Author Topic: Where runs better NWN?(Linux,windows,mac)  (Read 2520 times)

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
Where runs better NWN?(Linux,windows,mac)
« on: November 05, 2015, 06:22:12 PM »
Where runs better NWN?(Linux,windows,mac).Please answer the survey.

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
Re: Where runs better NWN?(Linux,windows,mac)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 06:25:08 PM »
Using a Mac, I think it probably runs worst on my OS. For one, the Toolset cannot be opened. :D

So I've never been able to play with it. However, I initially got this laptop for schoolwork, and five years later seems only now to be losing steam in places.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a job soon and save for a laptop I can access the Toolset with. I love lots of the native Mac stuff, but for gaming it's certainly not optimised. :D

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 06:46:16 PM »
I have heard that linux runs smoothly, but I've also heard that it's a nightmare to get it to run at all, and when there are problems - there are PROBLEMS. The issues PC will have is compatibility on newer systems (oddly enough)
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 07:07:43 PM »
It runs fine on my Ubuntu Linux using PlayOnLinux. PlayOnLinux has the GOG install in its database, so with that it was very easy to get everything working.

I actually prefer it on here because this is just a nicer system than my old Windows computer, and Linux can be much cleaner than Windows (not so many crazy things running in the background).

For example, much less need for antivirus.

IMO it depends on which OS you are more comfortable with, though. If you like Windows, why try to get it to run on an OS it wasn't designed for? But if you prefer Linux, there's no need to have a separate system/dual boot to run NWN. Just go the PlayOnLinux route.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 09:45:21 PM »
Windows.... Cause I have no experience with any other OS :P

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 11:36:12 PM »
I've had problems on just about any platform, but I think they are also hardware related over the OS.  Hell I still have a -Vista- running machine out of my three PC's because it does one thing, and one thing only - play NWN.  And it does so wonderfully, but that is the limit of its abilities.  But it doesn't run toolset either!  My main PC runs the toolset just fine - but it chugs like mad when I'm playing the game, hanging during combat for up to ten seconds at a time (even though it plays Witcher 3 at maximum settings beautifully).  It also has to be played in windowed mode for some reason - in fullscreen mode at 1920x1080 resolution, it flickers very rapidly and very painfully.

Linux is, from what I hear, one of the best platforms to use.  The trouble is, is that Linux is very user friendly - but is very choosy about who it wants to be friends with.  If you can master it you can do truly amazing things, but for the rest of us we tend to be stuck with either one clunking system or the other.

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 06:29:12 AM »
I've had a lot of problems running NWN natively on Linux from sound glitches to crashes. Soooo Windows, how ever much I'd like that wasn't the case! :P

Linux is, from what I hear, one of the best platforms to use.  The trouble is, is that Linux is very user friendly - but is very choosy about who it wants to be friends with.  If you can master it you can do truly amazing things, but for the rest of us we tend to be stuck with either one clunking system or the other.

Well, I'd really haphazard to guess that to young people completely new to using a computer, modern user-friendly Linux distributions like Ubuntu might even be easier to use than Windows 10.

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 01:42:03 PM »
I prefer to play on Linux...  I haven't ever had any issues with it on Linux, other than for the first couple of years no one had made a driver for my creative X-Fi sound card.

But, I have Adobe CS3 on an old windows XP machine, so anytime I feel like photoshopping, which is often, then I end up just using the NWN from there too.
I am like George R. R. Martin, just sticking with old technology because I know how to use it really good.   :lol:

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 12:13:03 PM »
come on people i need more points of view. XD

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 03:40:29 PM »
Linux. Not using play on linux, just a manual setup with the steps I posted around here at some point. There are some very minor downsides compared to Windows. Not sure if play on linux allows you to use the Aurora Toolset, but that's one sizable downside that I can't run it natively. In any case, a major pro factor is being without Windows, cause Windows. I'm not a fan of OSes that act like Spyware, among many other things. :p
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 03:42:02 PM by Telkar »

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 04:41:41 PM »
There are some very minor downsides compared to Windows. Not sure if play on linux allows you to use the Aurora Toolset, but that's one sizable downside that I can't run it natively.

I've not attempted anything significant with the Toolset on PlayOnLinux, but it appears to work.

When I did everything by default for the GOG setup, the only desktop icon I got was for the game itself (nwmain.exe). If I click down in the folders, however, and find nwn.exe, it runs and gives the usual options, including starting the Toolset.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.