You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: What makes you read a character's biography?  (Read 10308 times)

raeda in fossa

• Undead Slayer
  • The Lady of Shallott Looking at Lancelot (1894)
    • I have a Ko-Fi! :)
Re: What makes you read a character's biography?
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2015, 11:39:41 AM »
Personally, I like using my bios as a tool to help me keep track of character development and story arc. I write Carina's journals in Latin because 1) (like someone previously correctly deduced) I made her to practice my classical Latin and 2) it makes IC sense. I'm debating whether to make English translations available because - as other people have mentioned - it can affect in game interactions. (Especially since language barrier is actually a core part of her character.)

I try to keep a lot of things ambiguous in order to limit other people's metagaming, not because I don't trust other players but rather because I know it can be really easy to subconsciously incorporate OOC knowledge into IC settings. That's just my onion, though.

also posting things on mobile is a pain and def do not recommend
"Ita regem obtruncat."
Livy. Ab Urbe Condita. Book 1, Chapter 5. 27 BC.

booksarefun666

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2015, 11:42:10 AM »
Yeah, YEAH. Where's Teddy in your bio, SASHA? HUH?  :lol: I am disappoint.

I'll get around to that part eventually.

I just need Kender's blood, a Goblin's sickly liver, an unopened box of a game from the 90s, and an essence of bat.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 11:45:11 AM by PmYourTarrasques »

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2015, 12:16:26 PM »
I gonna throw a bone and post this

"Search Results

biography
    /bʌɪˈɒɡrəfi/
    noun
    noun: biography; plural noun: biographies
        an account of someone's life written by someone else."

Let someone else write the biography for your character. Maybe especially a dead one! That be an interesting concept to see and I would read that.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2015, 12:20:33 PM »
Someone could still do that and publish the books icly if key known figures. There should be quite a few who are quite universally known icly.

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2015, 12:24:39 PM »

"Search Results

biography
    /bʌɪˈɒɡrəfi/
    noun

Let someone else write the biography for your character. Maybe especially a dead one! That be an interesting concept to see and I would read that.

This is the best idea you've ever posted. I need to write a biography for all of Legion's dead characters.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2015, 12:30:25 PM »

"Search Results

biography
    /bʌɪˈɒɡrəfi/
    noun

This is the best idea you've ever posted. I need to write a biography for all of Legion's dead characters.

From your point of view "Even a broken clock is  right twice a day", right?

From mine, I know im not irritatingly angry all the time.

And well damn, we agreed upon something.

Someone should do this.

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2015, 12:37:48 PM »
I read your (auto)biographies because of curiosity. As PmYourTarrasques sort of implies, I'm more likely to be curious if it's a character I recognize or have interacted with--although not only because you might say something about my character. It's more like, "you've seen the movie...now read the book."

That's the hook, anyway. But what will keep me reading is how rewarding the writing is versus the effort. Merry Munchkin takes a stand for brevity, and in most cases, the less challenge to the reader the better (which is basically another form of the formatting argument). Nevertheless, I'll read something long and florid if it's engaging.

Not Finnegan's Wake, though  :D

To step around from the monitor to the keyboard, I write for practice and because I enjoy it. Of course I hope to do it well and that readers will like it, but one reason to do it here anonymously is to feel less pressure to make it perfect. Most of the normal writing I do is about real-life subjects, meaning the *rules* are much more stringent than fiddling around with fantasy characters in a fantasy setting. On the other hand, the game environment means when working on things like sentence structure and diction, I don't have to simultaneously be worried about plot, characters, and setting. Those I can pull from what already happened in game.

The mixture lends itself to trying different voices and writing styles in particular. That's what's useful about it to me.

Oh lord. The stories would likely be more fun to read, though.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2015, 12:46:37 PM »
you know I kinda poked at Budly about this.. But Biographies are generally about a person's life.. Normal while someone is dying.. or near death. so technically what we are writing is Journals. which is current events and things happening

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

TheGrinningHound

• Dark Lord
  • That's Mr. TheGrinningHound to you
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2015, 12:50:40 PM »
That's actually a recall neat idea: writing biographies of other characters that is.

I'd still probably write my own character stories when I want to write in a kind of storytelling prose, but it could be neat to retell the lives of others. A cool character concept, for sure.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2015, 01:13:39 PM »
you know I kinda poked at Budly about this.. But Biographies are generally about a person's life.. Normal while someone is dying.. or near death. so technically what we are writing is Journals. which is current events and things happening

This is why I suggested to EO in another thread to rename that forum section or make a bunch of sub rooms under a main one. "biographies and journals"

And I bet they would be hillarious to read! Kronos :)

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2015, 01:27:06 PM »

This is why I suggested to EO in another thread to rename that forum section or make a bunch of sub rooms under a main one. "biographies and journals"

:P Now I wanna make a Bio.. with a living character.. but start with them dying. in the journal and work on the events that lead TO the death. heheheh wonder how that would go.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2015, 02:09:19 PM »
I do what I want
Don't tell me how to live my life!

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2015, 02:16:05 PM »

:P Now I wanna make a Bio.. with a living character.. but start with them dying. in the journal and work on the events that lead TO the death. heheheh wonder how that would go.

That's...a twist :P hard to do but probably doable!  :)

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2015, 02:34:52 PM »
Well, glad to hear my efforts have gone and inspired such unusual criticism.  I did not realise it was so bad it warranted such an outpouring of judgement.  Good to know to restrain myself in the future, seeing as the general consensus and only word I've had is that I did it wrong. 

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2015, 02:39:14 PM »
No one is said you did anything wrong man. People just voice their opinions and things get out of hand... off topic... It always happens. don't take anything said on the forums to heart.

booksarefun666

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2015, 02:50:04 PM »
Next time I roll a bard I might offer to write somebody's biography if he leads a dangerous life that very well might end tragically.

TheGrinningHound

• Dark Lord
  • That's Mr. TheGrinningHound to you
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2015, 03:06:08 PM »
No one's said you've done it wrong, Nem. You've written your journal differently, and for some people it may be harder to read-- but you also might enjoy it more yourself as it is. Which is all that it takes to justify keeping it as it is, and all the weight any feedback had in the first place. The conversation that followed the first post in no way carried a judgmental tone -- certainly not toward you as a writer or player. The topic went from Creative License to James Joyce Analysis, to individual reasons why people read journals, to ideas about the nature of biographies and cool new ways people might write them.

No one's attacking you, mate.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2015, 03:31:30 PM »
Your direct and immediately timely criticism is duly noted.  Thanks.

You are not alone in centering the text to be honest. I myself, personally find the bios who is extremely into this hard to read. From what i see of yours it is not that bad. Do not take this thread personal at all mister or misses.

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2015, 03:53:57 PM »
You are not alone in centering the text to be honest. I myself, personally find the bios who is extremely into this hard to read. From what i see of yours it is not that bad. Do not take this thread personal at all mister or misses.

+1

I have many times wanted to mention that centered text is hard to read and have simply refrained from doing so in the past..
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2015, 05:18:07 PM »
right now I want to answer the question that is the title of this here thread

Nothing makes me read any of your memoirs. I do what I want. That being said, when I decide I want to read over your memoirs it's because three things have happened

1) You're character has intrigued me ig

2) Your thread pops up on the "undread posts since last visit" page frequently

At this point, after seeing your thread pop up here and there for a while, I might decide I want to click it, leading us to...

3) If your bio has no paragraph breaks I won't read it. I can deal with poor punctuation and run on sentences and all that, but if there's not a paragraph break I will close your evil memoir and never consider opening it again. It just irks me, I can't do it. I'm getting mad just thinking about it.

On a side note, centered text has never bothered me and I kinda like it more than left aligned depending on what's going on with it.

Also, FinalHeaven, I do what I want.
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2015, 05:25:11 PM »
For the record, Nem, it was more of a pain to read for me as being centered and not left to right as near most everyone is accustomed to reading. Sometimes simplicity out does different and eye catching. Being distracted by the spacing and size of the text rather than being able to just flow along with the content is a problem. Not to say my eyes didn't accustom to it eventually, and read a good chunk-- it's just an unnecessary adjustment which can put someone off given enough time. The same thing with colored text in my opinion. There are some people that just cannot deal with certain colors, especially if it clashes with the theme of the forum, making it near impossible to read (which I end up highlighting the text).

To avoid going off topic slightly, what makes a biography or journal readable for me is just that. Readability. I don't care much for flashiness, just organized storytelling.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:32:17 PM by Sword »
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2015, 05:32:11 PM »
I'm going to have to try some clickbait-y journal entries.

"Cantrips to 9th circle spells in one easy step!"
"10 things Edwin does to make bank -- number 7 will surprise you!"

: )

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2015, 05:32:45 PM »
Answering the topic:

I generally try to give all biographies a quick read, if I've met the PC, and I don't feel like terribly much will be spoiled.
Formatting is a non-issue to me, it'll always be the content that keeps me reading.
I honestly have no preference how text is displayed.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2015, 05:35:10 PM »
I'm going to have to try some clickbait-y journal entries.

"Cantrips to 9th circle spells in one easy step!"
"10 things Edwin does to make bank -- number 7 will surprise you!"

I feel like this should be it's own topic, but click bait-y posts for any character or npc-hell even players and dm's  :lol:
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

booksarefun666

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2015, 07:11:11 PM »
Answering the topic:

I generally try to give all biographies a quick read, if I've met the PC, and I don't feel like terribly much will be spoiled.
Formatting is a non-issue to me, it'll always be the content that keeps me reading.
I honestly have no preference how text is displayed.

That's bothering me so much, Qwerty

I can't believe you'd make light of this situation.

Your callousness knows no bounds.

Also I'm all for more clickbait biographies.