You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Native druids  (Read 5723 times)

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
Native druids
« on: December 29, 2015, 05:21:52 PM »
Not necessarily native to barovia but in general. Are there any such things? Since Druidism is sort of passed down master to apprentice rather then being innate (Paladins, Sorcerors), and Ravenloft by its very nature is entirely unnatural, is there such a thing as native druids?

Feronius

• Dark Power
Re: Native druids
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 05:40:05 PM »
Yes. I assume you are referring to natives as in, human druids? Or native to the Core regardless of race?
Forlorn is probably best known to have native human druids, but they do also exist in domains like Invidia.

I thought Druidism actually was innate? Or at least partially innate, given their methods of casting magic.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 05:42:31 PM »
Lots. Barovia has druidic circles, Halans (not quite druids I guess) and I'm sure there are other things I'm not aware of. There are a lot of other druid-friendly domains, as well. Forlorn, Verbrek, Valachan, and Mordent are all some, off the top of my head.
: )

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 05:53:26 PM »
Forfar and the forfarians are druidic worshipers, and have their own views on things(they worship celtic deities for example)

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 05:56:32 PM »
Barovian druids are very rare as ethnic Barovians (by far the largest ethnicity in Barovia) view druids the same way they view wizards and sorcerers.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 06:03:54 PM »
It does not include every domain, but you should check the Native PC info thread.
Under the class bit it will often explain which classes exist there and which classes are not found at all.
http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=2020.0

I checked the source books, I can't find definite information on whether druidism is (in part) innate or purely passed on through teachings.
They do refer to it as a religion and a faith, although a faith that does not have a deity. Instead they draw their power from nature itself.

Halans and druids do have some overlap, but they are different things. I am pretty sure Halans are meant to use the sorcerer or cleric class.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 06:32:48 PM by Feronius »

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 06:46:34 PM »
Barovian druids are very rare as ethnic Barovians (by far the largest ethnicity in Barovia) view druids the same way they view wizards and sorcerers.

Would Barovian druids be akin to tradiational herbalist in European cultures as well as somewhat shamanistic?

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 07:00:06 PM »

Would Barovian druids be akin to tradiational herbalist in European cultures as well as somewhat shamanistic?
No. Any Barovian druids would be from a different ethnic group than the ethnic Barovians, such as the Forfarians.

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 07:26:43 PM »
So I went and looked up the Thaani that are listed as living in southern barovia and holy moly I can't find anything on them other then "probably escaped slaves from the illithid god-brain".

From what I can gather on the interwebs, their names seem to be based on Bosnian names.

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 07:27:21 PM »

The difference is that is superstition are not real magic, where as druids use real magic. In Gazeteer 1 it describes how Barovians distrust druids like they distrust magic users, believing their nature powers come from demons.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 07:54:59 PM by DM Ophis »

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 07:51:05 PM »
So I went and looked up the Thaani that are listed as living in southern barovia and holy moly I can't find anything on them other then "probably escaped slaves from the illithid god-brain".

From what I can gather on the interwebs, their names seem to be based on Bosnian names.

There really isn't that much information on them. If you want to play a native human druid living in Barovia, your best bet is to look towards its neighbouring countries (Forlorn or Invidia) or to make a character that is part of the ethnic group of Forfarians in Barovia. Alternatively your character could be of mixed heritage or a half-elf raised by its elven parent.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 07:57:02 PM by Feronius »

Soul Suspect

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 07:57:26 PM »

The difference is that is superstition are not real magic, where as druids use real magic. In Gazeteer 1 it describes how Barovians distrust druids like they distrust magic users, believing their nature powers come from demons.

Just reminded me of this

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 08:17:21 PM »
I feel like this is just perpetuating the idea that light skin people are devils, since it seems anyone darker skinned in the Core is distrustful/fearful of magic  :lol:

Are there any resources on half-elf barovians? I seem to recall seeing something about it but "half-elf" is vague for the search tool.

I'm starting to have inklings of a character though.

Garda can include half-elf Barovians right?

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 09:14:35 PM »
That's incredibly inaccurate. Most of the core is distrustful/fearful of magic. Even Dementlieu doesn't really like magic as it normally exists in a D&D setting, the general public views magic as a performance art. Sorcerers are distrusted in Dementlieu because it doesn't fit in with their world view. Kartakass is populated by pale skinned, blond haired, blue eyed people who believe magic is a dangerous primal force and using it beckons wolves to one's doorstep. The list goes on and on, I don't really have the time to delve through each gazeteer and describe how each nation varies in their views of magic.

Furthermore, Barovians are xenophobic to everything, it's not a "light skin people are devils" thing in the least. Barovians are wary of anything from outside their township, and in much more broad ways than skin colour.

A half-elven Barovian would be very unlikely. If you want to be a half-elf, Kartakass borders Sithicus, half-elves are mentioned in the native hero section for Karatakass in Gazeteer 1. A half-elf with a Sithican elven parent would have silvery hair.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 09:33:42 PM »
There are a few domains where magic is accepted, or at least tolerated--in Hazlan, for example, they're a privileged caste--but in most of the Core, it's as Ophis described.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 10:05:16 PM »
That was a joke because Barovians are dusky skinned slavic types and Dementieuleians (SIC) are pale skinned frenchmen, and in the context of the server they represent a vast majority of native PC's and two vastly opposing ideas regarding magic. Also Faforians are also a bunch of scot-irish so you can put them in the "pale, use magic" category.

It's just oh my god, Barovians, make a rogue/fighter and call it a day, poor sods. The most narrowly defined group of people in the core and they also happen to be the local so if I want to do anything with them i get to roll..a rogue/fighter. Or a fighter/rogue, possibly. Or maybe if I'm feeling crazy, fighter. Less crazy, Rogue, because precious skill points.

It list "Clerics" but I'm fairly sure I've read that Barovians have very little interest in organized religion, and "Sorcerers" to.

And I -have- actually gone through the gazeteers and looked, and in truth the opposite is probably true. Almost all the fairer skinned nations have hangups re: magic, with a few exceptions.

And shoot, my idea for a desert druid isn't supported either because the desert realms lack those classes. Shooooot.

Rangers seem abnormally common throughout the Core and the other realms though which is a little weird.

Monks are basically non existent in Ravenloft, with barbarians seeming to be a close second, followed by druids.

I'd kind of wanted to make someone that isn't a fighter/rogue or rogue or fighter since that tends to be my default. But I also wanted to make a garda since they seem to be an important faction with approximatly 1 player. I'd even started coming up with this revenge plot against some barovian hog who did bad things to the chars mom so using the guard to find the butthole was the motivation for joining and we'll see where we go from there.

But I like a little variety in my characters, both personality wise and mechanically. So while I may have personality changes playing the same mechanics over and over again bleh.

And you're basically either an ethnic barovian or you're an outsider. Even you're an  halfling barovian or a faforian or a Thaani (whatever the hell they are, I'm going to say they are in fact mushroom men).

Olywynn

• Likes to say "Nyeh heh heh!"
  • Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 10:16:19 PM »
Countries that welcome druids are Forlorn, Valachan, Verbrek.

They are tolerated  but poorly understood in Kartakass, and Darkon.

Elsewhere, they are poorly understood, feared, or hated.  Barovians would likely be fine with a druid that didn't perform noticable magics, like wizards/sorcerers. There is no real medical care in Barovia, so many from the above professions work as herbalists, alchemists, and diviners.  All things Barovians make semi-common use for.  They may still fear them, but even a farmer understands that some know crops better than others, or how to mend wounds.

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 10:24:26 PM »
You could make an outlander that would fit the sort of class/background you want, unfortunately I don't know deserts in other settings enough to know what would suit a druid.

If you want to be a garda, your best bet is human fighter or rogue, especially if you're new to the setting.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 11:27:07 PM »
Honestly, I feel like we drill the "no magic" thing in way too hard here. IIRC most of the domains that are described in the gazetteers will describe wizards/sorcerers/druids as being rare and treated with suspicion but being tolerated for the boons that they can bring to a community so long as they don't do anything 'evil'. Eg, some old lady that lives outside of the village by herself, is probably a crazy wizard but may also be able to brew the potion that will cure little Timotea's sickness so let's hold off on lynching her just yet.
: )

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 11:45:42 PM »
They are tolerated, but poorly understood in Kartakass, and Darkon.

And Invidia. That realm treats druids similar to how Barovia looks upon clerics. Magic users are met with distrust, but the people do draw a distinction between "miracles" (divine or healing magic) and "ensorcelments" (arcane or dangerous magic). Druids walk a fine line, but they are tolerated there.
There's also a few more domains that have elven societies that accept druids, but I assume we're still talking about human characters.

BahamutZ3RO's description is pretty much spot on. The Marusca family is a good example of subtle and tolerated use of magic in Barovia.

If I remember right there is also a Vistani tribe whose suggested classes are mainly druid or ranger. Could a half-Vistani druid be an option?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 11:58:13 PM by Feronius »

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 01:31:09 AM »
You'd be surprised how many casters get along fine in Barovia. You just never know they're casters because they're not sitting in the outskirts lit up like a christmas tree. I don't think we're drilling anything too hard, it's all a matter of action vs reaction.

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 07:11:20 AM »

And shoot, my idea for a desert druid isn't supported either because the desert realms lack those classes. Shooooot.

If i am not mistaken Kalidnay is a desert domain that has druids. It is from a specific setting however (dark sun) so i don't know if that apeals to you

Building out off the mists

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2015, 04:16:04 PM »

If i am not mistaken Kalidnay is a desert domain that has druids. It is from a specific setting however (dark sun) so i don't know if that apeals to you
True, although that's basically the same as the setting that Kalidnay originated from; wizards are usually defilers in Dark Sun, which means arcane magic destroys the already fragile environment. Druids are admired for being able to heal nature to a degree.