You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Emote/Command - Sing/Music/hums  (Read 3191 times)

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
Emote/Command - Sing/Music/hums
« on: November 17, 2015, 09:44:08 AM »
Could be have have the bard song vfx made into a command like "smoke" and "cast"? We have alot of players who emote playing a instrument, singing or humming that the visual would be very much appreciated.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
Re: Emote/Command - Sing/Music/hums
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 01:56:41 PM »
I like this suggestion.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 06:37:39 PM »
I never really had use for it, but I think it is good idea :P
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Xarnata_Mobile

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 08:52:21 AM »
Humming could be something similar to the talking, but slower, bobbing head left to right with a bit of the leg tap for tempo

Singing could be similar, using laughing and maybe mix in one arm of the begging animation

And there's a nice animation for playing music on Avernostra, I'm sure Mad Poet would love to trade some stuff with PoTM.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 09:07:38 AM »
We discussed this before and felt that the music notes animation was a bit too cartoony to be used as an emote.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 07:59:19 PM »
If that's the case, wouldn't mind seeing the "Smoke" vfx go. The massive burst of brief smoke seems on the same line of being cartoony and a little over the top.

peps

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 08:08:47 PM »
If that's the case, wouldn't mind seeing the "Smoke" vfx go. The massive burst of brief smoke seems on the same line of being cartoony and a little over the top.

I've never seen the smoke VFX like that.

Also, music notes popping up for your character just because you started sing doesn't make too much sense is what EO is saying. Bard song is a magical spell.
It gives off a very IMVU/social-interaction game vibe.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 08:46:39 PM »

Notes appearing above your head just because you sing is a lot different than smoke rising from your character because you're smoking. When I smoke, smoke rises. When I sing-well, there aren't any notes floating around me
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 08:54:22 PM »
We discussed this before and felt that the music notes animation was a bit too cartoony to be used as an emote.

I take it it's not possible to separate the sound fx from the visual fx?
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 09:36:15 PM »
I'd actually prefer the visual over the perform music/sounds, especially if the visual could be made to linger as long as a person is RPing that they're singing/performing. It's a good, non-invasive indicator of what's going on without the player having to repeat the same emote over and over and over and over and over and over every time a new person enters the area.
: )

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 09:56:36 PM »

Notes appearing above your head just because you sing is a lot different than smoke rising from your character because you're smoking. When I smoke, smoke rises. When I sing-well, there aren't any notes floating around me

Speak for yourself, when I sing, the whole room is filled with musical note   :mrgreen: lol
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 11:46:54 AM »

It isnt like cigarette smoke, where its mostly transparent and only little swirls and wisps of smoke. Its a thick massive burst of smoke. More similar to the smoke coming out a chimney. There was a new smoke vfx released i believe that was for smoking, and for breath in cold weather which isnt as showy.

http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/ccc-2011-dec-winter
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:02:39 PM by Miuo »

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 12:55:16 PM »
I would agree about that smoke vfx, it's like the one smoking is puffing on a steam engine flume with the amount of smoke that is displayed  ;) As for the musical notes vfx, I don't see the issue personaly and agree that it would be a benefit to RP in my oppinion.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:57:16 PM by Honoun »

dark_majico

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 07:19:21 AM »

It isnt like cigarette smoke, where its mostly transparent and only little swirls and wisps of smoke. Its a thick massive burst of smoke. More similar to the smoke coming out a chimney. There was a new smoke vfx released i believe that was for smoking, and for breath in cold weather which isnt as showy.

http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/ccc-2011-dec-winter

It's no where near like how your describing it, and the appearance of smoke varies a lot depending how cold it is, how much light is present, how much you inhale, how quickly or slowly you exhale. As a semi casual smoker who inhales deeply and exhales slowly I get very thick opaque plumes of smoke. The NWN animation looks fine. You have to remember this is a very old game with a very limited engine, you can't expect anything to look realistic, I think that is what makes this game hold up so well, it isn't trying to be realistic where technology levels just don't allow it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 07:21:09 AM by dark_majico »

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 08:49:05 AM »
I do remember seeing an animation used on another server that allowed you to blow a smoke ring, rather than a column of smoke.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Rodarn

• Outlander
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 12:43:42 PM »
I think that smoke vfx would be much better, I also would enjoy making little notes on the very very few occasions my characters sing.

Perdiot Olivene