You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: LFRP Opt In System (I'm bad at names)  (Read 11771 times)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: LFRP Opt In System (I'm bad at names)
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2015, 11:42:56 PM »
I can understand the concerns, but the problem is approaching someone oocly without knowing them for most people is kind of a hard thing to do. Sending that /tell is difficult because what if they don't want to talk to? There are players, I am sure, who never roleplay in public, who never leave their gruop of friends; i'm fine with that.

That. Everyone is here to roleplay but not everyone is here to roleplay with just everyone everytime. If I'm in the middle of a DM plot in Souragne or adventuring in Perfidus, I won't broadcast my availability to RP since it'll just mislead people. And for someone looking for RP, it'll be one less random person to approach when looking for RP.

It can be daunting when you log on alone in the Outskirts and can't find anyone around you. Most people, including posters here, won't start spamming the entire player list. What they'll do instead? Either log out of boredom or solo. With a system like that, you get a chance to hook up with people who may either be alone too and looking for RP or looking to include people in their RP.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2015, 11:45:49 PM »
I thought the player list was removed to prevent people from metagaming which class characters were?

Anyway, I strongly urge the dev team to go for specific locations, as you would be able to opt out of it anyway.
If it's so vague that you still won't be able to locate the RP, then the feature fails to do what it was created for.

Mereyn

• Undead Slayer
  • Resident Observer of the Freakshow
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2015, 12:47:05 PM »
Perhaps the feature could be designed in the way that it is more of a rumour.
Something along the lines of: "You've heard that Person-X has been sighted around Location-Y not long ago."
This would still leave it more or less IC, as rumours can spread about people. (NPCs do talk, afterall - word gets around.)
On the other hand it should still be toggleable, as the rest of the Debug-messages, for sake of privacy, etc.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2015, 12:55:28 PM »
I actually really like that rumor idea in theory but my concern would have to do with situations like criminal rp, or taking into account different variables like stealth or a disguise.

For instance someone hearing rumors that so and so was there the day farmer Bogdan got his turnips stolen doesn't bode well if we're worried about potential metagaming from the system.

Soul Suspect

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2015, 02:13:44 PM »
(Sort of summing up other peoples comments)

If the location is too vague people looking for RP will get frustrated and will find it hard to find others.
If the location is too accurate people engaging in secret RP will get frustrated as they wouldn't want their location broadcasted.
Spoiler: show

I'm working on a proposal dev-side; if it's approved, it'd work something like this:
@lfrp to opt in/out of it
@lfrp list to display a list of people interested in RP and their location (see below)
@lfrp loc to hide/show your location to others; if you choose to hide your location, people won't see in which area you are but you won't be able to see where others are either (goes both ways)
It'd work with emotes and you'd get a reminder when you log in that you are in LFRP mode.

EO's idea would work fairly well but it would be nice if some area's auto fire the @lfrp loc so that it changes from Show to Hide I.E some faction bases.
Or the command is @lfrp hide and @lfrp show so that if you are already in @lfrp hide it doesn't switch to @lfrp show as soon as you enter the area.
An indicator in the combat log every so often saying that you are broadcasting your location would be helpful as I grantee I'm going to forget what mode I'm in after a while or a new sub menu in the Rest menu?

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2015, 02:36:32 PM »
An indicator in the combat log every so often saying that you are broadcasting your location would be helpful as I grantee I'm going to forget what mode I'm in after a while or a new sub menu in the Rest menu?

If this system will end up working like EO suggested, you could simply type "@lfrp loc" to see whether your location is shown or hidden.

Soul Suspect

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2015, 02:48:36 PM »
If this system will end up working like EO suggested, you could simply type "@lfrp loc" to see whether your location is shown or hidden.

AH I see, it would be great if we could get specific locations.
I'm sure the area triggers would be fairly easy?
Would be a pain if it came up "Joe Bloggs - Ba’al Verzi HQ"

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2015, 03:27:22 PM »

AH I see, it would be great if we could get specific locations.
I'm sure the area triggers would be fairly easy?
Would be a pain if it came up "Joe Bloggs - Ba’al Verzi HQ"

I remember the system used for the MPCs would show faction bases and hidden places such as the Church or Nerull
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2016, 10:37:51 PM »
I'll implement the LFRP system in my next update but it won't include the option to hide your location for now (though secretive faction bases will by default be hidden); we considered having the option to hide it but figured that may encourage people to leave it on all the time even when not really seeking RP. Instead, people will activate it if they do look for RP.

We'll evaluate that choice as time goes.

Fyi, the commands will be:

@lfrp to toggle it on or off
@lfrp list to view the list of players on LFRP along with their location

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2016, 11:19:06 PM »
 :thumbup:

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2016, 11:31:59 PM »
Would this setting be on a per character or per username basis?
Just curious as I could see myself wanting one setting on one character, but perhaps more apt to opt in on a change of pace character.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2016, 06:45:16 AM »
I wuold think by character would be way less workload then by account?

But I'm not a coder-dude-guy.

booksarefun666

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2016, 12:38:55 AM »
This system will ruin POTM forever and will never be implemented.