You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Greater Magic Varnish  (Read 8277 times)

Syl

• Dark Power
Re: Greater Magic Varnish
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2015, 07:50:46 AM »
Personally I never understood the mechanics behind premonition, but I wont get into that.

And to say people have a high immunity to some elements is rather off. the highest I have achived for damage " Resistance" is 15. and that is with a feat. and most things on this server will take fire damage.. and lightning.. Heh.. I haven't seen anything yet that doesn't take damage from a negative varnish.. LOL Hells even the undead take damage. ( which is kinda odd but [shrugs] ) and as Knas said.. alchemy IS available to ANYONE... unless your character is deathly frail... or Dumber then a ooze They can do alchemy. ( anything less then a 8 stat you cannot preform the craft.) Just because one " Doesn't have the time" Does not mean it is not available to them.. they can go out and buy the varnishes from other people.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 09:37:25 AM »
Syl, premonition works exactly like stoneskin and greater stoneskin (well, it's stronger than either now). Unless you have a +5 EB on your weapon the first 30 points of damage dealt per attack are absorbed, with a total of 10 points of damage per caster level being absorbed before the spell fades. So a level 20 mage that casts premonition will absorb the first 30 points of damage from every attack until they have absorbed 10 * 20 = 200 points of damage. If the person attacking them has a +5 EB on their weapon the spell is bypassed and absorbs nothing at all.

Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 09:48:48 AM »
Syl, premonition works exactly like stoneskin and greater stoneskin (well, it's stronger than either now). Unless you have a +5 EB on your weapon the first 30 points of damage dealt per attack are absorbed, with a total of 10 points of damage per caster level being absorbed before the spell fades. So a level 20 mage that casts premonition will absorb the first 30 points of damage from every attack until they have absorbed 10 * 20 = 200 points of damage. If the person attacking them has a +5 EB on their weapon the spell is bypassed and absorbs nothing at all.

LOL not what I ment exactly I understand HOW it works.. I just used the wrong word for what I meant.

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 10:01:23 AM »
Actually, I have two characters that have the funds to buy lots of varnish and would-if anyone would ever sell them  :lol:

Don't forget the fact that alchemy is available to ANYONE. That means non casters gain access to a large portion of the caster library as is. I see no reason why it should be made better than the actual spells. It wasn't before the change and I doubt we'll change it to be in the future.

You never know which unassuming Port-á-Lucine resident might have obscene stockpiles of varnishes and literally can't even GIVE them away.

"A no wisdom ranger is literally unwise."

THE STREET WARRIOR

• New to the Mists
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2015, 11:32:33 AM »
I think this should be looked at again. Alchemy has all of it's usefulness siphoned out of it as of now. Every element can be cast on weapons now, except lightning and acid I think.

Lesser varnish: 1d4
Flame Weapon: 1d4
Darkfire: 1d6
Frost Weapon: 1d6
Sonic Weapon: 1d6
Strong varnish: 1d8
Greater varnish: 1d12

How is this useless? Also are you aware Stoneskin and Greater Stoneskin are now X/+4 damage reduction rather than X/+5?

There's 3 greater varnishes available, fire, ice and negative. Negative you will never get enough to have a good inventory of to make use. 80-85% of the server is immune to either fire or ice or both. Anybody worth their salt in pvp will have high immunity items to elemental damage.

I'm not taking your feedback seriously because your arguments are dramatic and do not make sense. Why would elemental varnishes become useless because of frost weapon, when by your own argument cold damage is useless? That would mean it doesn't matter where the damage comes from, because it's useless either way and thus alchemy is neither better nor worse than before.

And why would you run away because a mage that casts premonition? You knock the mage down. That's how people have always dealt with high damage soak.

You're totally right, my posts were sudden and striking or relating to the study or performance of drama, thanks for pointing it out. The thread is about greater magical varnish, not elemental varnishes. It's clearly not going to change, so there's no point in talking about it.

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2015, 03:14:54 PM »
Just give me +5 and let everyone else +4 ... that should be alright.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2015, 03:23:29 PM »

Play a Paladin then :|
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2015, 03:26:44 PM »
So, premonition shouldn't have a counter to it at all? You see it cast just split from the fight, yeah that makes sense, total balance there.

Premonition still has a lot of counters: they can still be dispelled; they will be stripped by Spell Breach, which, remember, can be used by Rogues via spell scrolls; natural attacks with creatures with +5 damage reduction will also ignore it; and finally there's still a +5 weapon buff available to Paladins.

Sure, not everyone can access these counters, but then I suspect that's somewhat the point.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2015, 04:01:35 AM »

Play a Paladin then :|

You know I hate paladins bunch of arrogant self righteous do-gooder.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2015, 08:51:49 AM »
So, premonition shouldn't have a counter to it at all? You see it cast just split from the fight, yeah that makes sense, total balance there.

Premonition still has a lot of counters: they can still be dispelled; they will be stripped by Spell Breach, which, remember, can be used by Rogues via spell scrolls; natural attacks with creatures with +5 damage reduction will also ignore it; and finally there's still a +5 weapon buff available to Paladins.

Sure, not everyone can access these counters, but then I suspect that's somewhat the point.

UMD MONKEYS!! totally the best things about rogues! also a rogue can be just as much a nightmare as a fighter to Wizards.. even if they have PRemenition.. their sneak damage if high enough can still damage them past it also you could actually counter the spell IF you know how AND have the spell. [ coughs] Feebleminded [coug cough]