You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Divinity of Mankind  (Read 4954 times)

Truth_USMC

• Undead Master
Divinity of Mankind
« on: November 26, 2015, 11:12:18 AM »
Looking for any extra info. about this religion of Paridon, hard to find anything in depth on google.  Thanks
'Smile, be polite and have a plan to kill everyone you meet" -Marine saying

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
Re: Divinity of Mankind
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 11:21:17 AM »
Spoiler: Wall of text! • show
Quote from Bluebomber4evr
The Paridon Gazetteer is not canon at all. The info in the World Religion section and the Garbs of Mankind item in-game is based on the canon info on the religion in Van Richten's Arsenal.

Here's all of the CANON info on the Divinity of Mankind:

Hour of the Knife adventure module (2nd edition rules), pages 26 & 28 (sidebar)

Ravenloft 3rd Edition Campaign Setting, pages 164-165:
Although they worship no gods, many Paridoners, especially aristocrats, subscribe to a "theological philosophy" known as the Divinity of Mankind. Lodges of male Paridoners meet weekly to discuss philosophy, the arts, and natural science.

The crux of their beliefs is perfection of the mind, body, and spirit, an aspiration that has spawned a peculiar monastic tradition. Some folk whisper that the Divinity conceals more sinister activities and that lodge members participate in secretive occult rites steeped in the language of alchemy.

Van Richten's Arsenal, page 148:

I really enjoy this religion/domain so I will try to answer more questions about it! If it helps at all, the religion calls to mind Enlightenment era ideas, from my study of philosophy, so incorporating sort of humanistic elements, as well as Plato's 'tripartite soul' (which really fits it, I feel) is doable, I think. The beauty of the philosophy is that it has a few different interpretations so you can play around with it a bit!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 04:09:58 PM by emptyanima »

Truth_USMC

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 09:35:10 PM »
Just out of curiosity do they have a creation legend of any sort?
'Smile, be polite and have a plan to kill everyone you meet" -Marine saying

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 10:45:25 PM »
Just out of curiosity do they have a creation legend of any sort?
Nope. The stuff that emptyanima posted in that spoiler is all of the available information on the religion.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 07:58:01 PM »
*Casts Necromantic Thread Revival*

I'd like to flesh out this faith further as it is my intent, after Bombescu's eventual and inevitable murder, to play a follower of that faith. Be it a cleric, a monk or a paladin. The idea of the paladin is particularly intriguing because faced with the higher number of non-humans in the Core, he would be sure to see his beliefs challenged as he strives to be a champion of humanity.

Obviously, even though the 2nd edition source claim the philosophy is the same as the one presented in the AD&D 2nd edition The Complete Priest's Handbook, the few info we got from Hours of the Knife and the Ravenloft 3rd edition source books suggests that it experienced something of a theological shift since it's inceptions in the Mists. A common theme for Faiths stranded in the isolation of the demiplane of dread. The goals are the same, but the methods grew darker in some cases. Namely said the willingness to "experiment" on captured dopplegangers in order to "lock them in a purer" form for instance. This is is good as any an explanation to rationalize the changes brought by 3rd edition rules now allowing clerics of that philosophy to Lawful Evil, whereas in 2nd edition that philosophy was resolutely against all Evil faiths.

Quote from: AD&D 2nd Edition, The Complete Priest's Handbook
Divinity of Mankind (Philosophy)

This is not a god, but a philosophy, and one so compelling that it generates magical energy which priests of the philosophy can tap like a true god's priests are granted energies by the god. This philosophy states that mankind (specifically, the human race, including half-elves reared among humans, but excluding dwarves, elves, gnomes, halflings) is nearly a divine being, and should do as much as he can to achieve perfection # physical, mental, and emotional perfection, always and in all ways. The philosophy encourages men to strive for the physical ideal and to
learn as much as possible of the world.

So that's the idea that the priests promote. They cooperate in all sorts of educational, artistic, and competitive enterprises, seek to counsel people in every aspect of living their lives, and
provide sanctuaries for people to meditate on the priesthood's teachings.

The priests of this philosophy are on good terms with the priests of Ancestors, Arts, Competition, Crafts, Literature/Poetry, Metalwork, Music/Dance, Good, Love, Race (Human), Strength, and Wisdom. The priests of this philosophy dislike the priests of Evil.

Alignment: The philosophy is true neutral. Priests may be lawful good or lawful neutral. The flock may be of any Good or Neutral alignment.

Minimum Ability Scores: Wisdom 12, Strength 12. Wisdom or Strength 16 means +5% experience; Wisdom
and  Strength 16 means +10% experience.

Races Allowed: Half-elves, humans.

Nonweapon and Weapon Proficiencies:
Nonweapon Proficiencies Required: Reading/Writing.
Nonweapon Proficiencies Recommended: Religion.
Weapon Proficiencies Required: None.
Nonweapon Proficiency Group Crossovers: Priest, General.

Duties of the Priest: Guidance, Marriage. Encouragement of the flock (and of mankind in general) always to improve itself spiritually and physically.

Weapon and Armor Restrictions:
Weapons Permitted: Dagger/dirk, knife, stiletto, swords (all).
Armor Permitted: All armor, all shields. Oriental Campaigns: Also katana, wakizashi. All together, these constitute Good combat abilities.

Other Limitations: None.

Spheres of Influence:
Major Access to All, Charm, Healing.
Minor Access to Combat, Creation, Divination, Protection.
This priesthood has two extra minor accesses and so will not have especially strong Granted Powers.

Powers: Soothing Word (as per the Designing Faiths chapter).

Followers and Strongholds: The followers are received at 8th level, and consist of one third-level priest and seven first-level priests of the same order, one third-level paladin and seven first-level paladins, and one third-level and even first-level bards. The priest may take the following on adventures: Two priests, two paladins, and two bards of his choice. The priesthood will pay for half of the cost of stronghold construction at 8th level. The stronghold must include large discussion rooms or halls, where priests and those interested in debating the subject may convene and discuss their philosophy, and meditation chambers where visitors may meditate in peace.

Possible Symbols: Human silhouette.

Now, I'd like your opinions and suggestions as to how we can develop this Faith further. These few ideas come to mind:
* Mantras instead of prayers.
* Shapeshifting magic and powers being worse than necromancy.
* Hunting down shapeshifters of all kind, including druids and those using polymorphing magic if they can't be convinced to change their erroneous way.
* Clerics and Paladins held by oath to cast their beneficial magic on Humans only.
* Always seek to educate the unenlightened to the fact that there are no Gods. That clerical powers only comes from oneself.
* To be a patron of arts, philosophy, mental and physical fitness.

Any others ideas?
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 08:36:29 PM »
In van Richtens arsenal there is a group of celebrants that wants to use shapechanging to make non humans human. They are not widely followed but also not that frowned upon so i dont think they are that much against shapechanging in itself.

Building out off the mists

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 09:02:46 PM »
Only insofar as it is used to then lock the target in human form. It is a controversial approach though.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 02:19:16 PM »
Bumping this; I updated what links I could to include the Hour of the Knife information (as I actually have that book!).

Unfortunately, I do not own Van Richten's Arsenal; if anyone could snap the Divinity of Mankind information on page 148 so I could update the final bit of the post, that would be fantastic!

Thanks to the kind person who owned VR: A - this is now up to date!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 04:10:36 PM by emptyanima »