You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Portable Woodworkers Table  (Read 2961 times)

THE STREET WARRIOR

• New to the Mists
Portable Woodworkers Table
« on: September 10, 2015, 01:01:01 AM »
I think we should be able to craft woodworker's table's using the portable carpentry kit. It would alleviate a lot of the travel time running between multiple stations. Also make the life of a craft's person much, much more streamlined.

THE STREET WARRIOR

• New to the Mists
Re: Portable Woodworkers Table
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 06:04:34 PM »
I'm bumping this, it needs to be a thing.

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 02:46:01 AM »
I disagree. The only reason you can make a sawhorse with the kit is because you need planks to build other pieces of furniture, I would imagine.

Crafting convenience is the purpose of this item-- its use, seems to me, focused rather around RP.

Claymora

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 04:36:43 AM »
Personally I always felt it was intentional that there is a reasonable distance between resources and crafting stations. With some being closer than others but having drawbacks (ie, dvergerheim mines, but it shakes, oh it shakes!)

THE STREET WARRIOR

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 12:55:40 PM »
So, you can build chests, tables, benches, chairs, but not a table to make shit on? How the f is that rp? Why wouldn't we want crafting to be more convenient? Especially since one of the most sought after items is arrows. You have to run to four different spots to make them. You can't craft them in batches for some reason, there's one spot that sells arrow shafts. Let me get this straight, only 5-6 people know how to make these tables. I agree that crafting should be some what inconvenient but making arrows is a tedious joke.

Snipehunt

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 12:59:54 PM »
I'd be okay with the idea, but only if the table was locked out of higher end/more 'complicated' items. A portable table to make simple stuff could go a long way, but not mess with the potential RP that could be involved with the difficulty of bigger gear.

But then again, I'm all for anything to make early crafting more accessible.
Kashia Rydralle
Eliza Vhiski
Isendur Gallyan

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 09:01:51 PM »
Please don't twist my words.

Being able to set up tables, chairs, chests, etc., enhances RP. This seem to me what the kit is meant for.

I don't mind the work involved in crafting alchemical arrows. For some reason, though, I despise picking herbs and am too cheap to buy them, so I simply don't do herbalism with any of my characters. There's always other people who will do herbalism, just like there's always other people who will make arrows, if you find the process so tedious.

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 09:50:38 PM »
Just throwing my two cents in for realisms sake... I'm a woodworker in real life, and I use a lot of traditional techniques that have been used for centuries. The traditional woodworkers table, which has changed little since the 1600s, is not a portable piece of carpentry. It's a solidly built table, with large mortised joints, integrated wood vices, and holdfast holes, and heavy lumber that can resist the impacts and abuse that is generated by sawing, clamping and planing down wood. These aren't the light tables that are generically displayed by the game. Such a light table like that would be ripped apart by typical woodworking. I know the same model is used inside workshops in the game, but at least in my imagination, I picture those as being actual worktables/benches.

If realism if a goal that is wanted for crafting (to a degree, I know it's a game and we don't want to make everything exact), a woodworkers table should be a stationary table in a workshop. They generally weigh over a hundred pounds and more. It's not something that you should be throwing together in a field quickly, and then tearing down again and putting in your pack. It's be almost impossible for one person to move them by themselves fully constructed. These tables generally sat in their workshops all their lives, unless the woodworker moved.

Bearing that in mind, I think the current set up is a practical facsimile of real woodworking, with the needed simplifications that are needed for the server.
Sawhorses, are a completely different matter, and have existed for centuries as well. They are always for lighter work in the field, and are only used for heavy work out of absolute necessity. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 09:56:51 PM by Dumas »

THE STREET WARRIOR

• New to the Mists
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 10:51:12 PM »
Crafting arrows is tedious because the process is broken. You can't craft in batches, you have to remove each and every arrowhead or bolt head that you make from the anvils.
It takes too much time, it's padding in the worst way, if it's meant to be like this. I get it if the dev's don't have time, it takes work. Doesn't mean there isn't an issue with crafting arrows and bolts.

This would also help high ocr or other wood's people types that don't want to be forced into crafting halls. You can already produce your own arrow shafts out in the field, why not allow us to complete the process? I think it would enchance RP for artisans.

Dumas, thanks for the input on the tables. But at the same time, there are so many different types of tables. You wouldn't need a massive, heavy table to make bows, arrows, shields and armor. You can make these items in a small work space/table with basic tools and clamps.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 08:11:35 AM »
Having helped many crafters gather material. Arrows really are not that hard to do. The only part that makes them tedious is when people want alchemical. no one says you have to ...Rush off right away once people want arrows. you eventually figure out a cycle. and can make them in a reasonable time and still have time to do your own stuff.

And people with high OCR shouldn't have it "easy" specially in places where it is high. There are many work benches out there some where. and most high OCR can still use the elf village for arrow making. The fact there is really only 1 place for iron.... well there is 2... but you have to have a REALLY lucky spawn of ore.  does make it tedious yes but [shrugs]

and still, your average table weighs what? around 40+ pounds? and that is being generous. As Dumas said. woodworking benches are not light. and require a lot of wood and probably some metal on the side as well. Allowing the ability to craft woodworking benches Would make crafting even more easier and that might not be something people want when it is already not that hard.....a bit time consuming yes, but until you start doing leather working can hardly complain.... while you don't have to work as hard since you just kill for the hides. you have to work INSANELY hard to cure them and it takes a lifetime and a half to get to where you can use the higher level hides to make it go just a little bit faster.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 01:18:44 PM »
Crafting arrows is tedious because the process is broken. You can't craft in batches, you have to remove each and every arrowhead or bolt head that you make from the anvils.
It takes too much time, it's padding in the worst way, if it's meant to be like this. I get it if the dev's don't have time, it takes work. Doesn't mean there isn't an issue with crafting arrows and bolts.

This would also help high ocr or other wood's people types that don't want to be forced into crafting halls. You can already produce your own arrow shafts out in the field, why not allow us to complete the process? I think it would enchance RP for artisans.

Dumas, thanks for the input on the tables. But at the same time, there are so many different types of tables. You wouldn't need a massive, heavy table to make bows, arrows, shields and armor. You can make these items in a small work space/table with basic tools and clamps.

I like to think when crafting arrowheads that the reason you must remove them is due to the fact that it results 99 arrows. But I do completely agree, it does make it more tedious .
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

THE STREET WARRIOR

• New to the Mists
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 11:43:58 PM »
I'm digging this out of the grave, I think the dev's should re-think about adding portable woodworking tables. Even if it's only for making ammunition.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 08:26:49 AM »
There are still no plans to introduce portable crafting stations beyond the sawhorse, which is used to make mundane placeables.