of a lockable estate. What purpose does it serve that a DM area can't handle for the sake of portraying the ownership of land for a specific event?
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 10:02:11 PM »
Hello,

After showing Kian the sable bay today, and walking through the Noble Estate area. Anyways while several of the estates have named guards, a number of others do not. So What I am wondering is if some of them could be used by the PC nobles in Dementlieu? The area is quite well made and I think this could be a fun place to rp in more. But I am not sure if there are any plans or what the devs and DMs think of this idea?

~herkles~

If you live there, chances are your mind isn't completely yours anymore. ;)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 10:12:28 PM »
Dusk's post sums up my thoughts on the matter. Adventuring and roleplaying is what we're here for. Can't experience that struggle cooped up inside of a lockable estate. What purpose does it serve that a DM area can't handle for the sake of portraying the ownership of land for a specific event?

So we should get rid of the Penthouse and perhaps the Governor's hotel?  ;)

If you live there, chances are your mind isn't completely yours anymore. ;)

I thought that only applies to obidents/servants of the brain?

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 10:21:35 PM »
No, herkles, that's already in the game and quite pointless to remove, and is not what I am suggesting in the slightest. My argument is, why add something that is just basically a bigger Governor's Hotel?
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

Dusk

• Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 01:56:50 AM »
Rooms in the Governor's Hotel are rented and available to all players.

Noble Estates would, essentially, be free and owned exclusively by PCs among the Dementlieuse nobility. Given it will be the only type of player housing available, poor Arawn would soon have nothing but applications for new Dementlieuse noble PCs. This would also mean constant work for the devs. It is, by and far, Player Housing, and an exclusive one at that, which is why the idea is simply not feasible and in no way, or form, related to rooms at the Governor's Hotel.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 03:30:15 PM »
Rooms in the Governor's Hotel are rented and available to all players.

Noble Estates would, essentially, be free and owned exclusively by PCs among the Dementlieuse nobility. Given it will be the only type of player housing available, poor Arawn would soon have nothing but applications for new Dementlieuse noble PCs. This would also mean constant work for the devs. It is, by and far, Player Housing, and an exclusive one at that, which is why the idea is simply not feasible and in no way, or form, related to rooms at the Governor's Hotel.

The idea was that it would function basically like the Penthouse, and could be used a place for intrigue and schemes. But if it isn't fesable and impractale then shouldn't we save space on the server by removing those zones from the server?

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 03:45:23 PM »
The idea was that it would function basically like the Penthouse, and could be used a place for intrigue and schemes. But if it isn't fesable and impractale then shouldn't we save space on the server by removing those zones from the server?

We don't need to save space; we're limited by processor overhead far more than by number of zones. But even were that not true, those zones exist for DM-organized or supervised events. That's what they're for, that and just being able to stroll through a new part of a domain.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 03:50:53 PM »
Well you probably don't want to live there. Like EO said, your mind isn't your own anymore. And usually when we do that to players, your character becomes an NPC. So if you want to live in an estate but essentially be perma'd because you no longer own your character, cool! Aim for the stars and burn up in a blaze of glory!

Dusk

• Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 04:46:26 PM »
Aim for the stars and burn up in a blaze of glory!

:rock: