Author Topic: Windows 8.1  (Read 2554 times)

--GlamRock--

• Undead Master
Windows 8.1
« on: January 16, 2016, 01:48:13 AM »
So, I am constantly suffering from serious crashes from my old computer nicknamed Ralph, which has served me quite well for the past 5 years. I believe it is suffering from serious hardware failure, and probably I should replace the GPU, however, as I said, it's pretty old and I was considering since long to get a new one. It has the following specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz, NVIDIA GTX 460 (1 Gb), and runs on Windows 7 Home (64 bit).

In a week time I should receive the new one, whose specs are:

Intel Core I7 4790 @3.60 GHz, Nvidia GTX 745 (2 Gb), and runs on Windows 8.1

Not really a big change as you can see, just the GPU is a little better (maybe the processor too). Nevertheless I wonder if any of you knows, in advance, if NWN works fine with these specs (I'm particularly afraid of Win 8) or if there can be some workaround I will need to apply to play it properly.

For the time being, I will try to log on and play until it crashes and need to spend some hours to restart it.
https://www.facebook.com/CiaranII

(Being drunk partially legitimates you as a philosopher - someone you wouldn't expect!)

DM Brimstone

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
Re: Windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 01:52:58 AM »
So, I am constantly suffering from serious crashes from my old computer nicknamed Ralph, which has served me quite well for the past 5 years. I believe it is suffering from serious hardware failure, and probably I should replace the GPU, however, as I said, it's pretty old and I was considering since long to get a new one. It has the following specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz, NVIDIA GTX 460 (1 Gb), and runs on Windows 7 Home (64 bit).

In a week time I should receive the new one, whose specs are:

Intel Core I7 4790 @3.60 GHz, Nvidia GTX 745 (2 Gb), and runs on Windows 8.1

Not really a big change as you can see, just the GPU is a little better (maybe the processor too). Nevertheless I wonder if any of you knows, in advance, if NWN works fine with these specs (I'm particularly afraid of Win 8) or if there can be some workaround I will need to apply to play it properly.

For the time being, I will try to log on and play until it crashes and need to spend some hours to restart it.

You should have no problems with the hardware you selected.  That should be more than enough for NWN.

As for the Windows 8.1 OS, I can't comment.  I haven't tried to run NWN on Windows 8.1.  However, I recently updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and didn't have any difficulty with the updated OS and PotM/NWN.  If you have any struggles, you may consider the free upgrade to win10 that they are offering (if it still is out there). 

Best of luck man!

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 02:03:18 AM »
Should handle 8.1 fine.
: )

--GlamRock--

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 02:08:41 AM »
Oh yes, the update to win10 is included in the package I bought.

(Being drunk partially legitimates you as a philosopher - someone you wouldn't expect!)

DM Brimstone

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 03:08:08 AM »
Oh yes, the update to win10 is included in the package I bought.

Woot! Then you are golden man! Enjoy!

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 10:53:56 AM »
I'v been running on win 8.1 for quite a while now and NWN work just fine  :)

The rest seems good as well, I don't you'll have any problem running NWN on your new computer 
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

--GlamRock--

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 12:22:42 PM »
Okay, since with my old computer, where I am at now, it seems NWN causes very serious hardware failures (the last one happened at 8 am more or less last morning and now it's 18.20, only now I've fixed the chance to, at least, use the PC at all), I think I have to wave you all till the new computer is on and I've installed what I need to play.

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 12:18:18 AM »
Could you describe what kind of error you get when NWN crashes? If there's a message, what does it say? If not, what happens to your computer, and why weren't you able to use it for so long?

I've made some pretty old computer last a little while longer while I was an on-site computer tech. Might be able to help you keep yours kicking until the new one arrives.

--GlamRock--

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 12:03:46 PM »
Yeah just got back, I will try to explain once I refurnish this computer.

--GlamRock--

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 02:12:48 AM »
Okay this new computer is working fine, so I've the fresh mind to recollect and describe what happened exactly to the old one.

It all started with a graphic card failure while playing here and being exactly in the Mists while fighting Great Mist Horrors. It can be a pointless piece of information, but I also believe the foggish effects normally stress video cards. The error message was the one with the yellow triangle and said something like it had stopped working but it had been restored. In fact, it wasn't restored at all, since as soon as I tried to log on again POTM it failed completely and I had to brutally turn the pc off.

In the following days this started happening more often, especially with POTM/NWN, as I tried to update anything which was not yet updated (actually I keep drivers quite updated, though) and opened the machine to clean some dust off. The fan of the graphic card actually had started to be more noisy than it used to be, though at some point the noise stopped (while the fan kept going). All in all, also the system seemed to have slowed down.

After some four days of this situation, the computer stuck and only entering into BIOS was possible.

I do believe simply the graphic card has broken, but maybe someone has a different diagnosis. Let me know, so that when I take it to techs I've some idea of what they might be doing.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 02:29:24 AM »
Well, if your graphics card had failed completely, you wouldn't have been able to see anything to get into the BIOS (not saying it's not on it's way out though). If you can still get into the BIOS, see if it's at least detecting your hard drive. If it's not, then your HD failed. If it does, then it's possible your windows installation has been damaged and so you can't boot into windows (in which case a simple reformat could fix it). Those are the most likely things in my opinion.  If it was RAM or processor failure, you wouldn't be able to boot into the BIOS either.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 02:30:57 AM by Serillian »

--GlamRock--

• Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 02:33:54 AM »
If HD failed will I be still able to get my data? I managed to go into it through DOS and it seemed the files were still there.

And yes, someone else told me, too, that if I could -see- the video card was not the main issue.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 02:44:30 AM »
If HD failed will I be still able to get my data? I managed to go into it through DOS and it seemed the files were still there.

And yes, someone else told me, too, that if I could -see- the video card was not the main issue.

It all depends on whether it's completely burned out or not. If you can see the files, than it's more likely your windows installation is damaged and that also means you can recover your files. All you need to do is plug that hard drive into your new computer and you can copy off all the files you wanted to keep from it before you stick it back into your old PC to do a reformat. That being said, there may be other ways to fix it but I always found it easier to just back up my stuff and reinstall everything when I had problems like this.