You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Greater Magic Varnish  (Read 8280 times)

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
Greater Magic Varnish
« on: November 09, 2015, 12:57:40 PM »
the description said +5 but now is +4 when use. I understand nerfing Greater Magic to +4 at level 20 but but Why the varnishes ? It should be unique ! is not easy to obtain or make it should remain +5. Do I need to be a Paladin for +5 ???  ;)

Vasile

Re: Greater Magic Varnish
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 01:06:31 PM »
They nerfed the damage reduction spells (stoneskin, imp stoneskin etc) to be 10/+4 etc etc. I am not 100% that this is true for all the reduction spells, but aside from missing out on +1 ab nothing was really lost here.

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 01:19:46 PM »
Premonition is +5 and is hard killing Knight Mage with just +4 they cheat and prebuff  :roll:

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 01:31:14 PM »
Take the good with the bad, Mayvind!

Vasile

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 01:32:49 PM »
Yeah I can see how that would be a problem, but it's good that player crafted things can't completely bypass a mages defenses. You can probably take it down with one or two other buddies spamming KD on it, and use an invis purge if he has concealment.

Or get a mage with spell breach. Either or.  :D

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 07:24:08 PM »
Premonition is +5 and is hard killing Knight Mage with just +4 they cheat and prebuff  :roll:

Greater Spell Breach -- make friends with a wizzy buddy :)

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 08:42:38 AM »
* whistles twirling morticans' disjunction scroll* Always keep one handy! :)

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 08:56:33 PM »
Is Mortican Mordenkainen's lesser known, younger brother?   :D
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 11:56:03 PM »
Is Mortican Mordenkainen's lesser known, younger brother?   :D

Lets see you spell Mordenkainen's when you don't very often :P also was at work so couldn't look up the name. LOL but you get who i was refering to..So.. yes.. Mortican is his younger undpoken of brother that was used to testing his spells on.... Poor Mortican.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 12:45:25 AM »
I guess that would also be the brother of Morticia, of the Addams Family.

Cara mia!

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 07:17:08 AM »
I guess that would also be the brother of Morticia, of the Addams Family.

Cara mia!
I think its cada mia isnt it?

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 08:01:11 AM »
Yea bunch of numbskulls LOL

and it is Cara mia which translates from Italian to Beautiful darling.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 08:34:01 AM »

Yay points for me!

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 09:04:25 AM »

Yay points for me!

We're going (delightfully) off topic, but...

Gomez is  Castilian. He often responds with this endearment when Morticia speaks French. So on one level it's a joke if he's a Spaniard speaking Italian in response to French.

On another level, if he's speaking in his native Spanish, he would be saying, "my face."

After all, he's a pretty ridiculous person :)
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

THE STREET WARRIOR

• New to the Mists
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 04:36:09 AM »
I think this should be looked at again. Alchemy has all of it's usefulness siphoned out of it as of now. Every element can be cast on weapons now, except lightning and acid I think.
Having +5 on the greater varnishes would give the craft a sought after varnish. They're consumable, the ingredients are fairly difficult to stockpile a large quantity. As of now the craft is only good for arrows and enchanting essences. Please show alchemy some love, thanks.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 06:24:54 AM »
I think this should be looked at again. Alchemy has all of it's usefulness siphoned out of it as of now. Every element can be cast on weapons now, except lightning and acid I think.

Lesser varnish: 1d4
Flame Weapon: 1d4
Darkfire: 1d6
Frost Weapon: 1d6
Sonic Weapon: 1d6
Strong varnish: 1d8
Greater varnish: 1d12

How is this useless? Also are you aware Stoneskin and Greater Stoneskin are now X/+4 damage reduction rather than X/+5?

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 07:15:50 AM »
Having +5 on the greater varnishes would give the craft a sought after varnish. They're consumable, the ingredients are fairly difficult to stockpile a large quantity. As of now the craft is only good for arrows and enchanting essences. Please show alchemy some love, thanks.

Don't forget the fact that alchemy is available to ANYONE. That means non casters gain access to a large portion of the caster library as is. I see no reason why it should be made better than the actual spells. It wasn't before the change and I doubt we'll change it to be in the future.

THE STREET WARRIOR

• New to the Mists
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 08:45:20 PM »

How is this useless? Also are you aware Stoneskin and Greater Stoneskin are now X/+4 damage reduction rather than X/+5?

There's 3 greater varnishes available, fire, ice and negative. Negative you will never get enough to have a good inventory of to make use. 80-85% of the server is immune to either fire or ice or both. Anybody worth their salt in pvp will have high immunity items to elemental damage. You literally have to go to hell to get the greater ice and fire essences, and you will pull maybe 2-3 ice and 3-5 fire in your group if you share and this takes hours. The +4 magic varnish being applied to an enchanted shield or armor does next to nothing, is it worth burning on an enchanted weapon, nah it's not. Better off making ammunition with the strongest essences.

Greater stoneskin is now +4, so? You can cast it on others, which makes it infinitely more useful than before. I didn't mention anything about these spells, premonition still can't be cracked. All I'm saying is you should give the greater magical varnish +5 to give the craft at least something in it's arsenal. As it is now just a support craft for making ammo and enchanting, which is bugged out.

[/quote]

Don't forget the fact that alchemy is available to ANYONE. That means non casters gain access to a large portion of the caster library as is. I see no reason why it should be made better than the actual spells. It wasn't before the change and I doubt we'll change it to be in the future.
[/quote]

It's not available to everyone though, if you don't have the stats or time you can't pursue it. What do you mean you get a large portion of the caster library as an alchemist? You're thinking of herbalism. Which works two ways, cause casters get access to healing and other caster libraries not available to them. The reason to consider giving the +5 back is to balance the scales. Give the craft one sought after item. Nobody buys varnishes, I've spent days selling items and that's the one craft nobody buys anything from.

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 09:32:17 PM »
Actually, I have two characters that have the funds to buy lots of varnish and would-if anyone would ever sell them  :lol:

I don't think that giving greater magic varnish would be balancing at all though. GMW was capped for a reason, so that things like premonition weren't just cut through like butter, making enemies go from difficult to a breeze as soon as you get access to +5 EB. The lesser forms of those spells, stoneskin and greater stoneskin, were reduced to +4/x so that there was still a use for hitting the GMW cap. I dunno, I think it's pretty nice really. And as an alchemist I'm not worried that my greater magical essence won't give +5 anymore, I'm worried about all these seemingly random and unanounced changes made to the recipes!

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 09:42:46 PM »
Technically IIRC you can get Greater Acid varnishes, but the monsters who drop the appropriate reagent are only DM spawns, I believe.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 09:54:26 PM »
Technically IIRC you can get Greater Acid varnishes, but the monsters who drop the appropriate reagent are only DM spawns, I believe.

yes!

THE STREET WARRIOR

• New to the Mists
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 10:03:08 PM »
So, premonition shouldn't have a counter to it at all? You see it cast just split from the fight, yeah that makes sense, total balance there.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 10:05:11 PM »
So, premonition shouldn't have a counter to it at all? You see it cast just split from the fight, yeah that makes sense, total balance there.
This isn't a PVP heavy server.  Balance also doesn't inherently mean every single entity in the game has a hard counter.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:06:57 PM by FinalHeaven »

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 10:22:02 PM »

There's 3 greater varnishes available, fire, ice and negative. Negative you will never get enough to have a good inventory of to make use. 80-85% of the server is immune to either fire or ice or both. Anybody worth their salt in pvp will have high immunity items to elemental damage.

I'm not taking your feedback seriously because your arguments are dramatic and do not make sense. Why would elemental varnishes become useless because of frost weapon, when by your own argument cold damage is useless? That would mean it doesn't matter where the damage comes from, because it's useless either way and thus alchemy is neither better nor worse than before.

And why would you run away because a mage that casts premonition? You knock the mage down. That's how people have always dealt with high damage soak.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:26:08 PM by Bad_Bud »

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 10:29:08 PM »
Sorry, but I feel personally that when I can cut through the most powerful damage soaking ward in the game like it's not even there just because I dump a liquid that you can actually make in pretty good abundance-that's the opposite of balance. Stoneskin and Greater Stoneskin weren't nerfed to +4/x arbitrarily, it was also done to balance things-they aren't thestrongest damage soaking wards and so should be able to be bypassed with the right, powerful, tools.

+4 EB is still very powerful, I don't see the big deal. There is like, 1 instance in which it can't bypass damage soak. And by the way, premonition -can- be bypassed still, just not nearly as easily as before.