You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: No Music  (Read 2412 times)

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
No Music
« on: January 02, 2016, 04:42:17 PM »
So, I got a new computer, installed nwn, got all the haks and put them in place. I even got the additional music pack and dropped them in the music folder. Thing is, when I play I get absolutely no music at all. None of the vanilla music plays, even on the start up videos and main menu, nothing plays in any areas on any mod. I do have sound, all the other sounds work fine. Any ideas?
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: No Music
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 04:44:15 PM »
What OS are you running? Where did you install NWN?

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 04:47:34 PM »
running windows 10 64 bit (dunno if that last part matters), it's installed to the default location good old games uses I'll have to start it up and look at it after work sometime if you need the exact directory though

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 05:07:43 PM »
had more time before work than I thought!

it's in Windows (C:) > GoG Games > Neverwinter Night Diamond Edition

The music folder does not have any subfolders and is directly within the Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition folder itself. The files are all .bmu except for autorun and autorun2 which are WAV files. The Music folder is 849 MB and has 307 files.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 05:12:11 PM »
Okay, as long as it's not in C:/Program Files (x86)

I'm not all that familiar with the GOG version, and I don't know much about Win 10. My suggestion, if the GOG install did not already do this, would be to run the game as an administrator and in Windows XP compatibility mode.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 05:15:05 PM »
had more time before work than I thought!

it's in Windows (C:) > GoG Games > Neverwinter Night Diamond Edition

The music folder does not have any subfolders and is directly within the Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition folder itself. The files are all .bmu except for autorun and autorun2 which are WAV files. The Music folder is 849 MB and has 307 files.

Is the music folder located in the same location as nwn.exe and all the other folders (localvault among them)?

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 05:15:24 PM »
Okay, as long as it's not in C:/Program Files (x86)

I'm not all that familiar with the GOG version, and I don't know much about Win 10. My suggestion, if the GOG install did not already do this, would be to run the game as an administrator and in Windows XP compatibility mode.

i'm running the same setup as the OP GOG version windows 10 etc oddly i had no issues beyond having to set nwn.exe to run as admin in xp mod so try that

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 05:47:17 PM »
I'll give that a go after I get home, I know how to run as administrator but not sure how to run in xp mode can someone help me with that?

EO yeah the folder is in the same one at the .exe and all that other stuff, no subfolder or anything like that

raeda in fossa

• Undead Slayer
  • The Lady of Shallott Looking at Lancelot (1894)
    • I have a Ko-Fi! :)
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 09:19:17 PM »
I had this problem for a really long time, too, but upgrading to Windows 10 actually fixed it for me. Do you have NVIDIA? You might have to mess around with the audio settings a bit in order to get the sound working. Not very intuitive, but it's apparently worked before. (I honestly think this was the actual problem, but for some reason the audio options were completely absent from my settings.)
"Ita regem obtruncat."
Livy. Ab Urbe Condita. Book 1, Chapter 5. 27 BC.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 01:38:14 AM »
So, I got a new computer, installed nwn, got all the haks and put them in place. I even got the additional music pack and dropped them in the music folder. Thing is, when I play I get absolutely no music at all. None of the vanilla music plays, even on the start up videos and main menu, nothing plays in any areas on any mod. I do have sound, all the other sounds work fine. Any ideas?

Apologies for asking what may be a stupid question that you have already checked (and I don't mean to sound insulting or be disrespectful at all) but the music has its own separate volume control in the options menu -- have you checked to see it is turned up high enough?  I actually turn my music volume all the way down, because I find it a bit distracting in gameplay.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 04:12:57 AM »
No offense taken lol. My sister is in IT and anytime someone comes to her with a problem the first thing she asks is if it's on/plugged in  :lol: it's surprising how many times that solves things. But yeah, I triple checked that-both ig and in the ini file.

I do have an nvidia, I'll try messing around with that-thanks. Though would that stop just the music from playing? I still get all the other sounds, and all my other games are fine

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 02:57:51 PM »
well, I fixed it. Sorta. Seems that for some reason the speakers on the display I'm using just don't want to play the music, though they're fine with everything else. I switched sound over to my other ones and now things work perfectly.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 02:58:52 PM »
well, I fixed it. Sorta. Seems that for some reason the speakers on the display I'm using just don't want to play the music, though they're fine with everything else. I switched sound over to my other ones and now things work perfectly.

That is SOOOOO weird!  :lol: god you gotta love technology :P