You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Steelsmithing Nerfed?  (Read 5023 times)

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
Re: Steelsmithing Nerfed?
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 08:21:00 PM »
Yes, that math is correct, and it makes perfect sense according to the stacking rules.

There are five types of armor class bonuses in Neverwinter Nights, and every AC bonus from an item property or effect falls into one of these types: armor bonus, shield bonus, dodge bonus, natural armor bonus, and deflection bonus.  Only dodge bonuses stack. For all other types of bonus, only the single highest modifier is applied.

Thus, for a suit of armor with various physical bonuses on them, they do not stack and are not cumulative -- you pick just the highest bonus that is applicable.  For a suit that has a +1 bludgeoning, +1 slashing, and a +2 piercing, the bonus will be +2 against piercing and +1 for everything else.  Similarly, for a suit that starts with an overall +1 bonus (like steel), and add a +2 piercing bonus, you will receive a +2 against all piercing weapons and only a +1 against everything else (the extra piercing bonus does not stack with the original bonus -- only the highest is used). 

If you happen to find a suit of armor that lists something goofy like +1 slashing, +1 bludgeoning, and +1 piercing, then this suit of armor is simply +1 against all normal physical weapon damage (because all physical damage falls into one of those three categories).  It is a very odd way of listing armor bonuses, but it works out the same as an ordinary +1 suit of armor.

Incidentally, the same oddity appears in some of the magical weapons you find on the server.  I have seen, for example, a longsword (a slashing weapon) that lists "+1 attack bonus, extra damage: 1 slashing".  This is the exact same thing as saying "+1 enhancement bonus", because the damage bonus that the +1 enhancement provides is the same base damage type of the weapon (in this case, slashing).

edit:  corrected misspelling

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 08:42:40 PM »
I just checked a suit of Thick Chitin Full Plate with regular leather lining that I crafted about a week ago on Zoe. +1 AC vs slashing and bludgeon. Not a universal +1 AC like steel gives.

Unless it somehow changed in that short period of time, it's just as modderpunk says.

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 08:47:38 PM »
And the others before me. I was only trying to clarify a bit more. I did not know it was like this before reading their posts

Building out off the mists