Author Topic: The head slot!  (Read 4280 times)

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
The head slot!
« on: September 26, 2015, 02:19:49 PM »
Is there any way we can have hoods/helms/etc not appear while equipped, like how cloaks have an option to not appear? The main reason I can think of for this would be for people who want to use the 'hat' cloaks and not have a hood/helmet/etc on as well.
: )

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: The head slot!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 02:23:20 PM »
I don't think that's possible due to the way helmets work in NwN. They replace the head slot when they're on, instead of being a layer over the head.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 06:05:40 PM »
can you just add the head options to the helm options? the player could pick their head and dye it the right colors. Not like there aren't already some heads on there
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 10:56:57 AM »
can you just add the head options to the helm options? the player could pick their head and dye it the right colors. Not like there aren't already some heads on there

That wouldn't be practical because you'd have to add male and female versions for every race; you'd end up with around a thousand helmet models.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 02:51:14 PM »

That wouldn't be practical because you'd have to add male and female versions for every race; you'd end up with around a thousand helmet models.

I see your point, but would this necessarily be a resource drain?  (and I will take your word for it if it is, I know nothing about building modules).  The reason I ask is that, technically, all the heads are already part of the game template.  I am not sure you would have to "make" anything new, right?  As far as having to rummage through thousands of helmet options in a crafting menu, I realize that this is a legitimate concern, but would it be possible to break it all down by submenu?  In other words, when you want to craft a helmet, you could be given the option to have a different style of helm, or an invisible helm (i.e. a replacement racial head).  If you selected "invisible helm", you could be taken to a submenu that let's you pick your race (or perhaps that should be picked for you automatically to match your current race), as well as your sex (again, possibly have that picked automatically to match your current sex), and so you only have to sort through a more limited selection of heads and hair colors?

I am asking out of ignorance, so if this is not technically possible just let me know, and I'll drop the matter.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 03:01:03 PM »
pretty good idea, if it would work. I also have no idea  :lol:

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 03:44:35 PM »

I see your point, but would this necessarily be a resource drain?  (and I will take your word for it if it is, I know nothing about building modules).  The reason I ask is that, technically, all the heads are already part of the game template.  I am not sure you would have to "make" anything new, right?  As far as having to rummage through thousands of helmet options in a crafting menu, I realize that this is a legitimate concern, but would it be possible to break it all down by submenu?  In other words, when you want to craft a helmet, you could be given the option to have a different style of helm, or an invisible helm (i.e. a replacement racial head).  If you selected "invisible helm", you could be taken to a submenu that let's you pick your race (or perhaps that should be picked for you automatically to match your current race), as well as your sex (again, possibly have that picked automatically to match your current sex), and so you only have to sort through a more limited selection of heads and hair colors?

I am asking out of ignorance, so if this is not technically possible just let me know, and I'll drop the matter.
Yes, it would be a resource drain. The amount of custom content resources that can be added is quite large, but it is not infinite. At a certain point, too many resources will cause the game to fail on load, even if they're in a hak. The space taken up by all of these head-models-as-helmets would keep us from adding other, more useful content.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Geiger

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 03:50:05 PM »
...and I would say, I mean, lol, wearing a helmet means you're wearing a helmet!

IllusoryWitch

• Outlander
  • Check your privilege at the door.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 03:59:12 PM »
What I've been trying to find out is how Sinfar (so I'm told, I've never actually logged on) has this...thing where you can wear circlets or glasses and actually position them on an existing head and have -that- take up a headslot.
Can someone that's played there confirm if this is a real thing or just a rumor? I'd rather not fill my hak folder with haks I'll never use (not to mention deal with all of the genetalia related nonsense)
If it -is- a thing, does anyone know how that works?

Mentfrost

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 08:30:17 PM »
What I've been trying to find out is how Sinfar (so I'm told, I've never actually logged on) has this...thing where you can wear circlets or glasses and actually position them on an existing head and have -that- take up a headslot.
Can someone that's played there confirm if this is a real thing or just a rumor? I'd rather not fill my hak folder with haks I'll never use (not to mention deal with all of the genetalia related nonsense)
It doesn't take up the head slot. You can just put glasses, circlets, piercings and even genitalia on your face and adjust them to fit. You can also adjust individual body parts, adjust the size of your entire character without actually changing the model and wear cloth torso pieces on full plate and vice versa.
I don't know how those dark sorcerers do it, but it involves NWNCX
Login/IRC name: Mentfrost
Yuki Kimura
Mainane Smith

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 08:31:41 PM »
I don't understand how or why you can't tell the engine "even though there's something in your head slot, there's nothing on you". It seems to work alright for the cloaks. O_o;
: )

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 09:33:02 PM »
This has been talked about in the past, I think the answer was that the helm actually replaces your head when it's on, so making it "invisible" or what have you just means you don't have a head. Of course they might be a work around I dunno, that's just what I remember being told once upon a time

IllusoryWitch

• Outlander
  • Check your privilege at the door.
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 09:49:11 PM »
It doesn't take up the head slot. You can just put glasses, circlets, piercings and even genitalia on your face and adjust them to fit.

:|

Greatest talent still in the community and they use it to devise new ways to staple penises to faces.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 10:54:57 PM »
When you see horns, crowns, or other such things on someone's head (that are not cloak-hats), it's not an item worn in a slot, it's a visual effect with a model that looks solid and is positioned to appear to be on the character's head. There has to be one visual effect per race, too, because the head position is different for Humans, Elves, Halflings, Gnomes, and Half-Orcs, but that is how that stuff works.

Theoretically you can stick effects that have models anywhere on any character's body, provided you've created the visual effects for it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 10:59:47 PM by Bad_Bud »

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 06:07:23 AM »
I don't see much motivation to make helmets invisible. Seems cheesy at the least. The cloaks are optional because they tend to be quite buggy at times since their visualization was an afterthought to the engine.