You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: LFRP Opt In System (I'm bad at names)  (Read 11767 times)

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
LFRP Opt In System (I'm bad at names)
« on: December 26, 2015, 09:11:46 PM »
I'm curious if a system like this could exist without being too taxing on the server, but, essentially, a system wherein through the resting menu you could see other people who are flagged as being "looking for RP". Obviously a lot of RP is random and spontaneous, and that's fine and dandy, but on the other hand, a little meta to put yourself in the vicinity with others isn't so bad either, since it means you actually get to RP.

The system would also list off where they're at. And since it's opt in only those who wish to participate would have to.

This might also assist in getting people into some of the more obscure watering holes, for example, since it they might spot a handful of people there and decide to head over as well.

Feronius

• Dark Power
Re: LFRP Opt In System (I'm bad at names)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 09:28:49 PM »
I would not mind seeing PotM adopt a feature like that. I think it would encourage character interactions and help players find RP.

As long as there is an option to stay anonymous or to not show up on the list at all, there is no real downside to having such a feature.
A different server allowed you to toggle yourself as anonymous and this preference would even stick after relogging or server restarts.

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 09:45:56 PM »
Well that's what I mean by opt in. You'd have to opt in to the system to get into it by default, and would have the option to opt out again at the time of your choice.

Snipehunt

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 10:02:20 PM »
I would also like such a system, as it'd help shyer players like myself get accustomed to playing in the server. And a toggle to differentiate between people looking for 1x1 style conversations, and people hoping to set up a group, would also be cool.
Kashia Rydralle
Eliza Vhiski
Isendur Gallyan

Maiden

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 01:36:42 AM »
Also being an exceptionally shy player, l think a system like this would be great. I like meeting new characters (and don't really stick to any one group) but at times, it can be difficult to find spontaneous, in-depth RP. Not for lack of trying. Some people are just interested in different play styles (and 'intensity' of RP), which is fine.

I want to RP more!

:)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 01:42:34 AM by Maiden »

_Kaz

• Outlander
  • @letgo
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 04:11:21 AM »
I'm peeved by my inability to find people to RP with so I could very much use a feature like this.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 11:31:45 AM »
It's a pretty good idea.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 05:16:43 PM »
We are all looking for rp here, as this is an rp server. The bigger issue is finding it. having something like what MPCs get to find people would be nice :)

Snipehunt

• New to the Mists
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 06:22:16 PM »
We are all looking for rp here, as this is an rp server. The bigger issue is finding it. having something like what MPCs get to find people would be nice :)

Yeah, maybe not something as simple a system as "rp y/n" as all of us would be yes , given the nature of the system.

Maybe something with more detailed tags. Like one to note if someone if having a private or 'intimate' (not sexuality obvious because rules) role playing moment that they don't want ruined by some random person jumping in.
Kashia Rydralle
Eliza Vhiski
Isendur Gallyan

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 07:26:26 PM »

Yeah, maybe not something as simple a system as "rp y/n" as all of us would be yes , given the nature of the system.

Maybe something with more detailed tags. Like one to note if someone if having a private or 'intimate' (not sexuality obvious because rules) role playing moment that they don't want ruined by some random person jumping in.

Under this system, though, you'd be able to toggle it off, right?
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 07:43:02 PM »
I am admittedly confused as to what the tag is supposed to accomplish?

If everyone is already default tagged as "looking for RP", then having a tag doesn't really help anyone "find" RP.  Nor does it necessarily help for RP privacy purposes, since a tag of "not looking for RP" is not really accurate -- you are engaged in RP, you just don't want any outsider to participate in it (which is a little clique-ish and exclusionary to my sensibilities). 

Conversely, it could serve as a red flag for trolling or worse.  My fear would be that someone uses the tag as an equivalent of "afk" or "don't bother me", which might actually attract someone to come bother you.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 08:09:39 PM »
The idea was more simply Your Name - Your Location. Nothing fancy or anything like that.

And technically you'd have to toggle it on for it to occur in the first place, at least in as I saw it. Default is you're not in, then you can toggle in, then if you aren't into ti you can toggle off again.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 08:22:25 PM »
The idea was more simply Your Name - Your Location. Nothing fancy or anything like that.

And technically you'd have to toggle it on for it to occur in the first place, at least in as I saw it. Default is you're not in, then you can toggle in, then if you aren't into it you can toggle off again.

This is precisely how that system worked on the two servers I have seen it used on.
But on top of your character name and location, it also displayed your account name.

By default your character's location did not appear on the list, you needed to toggle that option first.
Players that had themselves set to anonymous could also still use the feature to find other players.

If the system is optional (and needs to be toggled on first), adding options for additional statuses should not be needed. If you don't want to be found, just don't turn the tracker on. And if you know you are going to be AFK for a prolonged period of time, you should simply log out. I have not had negative experiences with systems like this on this game.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 08:25:05 PM by Feronius »

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 08:57:56 PM »

And technically you'd have to toggle it on for it to occur in the first place, at least in as I saw it. Default is you're not in, then you can toggle in, then if you aren't into ti you can toggle off again.

The MPC system is better.  How it works is thus, say there are 50 people on.

@locate

Barovia - Vallaki - 20
Dementlieu - Port-a-Lucine - 20
Har'akir - 5
Barovia - village of barrovia - 5

No names, just place areas and number of people there.

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 09:56:16 PM »

The MPC system is better.  How it works is thus, say there are 50 people on.

@locate

Barovia - Vallaki - 20
Dementlieu - Port-a-Lucine - 20
Har'akir - 5
Barovia - village of barrovia - 5

No names, just place areas and number of people there.

Even with a system like this I'd still want an opt-out, if I'm playerside and off in one of my secret meeting spots I don't want it broadcast that I'm in there even if my name isn't shown.

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 10:06:13 PM »
Well yes, it's just as simple as R - Associated # - 1 for "Remove Me". And then when you want it back on, ditto but hit "List me"

This is assuming you've already opted in to the system. Thats why it should be opt in, rather then default on.

Also, for my opinon, I dislike it being vague. It's one thing with the MPC's because they are by their nature hostile and pvp based. The whole point of the system would be to allow people to see people more accurately so meet ups can occur. I've seen like, 40+ people on and not seen a soul. Telling me people are in "Valliki" isn't really helpful because Valliki consist of like a dozen massive zones with exponentially greater number of subzones.

But if I see like five people hanging out at The Drowned Rat or something, that's far more useful.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2015, 10:07:36 PM »
To be honest, if this system were implemented, I'd probably have it toggled "off" for the entire time I am logged in.  I don't necessarily want anyone to know where I am. 

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2015, 10:10:41 PM »
You wouldn't be toggled on in the first place.

I'm sorry I might be misspeaking here, but I've been trying to get this point across. Such a system would require you to manually turn it on, meaning you would only be in it if you opted into it. Hence the 'opt in" part.

If that's not your thing, that's cool, but if I'm sitting in La POrta in Quarter Publique and would like people to come by, I'd flip it on. Even more so if I'm at like, The Gilded Rose or Le Cafe de Artiste.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2015, 10:24:21 PM »
Perhaps it is best we don't bother with this and just continue as we have been doing as super secret rp could be compromised.

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2015, 10:25:08 PM »
I didn't like this idea when this was originally posted, but it's grown on me a bit. A lot of the time my characters are sitting in out-of-the-way places, waiting for RP that's never going to happen, and that definitely does frustrate me because there's some really cute and cool places in the module that never get used. I think an opt-in would be better than an opt-out, and it would definitely be necessary in my opinion.

I think my biggest concern is forgetting about it; I really do like to think of myself as an inclusive person, but if I forget to toggle off one day, and everyone can see what secret meeting place, or what high-loot dungeon I'm doing, and people decide to randomly show up halfway through RP or whatever and interrupt, I can see it grinding me the wrong way. Preferably it would have to be toggled-on each time you logged in, I'd even go so far as to suggest that it would have to be toggled on each time you change area.

Maiden

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2015, 10:30:55 PM »
I'd forget the location thing entirely. What do people do when they want to hang out with their friends? They send a tell. That's actually what I assumed would happen!

Organizing to cross paths OOC doesn't seem bad to me. People seem to arrive mysteriously to underway dungeon runs after all...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 10:39:50 PM by Maiden »

Tarmikos1

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2015, 10:46:54 PM »
If you can manually opt in and out of it then it wouldn't disrupt things, but I have known dozens of players
who I have attempted to get into roleplay and the server quit, due to not being able to find roleplay or people and
become frustrated after spending hours in empty zones, and not knowing the community, because joining
a community like this can be intimidating to some.

When hanging about in an inn or port-a-lucine, you could opt in so others know those areas are populated
if you wanted general roleplay, if it is a secret hush hush thing then don't. And with the size of the world and
new areas being added makes places like Har Akir and Hazlan which are wonderful areas less likely to be
roleplayed in, Har Akir from my own experience is entirely a dungeon run place.

Turning it off is a must though, because I can imagine the nightmares of having people turning up to secret meetings,
dungeon runs or even people who have bounties.

I like the idea of a voluntary system which can be used to sort of light a candle to roleplay hotspots.

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2015, 10:53:24 PM »
I didn't like this idea when this was originally posted, but it's grown on me a bit. A lot of the time my characters are sitting in out-of-the-way places, waiting for RP that's never going to happen, and that definitely does frustrate me because there's some really cute and cool places in the module that never get used. I think an opt-in would be better than an opt-out, and it would definitely be necessary in my opinion.

I think my biggest concern is forgetting about it; I really do like to think of myself as an inclusive person, but if I forget to toggle off one day, and everyone can see what secret meeting place, or what high-loot dungeon I'm doing, and people decide to randomly show up halfway through RP or whatever and interrupt, I can see it grinding me the wrong way. Preferably it would have to be toggled-on each time you logged in, I'd even go so far as to suggest that it would have to be toggled on each time you change area.

I dunno about per area. But per login, yeah.

Functionality has to meet server load, after all, and I think flicking it off every time you zone might be an increase on server load? I dunno.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2015, 11:14:06 PM »
If I were to implement it (if!), you'd toggle it on and it'd stay on until you toggled it off but you'd get a reminder message whenever you logged in or something like that. It'd be simpler to manage that way.

Pagliacci

• Undead Slayer
  • Vesti la giubba
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2015, 11:22:33 PM »
NO IM PRETTY SURE YOU JUST  CONFIRMED HALF LIFE THREE GOOD JOB.

But yeah that system works. I think I've gotten my point across about why I feel such a system would be useful and how it should be voluntary to prevent ze secrets being let out.