Author Topic: POTM on multiple computers  (Read 2564 times)

Snipehunt

• New to the Mists
POTM on multiple computers
« on: December 28, 2015, 10:50:52 AM »
Once upon a time, little Snipehunt had a laptop, and she used it to play POTM...

...now a year has passed and instead of just the old laptop, she now has a desktop! ...and is missing a character.
---

Okay. So I know playing via USB drive is possible but I have a greater issue now. My old character data is on my laptop and my new character is on my new desktop. I'd like to play both at will but I don't know how to combine the two in just the right way. Any help would be great.
Kashia Rydralle
Eliza Vhiski
Isendur Gallyan

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
Re: POTM on multiple computers
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 11:15:52 AM »
Are they on different accounts? The characters are saved to the server so the account should have access to any characters saved to the account via the server.

Snipehunt

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 11:41:01 AM »
Are they on different accounts? The characters are saved to the server so the account should have access to any characters saved to the account via the server.

Maybe something screwed up on my account, but I can't find her on my desktop. My old character still exists on my laptop, and I don't have it with me to see if I would be able to access my new character. I did try to copy over the old's .bic file to my new computer, and she appears in single player mode as a pregen character, but not when I access the character list for Ravenloft.

If I have to remake her, so be it... but I'd rather keep her data as I had it before, you know?
Kashia Rydralle
Eliza Vhiski
Isendur Gallyan

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 11:43:03 AM »
As Pagliacci said, characters are saved server-side. Do you mean in your local vault? If you dragged a character from your local vault to your server vault, you wouldn't see it anywhere, really.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Snipehunt

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 11:46:53 AM »
As Pagliacci said, characters are saved server-side. Do you mean in your local vault? If you dragged a character from your local vault to your server vault, you wouldn't see it anywhere, really.

So I must have accidentally made a separate account when I downloaded NWN onto my new PC. As far as I could tell before, this didn't seem to be the case (they both use the same account name and CD key), but it's possible I used a different password. I'll look again and see if that's the case. If it is, is there any way to merge the two, or am I just stuck keeping track of which password goes to whom?
Kashia Rydralle
Eliza Vhiski
Isendur Gallyan

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 11:57:29 AM »
Even the password shouldn't matter. What does matter is capitilization, believe it or not, so pagliacci and Pagliacci are considered different accounts by nwn.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 11:59:05 AM »
Even the password shouldn't matter. What does matter is capitilization, believe it or not, so pagliacci and Pagliacci are considered different accounts by nwn.

There are a thousand different permutations of Pagliacci. Beware, for he is many, and hungers ever. Also, the number of times that I've misspelled my own login and been extremely confused is far higher than I'd like to admit.

Snipehunt

• New to the Mists
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 12:03:35 PM »

So that worked. Now I'm kind of embarrassed. :oops:

I'm guessing since the issue is with the account, that there's no way to merge the two, since that would have been Bioware's job...back when Bioware still cared about this game.

Would it be within the rules to remake my new character and transfer them to my old account? She's only a day old, so there's not much there that I'd miss.
Kashia Rydralle
Eliza Vhiski
Isendur Gallyan

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 12:14:47 PM »
You could make a new character that is pretty much the exact same, as long as the name is not identical.
Or you need to ask a DM to rename your previous character first, else your character will end up blocked.

Snipehunt

• New to the Mists
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 12:23:15 PM »
I liked the name I had, so I've sent a PM to DM Arawn. Hopefully this can all be fixed soon. ^^

Well that looks like that answers that. I'm just glad to have an answer so soon!
Kashia Rydralle
Eliza Vhiski
Isendur Gallyan

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 12:27:26 PM »
You could make a new character that is pretty much the exact same, as long as the name is not identical.
Or you need to ask a DM to rename your previous character first, else your character will end up blocked.

Remaking a character in this way generally requires an application.

ManticoreRO

• Dark Lord
  • Real Barovian
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 12:42:17 PM »
Did you copy your character from the Local Vault folder (on the laptop), to the Local Vault folder on the desktop?
Elena Vasilovici - "Better die for something than live for naught"

Snipehunt

• New to the Mists
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 12:47:57 PM »
Did you copy your character from the Local Vault folder (on the laptop), to the Local Vault folder on the desktop?

I did, but she only showed up in single player modes as a pregenderated character. It turns out the real issue was the fact that account names are case sensitive and I am derp incarnate. Checking the account with capitalized letters worked just fine.
Kashia Rydralle
Eliza Vhiski
Isendur Gallyan

Snipehunt

• New to the Mists
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 01:45:17 PM »
The problem has now been solved by DM Arawn! Thanks again!
Kashia Rydralle
Eliza Vhiski
Isendur Gallyan