You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Itu Skoven - South Caves (curst cave)  (Read 3101 times)

THE STREET WARRIOR

• New to the Mists
Itu Skoven - South Caves (curst cave)
« on: November 18, 2015, 04:42:48 AM »
Recently cleared the caves with curst swordsman and assassins on the highest spawn. The swordsman are nice and balanced, but the assassins are incredibly tough now, which is fine. I don't think the xp is on par, nor is the loot table here. The chests are incredibly hard to break and the loot table is on par with the morning lord crypt.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Itu Skoven - South Caves (curst cave)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 06:20:23 AM »
That area has not been changed, to my knowledge. The chests have a relatively high loot value, though not the highest by any means.

THE STREET WARRIOR

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 12:28:50 PM »
The bodies that hold are pretty much the same and spawn correctly now. But the chests downstairs are different, used to be 2 now there are 3. They drop things you would and should find around Barovia's lower spawn area's. Brooch of shielding, hellbreath potions etc. For how strong the assassin's are now after the hak updates it needs to be looked at. The assassin's can shave off 250 hp in seconds with true strike now, they cast darkness and other neat little tricks. Risk/reward for the cave is off now. Especially those chests, they are so underwhelming now. Been there countless times before the update and never extracted such low tier items.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 12:43:02 PM »
Those are actually very useful items and come in handy.. the place does give high reward.. Pulled out a black blade of disaster scroll from it... Still saving that puppy for a rainy day I will say however it is difficult and interesting since the assassins have an epic feat on them.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 05:36:22 PM »
I think the area is at the correct difficulty for what you get.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 05:39:50 PM »

Agreed
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 05:41:05 PM »

Agreed

Echoed. The difficulty spike was noted, and one must be even more careful now. The risk-reward is sound. Also True Strike doesn't even last anywhere near as long to remain a persistent threat. You just need a balanced party with a capable tank. It honestly felt far too easy before.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 05:59:29 PM by Sword »
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 07:52:30 AM »
only advise I can think of for that dungeon is.... Antagonize... REDUCE THAT AC!!! WOOOO!!! but that was after realizing it's usefulness but I agree with the other three.. Its just fine and generally worth the risk.

THE STREET WARRIOR

• New to the Mists
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 07:56:32 AM »
Curst assassins and swordsmane = Skeleton knights, marsman and huecueva's. Dc 26 str scheck chest = dc 33 str check chest, i guess the math does add up.

julienchab

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 08:54:55 AM »
Curst assassins and swordsmane = Skeleton knights, marsman and huecueva's. Dc 26 str scheck chest = dc 33 str check chest, i guess the math does add up.

Can't say i understand you math here...

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 09:05:12 AM »

Can't say i understand you math here...

Agreed.. how we going from crusts to... skeletons? and where is the breaking the chest open coming from!?

THE STREET WARRIOR

• New to the Mists
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 07:43:03 PM »
In my first post I didn't say the lock was picked, I said it was broken. I compared the morninglord spawns with the curst fighters because it's the same loot spawns. Forgot to mention the bodies, which are fine, they drop acceptable stuff for just laying there. Everyone that's posted seems to think it's fine, so the equation stands, morninglord spawn is equal to the curst caves, a dc 26 chest is equal to a 33 dc chest (strength check). I'm not saying raise the loot ceiling, bring the mf'in floor up.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 08:53:45 PM »
Some facts:

The average treasure value for a chest in the Morninglord crypt is less than half the treasure value of the average chest in the curst lair. This is comparing the four sarcophagi in the crypt to the three chests at the bottom of curst.

None of the treasures for the Morninglord crypt share the same treasury (aka loot table) as any of the chests in the curst lair.

It's possible for certain items to be in multiple treasuries. It's also possible for a lower value chest to spawn a very high value item, but this is rare. To elaborate, there is a total value for a chest which is divided among the contents you find inside. Because of this, you can find a greater range of values than you might think.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:13:24 PM by Bad_Bud »

THE STREET WARRIOR

• New to the Mists
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 09:47:43 PM »
Appreciate the facts. The last 6-7 times we've been there, same spawn, same dc on the chests the loot was pathetic, I've never seen it this bad. The only memorable things were a robe of wizardry, quintessence, brooch of shielding and hellfire potion. The last two were in a chest with nothing else, you need to roll an 18 with 32 str to open that. I can find all these things pretty reliably soloing a far, far easier spot in Barovia without having to open a single chest or cast a buff. Maybe add sums of gold to these chests or knock the dc down a bit.