You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Cleric Much?  (Read 3636 times)

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
Cleric Much?
« on: August 11, 2015, 02:40:54 PM »
Hey-ho.

Right, so the meat of it: Do I have to have a 19 wisdom to cast level 9 spells as a Cleric? Can I have a low or moderate wisdom Cleric and be able to cast all his spells at high levels (just fewer of them)? Ideally, i'd like to make a low wisdom cleric (for my own insidious purposes) and while the number of spells isn't important, I'd really very much so like to have all his spell levels end game. Is this possible, or do I need to sink points into his wisdom to do it?
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

DM Brimstone

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
Re: Cleric Much?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 02:47:33 PM »
In order to cast divine spells, a cleric needs to have a wisdom of 10 + spell level. So by level 17 your cleric would need to have a wisdom of 19 to cast 9th level spells. Since you get attribute raises at levels 4, 8, 12, 16 and 20, you would need to have a starting wisdom of a minimum of 15 in order to cast 9th level spells by level 17. That is only if  you sink all your attribute raises into wisdom. I hope that helps.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 02:53:30 PM »
yeah, it does. Bleh.... thanks man!
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 05:33:21 PM »
Also hurray another cleric, they are so rare now.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 08:35:41 AM »
hey I have 2 clerics lol...and there are many other clerics, just most make battle clerics lol and not.. normal clerics

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

tomwell1

• New to the Mists
  • Hero of Mordent
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 12:25:40 PM »
Can't you get Owls wisdom to be able to cast higher level spells?
Rayne Mirna - Silver Warden Tempuran

You know, look, you're a ghost, you're a vampire, you're french, figure it out, pick one.

DM Brimstone

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 12:34:24 PM »
Can't you get Owls wisdom to be able to cast higher level spells?

Owls wisdom will raise your wisdom and allow you to cast higher levels spells. However since a cleric is not a spontaneous caster (ie has to prepare his spells before resting) and active spell effects are cancelled during rest, you will lose the spells you prepared  of higher levels after resting. So even if you cast owls wisdom again after the rest, you would not have any spells prepared that were lost during resting and the cancellation of owls wisdom.

LordRottenCorpse

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 12:35:36 PM »
Will it work on spontaneous  caster ?
Jeune Bérurier!

DM Brimstone

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 12:54:26 PM »

I haven't tried it personally but yes, in theory, it should work for spontaneous casters. I'm not sure how it works during level up when you select your spells (at least in the case of sorcerers). You may have to cast the attribute buff before leveling up in order to be able to select the higher level spell. Also this may be considered an exploit and could be frowned upon by the DM staff. I would suggest consulting the powers-that-be here on the server before doing this to make sure it is legal.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 01:27:32 PM »

I haven't tried it personally but yes, in theory, it should work for spontaneous casters. I'm not sure how it works during level up when you select your spells (at least in the case of sorcerers). You may have to cast the attribute buff before leveling up in order to be able to select the higher level spell. Also this may be considered an exploit and could be frowned upon by the DM staff. I would suggest consulting the powers-that-be here on the server before doing this to make sure it is legal.

0.o If that doesn't sound awesome and broken I don't know what does lol

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 01:32:46 PM »
Don't you need the atribute to be at the apropiate height to get the spellslots 'refilled' during resting?

Building out off the mists

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 04:10:34 PM »

The wiki explanation indicates that it is the unmodified charisma score that determines maximum spell level, so a bard or sorcerer cannot get new LEVELS of spells by buffing up, but you can get bonus spell slots for levels you already are able to cast:

The highest spell level that these classes can learn or cast is the caster's base (unmodified) charisma score minus ten, while bonus spells are given to these classes based on the caster's current (modified) charisma modifier.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

DM Brimstone

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 06:57:41 PM »

The wiki explanation indicates that it is the unmodified charisma score that determines maximum spell level, so a bard or sorcerer cannot get new LEVELS of spells by buffing up, but you can get bonus spell slots for levels you already are able to cast:

The highest spell level that these classes can learn or cast is the caster's base (unmodified) charisma score minus ten, while bonus spells are given to these classes based on the caster's current (modified) charisma modifier.

Thanks for the correction! There you go.