You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Uses for Shadowood and crafting suggestions.  (Read 3566 times)

zodiacspear

• Undead Slayer
  • The Segata Sanshiro of Ravenloft
Uses for Shadowood and crafting suggestions.
« on: August 24, 2015, 09:16:05 PM »
After talking with a few others about crafting and materials, I came to learn that Shadowood is very limited in its use generally on server.  At best, it's used for making bows, and even then, it is not used often.  So I got to thinking of possible ways that Shadowood could be used by players.  Perhaps it can be used for crafting of shields and weapons.  For shields, due to the properties of the wood itself, I think a minor protection against negative energies would be suitable.  I am thinking a +1 vs Negative energy saves.  For weapons (when made into hilts) gives a +1 or 2 negative energy damage bonus.  Wooden weapons crafted directly from shadowood might have better bonuses, but that is not really necessary.  By wooden weapons I mean quarterstaves and clubs.

As it is, there really is very little that Shadowood is useful for, so maybe adding some crafting options to it would make it more useful to collect.

Another suggestion I had would be the implementation of craftable throwing weapons (axes, darts, etc.) It seems a rather simple thing for these to be added to the crafting system as is.
Zodiacspear (aka Timgood)
Current active character(s): Garbhan Ross (Forfarian Warrior), Erutáron Xillen (Sithican Rebel) Vulg Graynoor (Lost Aasimar)

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
Re: Uses for Shadowood and crafting suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 10:31:34 PM »
Add in the option to make Shadow wood arrow shafts for some minor tweak to the damage output of arrows. 

Also could be useful for some alternative forms of wooden splint mail for druids, perhaps used like chitin to replace the metal components.

Sage - When stories come to life

Loki's Cat

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 03:46:14 AM »
Aren't the shadow-wood trees so tough you only ever knock splinters from them? I cant see them replacing chitin completely, you would never have enough. Closest thing you'd get is to be able to use them as nails... and armor doesn't generally use nails.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 08:55:22 AM »
Add in the option to make Shadow wood arrow shafts for some minor tweak to the damage output of arrows. 

Also could be useful for some alternative forms of wooden splint mail for druids, perhaps used like chitin to replace the metal components.

The druid part I don't know.... heh... I've of the SullenWoods to be like... a scar in nature, with the shadows and all that are in there. Like, Mirkwood in Middle earth. but then again I don't know much lore to Ravenloft and learning more and more almost each day. Like.. I didn't know there were Werepanthers in Mordent untill recently.. [shudders]

As for other uses of SHadowwood.. probably best we actually post the weapons and shields IN wishlist.. or item request... The crafting system is also still incomplete so we have to remember that. however I do not see shadowwood providing extra damage since no other crafting item other then steel does that... But then again Shadowwood can be rare to find. [shrugs]

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Dark Dreams

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 03:42:07 PM »
At best, it's used for making bows...

Not even this... shadow wood is entirely useless.

... best idea ever for Shadow Wood!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 03:44:38 PM by Dark Dreams »

Loki's Cat

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 06:23:04 AM »

shadow-wood bows have +1 lawful. And that can be useful to lowbies. Certain squeaky things are lawfully aligned iirc

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 06:24:01 AM »

shadow-wood bows have +1 lawful. And that can be useful to lowbies. Certain squeaky things are lawfully aligned iirc
Pretty sure it gives +2 mighty as well?

Loki's Cat

• New to the Mists
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 06:27:58 AM »
yes but I figured that went without saying since all the crafted bows have some amount of mighty depending on ingredients, also I couldn't remember how much mighty came from just the shadow-wood :) .

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 06:34:23 AM »
Ah, yeah, I was just checking, I wasn't sure myself  :P

Dark Dreams

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 03:46:39 PM »
I guess I'm just crafting wrong then... it seems that no matter what I do, I get the feedback message of "improper or lacking ingredients" when I try to do anything with shadow wood. I still think the shadow wood arrowshafts are the best idea ever though.  :)

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 11:46:43 PM »
I guess I'm just crafting wrong then... it seems that no matter what I do, I get the feedback message of "improper or lacking ingredients" when I try to do anything with shadow wood. I still think the shadow wood arrowshafts are the best idea ever though.  :)

When I started crafting arrows, I was so excited to see if shadow wood would have an effect, and was sadden to learn it doesn't. Would be neat if they did something, like even 1 point extra damage from the toughness of the shadow wood shard/s used to make the arrow shaft
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan