You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Wizard not starting with new cantrips  (Read 4436 times)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Wizard not starting with new cantrips
« on: October 27, 2015, 01:50:46 PM »
The new cantrips don't seem available to my Wizard.

“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Re: Wizard not starting with new cantrips
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 01:51:30 PM »
Did you select them as you were leveling?

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 01:52:51 PM »
My wizard started with 2 rogue levels, when I took his first wizard level he obtained all of the new cantrips. The issue is if you start as a wizard from level 1.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 02:49:03 PM »
That's a similar issue to clerics not being able to select new domains during character creation. At least in this case it's an incredibly minor issue, since you can still learn them later.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 03:01:31 PM »
Is it possible to add the cantrip scrolls to the merchant in the new character area for 1 coin to repersent these spells

Indigocell

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 04:36:27 PM »
Yes, I noticed this as well. I am able to learn 2 cantrips at lvl 2 if I want, but that would mean neglecting to learn new lvl 1 custom spells.

Indigocell

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 04:38:15 PM »
Is it possible to add the cantrip scrolls to the merchant in the new character area for 1 coin to repersent these spells

It needs to be in the OOC area if we want current characters to be fixed, no? New characters shouldn't have this problem.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 05:34:42 PM »
That's a similar issue to clerics not being able to select new domains during character creation. At least in this case it's an incredibly minor issue, since you can still learn them later.

Yes, but as pointed out unless you learn them from scrolls, it burns up your "new spell" opportunity at level up. I know that if I make a new caster today, I would not be taking my cantrip slots on the default originals, but would try out the new cantrips instead.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 05:39:17 PM »

I personally think this isn't a good idea, first it gives you one more starting spell than you you should have, second someone could just buy a lot of them and sell them for more once in game...

To many place for abuse I think
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Claymora

• Outlander
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 06:07:10 PM »
Someone could make the stsrting area scrolls custom with perhaps the CEP item value decrease on them iff possible. Or simply add them at some stage in the choose your background conversation. I realise that this will not fix current wizards but will be a good fix for the future

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
Those will be available in game anyway, I'm sure every wizard out there will have a chance to get one
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 07:01:11 PM »
Those will be available in game anyway, I'm sure every wizard out there will have a chance to get one

Or, in the spirit of Halloween, PoTM could give out a pair of scrolls to each wizard class currently active as a one-shot deal, so they can add them to their spellbooks.  A couple of pieces of cantrip candy for everyone wouldn't make me fat, would it?  :)

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Indigocell

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 08:02:11 PM »

I personally think this isn't a good idea, first it gives you one more starting spell than you you should have, second someone could just buy a lot of them and sell them for more once in game...

To many place for abuse I think

This doesn't give wizards any extra spells does it? I thought wizards were supposed to begin the game knowing all cantrips.

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 08:31:14 PM »
You can probably convince a DM to provide you with the cantrip scrolls if you are a wizard.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 08:50:45 PM »
Apparently the new spell scrolls aren't yet in the loot tables or vendors yet, so....
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 08:53:11 PM »
You can probably convince a DM to provide you with the cantrip scrolls if you are a wizard.

I suppose a certain DM Nocturne would be a DM who can be convinced..... lol  :mrgreen:

I think convincing a DM to do that is the best way to get one along with finding one IG.

Giving scroll out because it's Halloween or because there is a NCE isn't a good reason. This is a RP place... giving out stuff to every single player for a special occasion feel like we are in some big business MMORPG who give out special item to promoted their game.

If a DM to chose to give out a scroll to someone, well it's a DM, he/she must have a reason to do it.

This server isn't made for lazy people, RP'ing isn't made for easy people, I say go out there and find yourself a scroll. You might buy it from a merchant find it on an expedition, get someone to give it to you.
I highly prefer getting my stuff in legit RP way IG rather then having something because it's a special OOC occasion and everyone gets one.

Edit because someone posted while I was writing :

Well if they aren't in the loot table yet, I suppose you can always convince a DM to give you one or maybe you'll get one of the new scroll through DM event and stuff like that, but even though we can't loot them yet, I personally prefer if we get scroll in a legit way IG
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 09:04:20 PM »
The scrolls aren't IG yet, sorry. I already checked for another player.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 11:32:55 PM »

I suppose a certain DM Nocturne would be a DM who can be convinced..... lol  :mrgreen:

I think convincing a DM to do that is the best way to get one along with finding one IG.

Giving scroll out because it's Halloween or because there is a NCE isn't a good reason. This is a RP place... giving out stuff to every single player for a special occasion feel like we are in some big business MMORPG who give out special item to promoted their game.

If a DM to chose to give out a scroll to someone, well it's a DM, he/she must have a reason to do it.

This server isn't made for lazy people, RP'ing isn't made for easy people, I say go out there and find yourself a scroll. You might buy it from a merchant find it on an expedition, get someone to give it to you.
I highly prefer getting my stuff in legit RP way IG rather then having something because it's a special OOC occasion and everyone gets one.

Edit because someone posted while I was writing :

Well if they aren't in the loot table yet, I suppose you can always convince a DM to give you one or maybe you'll get one of the new scroll through DM event and stuff like that, but even though we can't loot them yet, I personally prefer if we get scroll in a legit way IG

This isn't about being lazy -- this is about "wizards begin the game knowing all cantrips".  All.  As is "all".  As in "not a few".  Right now, a brand new wizzy getting rolled up would supposedly know all cantrips, or at the very least has the luxury of actually CHOSING their cantrips from the FULL list available.  The wizzy that was created prior to the hak update does not get that basic option. 

Waiting for them to fall as loot drops doesn't help a high level (how many of them are going to loot a low level dungeon just to fill out their book of cantrips).  If these will be available at a merchant, then fine, I'll buy them.  If not, then it seems that every pre-existing wizard got gipped for no particular reason.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 11:47:07 PM »
I feel like this is being blown out of proportion. These are just fun cantrips, and even if for some reason a way is never resolved to provide them all at level 1, the wizard will find them eventually, and they aren't going to be expensive to buy. It's not somehow a nerf to wizards just because they may not be able to cast Open/Close when they first enter the world. If wizards could never learn them, I'd understand why that's a big deal.

I'm sure DMs will accommodate those who ask, as soon as the scrolls appear in game later this week.

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 04:03:32 AM »
Yeah, sorry folks. I was told I could access these new scrolls but didn't check at the time to confirm. Soon, I imagine.

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 08:38:06 PM »
DMs can now spawn scrolls. The 4 new cantrips are detect poison, open/close, amanuensis, and disrupt undead. If you do not have these spells, you can ask a DM to spawn scrolls of them for you.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 07:08:26 PM »
I just tested something, and found a way to start will every cantrip as wizard.

I extracted the spell.2da file from the new hak and simply dropped in my override folder and I that way my test wizard started with all cantrip.

Though I recommend removing this file from your override if you play on other server. I haven't tested keeping this file in my override and going to other server, but I'm pretty sure it can be problematic if you do!

So if you want to start with all cantrip as a wizard extract that spell.2da from the new hak and drop it in your override folder
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2015, 08:39:34 PM »
Yeah, that'll work but as Iluvatar mentioned, make sure to remove it from your overrides folder if you play on another server.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2015, 01:13:24 AM »
I just tested something, and found a way to start will every cantrip as wizard.

I extracted the spell.2da file from the new hak and simply dropped in my override folder and I that way my test wizard started with all cantrip.

Though I recommend removing this file from your override if you play on other server. I haven't tested keeping this file in my override and going to other server, but I'm pretty sure it can be problematic if you do!

So if you want to start with all cantrip as a wizard extract that spell.2da from the new hak and drop it in your override folder

Did you make a copy of the file and drop it into override, or move it from the hak folder to the override folder?

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2015, 01:25:51 AM »
I used a special tool to extract the spell.2da file from the hak itself... it's something called nwnexplore

Here I'll just give you a download link for the spell.2da file, just drop that in your override folder, but remove it if you go on an other server or you might have problem

Download
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness