You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Ravenloft Character Builder Module  (Read 10784 times)

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
Ravenloft Character Builder Module
« on: August 03, 2015, 07:20:43 AM »
Hi people:

As i promised  yesterday. I have made a character builder for Ravenloft (with all secrets and mist,and more mist, bla bla bla bla, more mist).
You have only to put this in your folder called "modules". Here is the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7pdhc4jywd4vzpw/Ravenloft_CB.mod

We have to give thanks to our german freund "McNastea", without him I would still be walking on the moon counting feats of the fighter, which are ... 18 at level 40.
Welcome to mist...but now, more stronger than eva!

EDIT:
Update 12/12/15
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 07:14:32 PM by Arcibel »

Bjorn

• Outlander
Re: Ravenloft Character Builder Module
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 12:15:30 PM »
Hi people:

As i promised  yesterday. I have made a character builder for Ravenloft (with all secrets and mist,and more mist, bla bla bla bla, more mist).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/z69wl2sywdtngsc/Ravenloft_Character_Builder.mod

We have to give thanks to our german freund "McNastea", without him I would still be walking on the moon counting feats of the fighter, which are ... 18 at level 40.

The level cap in PoTM is 20.
Eomirash Kethspar

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 02:43:08 PM »
i  know, it's a joke.

People, if you don't give thanks a death Magic spell with a dc 999 will fall on a little cat.
Hello kitty it's in the hospital

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 08:15:43 AM »
Hi people:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/z69wl2sywdtngsc/Ravenloft_Character_Builder.mod

Thank BlueBomber! I copied that hak list from a post of his a long time ago-just sharing the information :)
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 09:08:02 AM »
Is this yours original work ? It identical to Pretty Good Character Build +cep 2 ... or i did something wrong here ?

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 08:50:29 PM »
Is this yours original work ? It identical to Pretty Good Character Build +cep 2 ... or i did something wrong here ?
you are right

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 09:06:39 AM »
The only thing that irked me, is the builder does not seem to recognize the parry bonuses to AC
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 10:41:54 AM »
The only thing that irked me, is the builder does not seem to recognize the parry bonuses to AC

That's because the parry bonus is triggered by a script and is not automatic based on any hak.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 04:09:15 PM »

That's because the parry bonus is triggered by a script and is not automatic based on any hak.

Well that clears that up! I did not know that
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

dark_majico

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 11:37:59 AM »
So this is a great little module but I'm assuming these monsters being spawned are just the vanilla NWN monsters that don't posses the same stats as those found in the Ravenloft module?

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 08:01:57 PM »
it's posible make this post "Post it"

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 07:43:03 PM »
(Bumping this thread in case anyone wants to use this tool while planning their character for NCE.)
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 11:11:29 PM »
Or you can go the much more funnier way of not planning your character in advance. To let in-game events shape your character, pick feats and skills based on what you learned in-game and from there grow qualities AND weaknesses (they are as importants as the perks) that will make a unique character everyone will love.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 03:37:29 AM »
MAB77: I've read at least a few people comment that NCE is the only time they're able to make "keeper" characters, and that it's possible to level very quickly during this period (claims of 7 levels in two weeks, for example). If characters are going up that fast, it seems to me the opportunity to have them take organic shape as you suggest in response to events is abridged. Players can, of course, go the route you offer whenever they create a character, but the same way folks are approaching factions etc. with careful planning, this appears a rarer opportunity to build a "concept" character in a compressed time frame.

As an aside, the requirement to write an application and be approved for many races and classes to me is a systemic indicator that the experimental approach to character creation is not altogether encouraged here. If those in authority wish players to receive the message that they desire "playful" character creation, then perhaps that process should be made to seem less like a lot of hard work that may result in denial, futility, and disappointment. :)

Be that as it may, if I do a new character for NCE, I have a very specific role I would like the character to be able play and would find it very frustrating to waste this opportunity to accomplish that because of dorking something at the very beginning.

Anyway,  Arcibel's module allows only for planning (rough at that, as it's not complete). Any characters planned with it still have to get their experience and be built the old-fashioned way in game and in response to game events. For example: "I wanted my fighter to specialize in the halberd, but when I was second level I found the world's awesomest club."

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 08:31:18 AM »
MAB77: I've read at least a few people comment that NCE is the only time they're able to make "keeper" characters,

Absolutely false. Many great characters are created all year long, you don't need an NCE for that. Easier yes, but not the only time to make a keeper as you say. What it does however is help for the emergence of new player groups. As everyone starts on the same footing and that for a time they do not have to compete with more established and powerful organizations. It might just be for a short time, but it is still enough to instill interest in those groups and give them the push that will make them successful in the future.

and that it's possible to level very quickly during this period (claims of 7 levels in two weeks, for example). If characters are going up that fast, it seems to me the opportunity to have them take organic shape as you suggest in response to events is abridged. Players can, of course, go the route you offer whenever they create a character, but the same way folks are approaching factions etc. with careful planning, this appears a rarer opportunity to build a "concept" character in a compressed time frame.

It is those player's loss to be so in a rush. I don't consider that an accomplishment, but a disservice to one character's story. A good character story with substance takes time to establish. Now of course, there is nothing wrong in itself in planning a character in advance, I just hope that you would do it for RP consideration, willingly inducing flaws in a character and not just try to be the "effective" character with the best AC and AB. But I understand and accept that others have different views than my own on the matter.

As an aside, the requirement to write an application and be approved for many races and classes to me is a systemic indicator that the experimental approach to character creation is not altogether encouraged here. If those in authority wish players to receive the message that they desire "playful" character creation, then perhaps that process should be made to seem less like a lot of hard work that may result in denial, futility, and disappointment. :)

You are in error here. The application form is especially to make sure the player understands the roleplay aspects of the classes/races he desires to portray and in there the experimental approach is a bonus, not an hindrance. Granted that for a PrC a player will have to fullfil some minimum requirements, but there is plenty of leeway for everything else. And the applications also make sure that you are not taking a race/PrC merely for mechanic advantages (which is kind of what planning in advance is for).

Be that as it may, if I do a new character for NCE, I have a very specific role I would like the character to be able play and would find it very frustrating to waste this opportunity to accomplish that because of dorking something at the very beginning.

It goes without saying that everyone will have a good idea of where he'd like to go from the very start anyway and that you will work toward those goals in game. That is perfectly fine. The mistake is to plan everything up to level 20 from the very start. THAT'S the "dorking". Sure you'll end up with one of those uber (but boring) characters that can solo everything, but it would also mean that you have no respect for the story-arc of your character. There is no point in roleplaying if you do not let your character grow based on the trials he faced.

Anyway,  Arcibel's module allows only for planning (rough at that, as it's not complete). Any characters planned with it still have to get their experience and be built the old-fashioned way in game and in response to game events. For example: "I wanted my fighter to specialize in the halberd, but when I was second level I found the world's awesomest club."

In the end, we all have our different views, mine is not better than the others. But I am a hardcore roleplayer, I prefer surprises, to just pick a direction and see where it will lead me. That makes planning character a mistake in my eyes. I share that point of view hoping to find others thinking like me, but I'm not here to impose my views. Live and let live as they say.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 08:51:49 AM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

IllusoryWitch

• Outlander
  • Check your privilege at the door.
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2015, 10:09:59 AM »

It goes without saying that everyone will have a good idea of where he'd like to go from the very start anyway and that you will work toward those goals in game. That is perfectly fine. The mistake is to plan everything up to level 20 from the very start. THAT'S the "dorking". Sure you'll end up with one of those uber (but boring) characters that can solo everything, but it would also mean that you have no respect for the story-arc of your character. There is no point in roleplaying if you do not let your character grow based on the trials he faced.

There is literally, absolutely and literally, no reason why either of these things have to be mutually exclusive.  To imply, no, outright say that because you plan out your character levels means that you have no respect for that character's story arc is vaguely insulting. In the end, you can plan and plot the character mechanically, and then something may happen in game to throw that out the window. That's fine, you still have your original plans, and now you have this new information to build around. Remember, there are also rules for building (few as they are) that people need to follow. The  multiclass level requirements, for example. To some people, building around those is difficult, and they need to be able to at least see the possibilities of what lays several steps ahead so that they can have a basic idea. If that changes, then so be it.

I don't see why we're debating the use of , or bumping of, a character creation /planning tool for new character week. People are plotting their character backgrounds , how they're going to know eachother/meet up/group together on the forums two weeks before hand rather than simply letting all that occur in game

How is this different?

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2015, 12:43:12 PM »
It's not :)

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 01:56:50 PM »
I don't see why we're debating the use of , or bumping of, a character creation /planning tool for new character week. People are plotting their character backgrounds , how they're going to know eachother/meet up/group together on the forums two weeks before hand rather than simply letting all that occur in game

How is this different?

Preparing a background and discussing ideas is not the same as deciding in advance the next 18 levels of your character. You start level 2, with determined skills of your choosing. You already have them, and are free to justify them in any way you see fit. As I said, you will have an idea of where you are intending to go at first, and it is normal that for the first few levels you will likely go according to some plan. That's fine.

My point from the start is simply: don't shackle yourself to a preordained path that makes no sense in-game. Exemple: a spellcaster passes a whole level without casting a single conjuration spell, but takes focus in conjuration nonetheless because later he'll be able to cast stronger Storms of Vengeance. That's just a mechanical choice, not character progression. At the very least, if you do wish to stick to a plan all the way roleplay it in-game. If you know that at next level you'll take a certain feat, please make an effort and find yourself someone to teach it in game.

Ultimately, I do recognize that players are free to make their characters grow the way they see fit. In the end. the way other plays changes nothing to my own characters or game style. I even concede that planning and role-playing are not mutually exclusive. I merely hope that each of your choices will reflect role-play situations and mirror your character's story.
Best Regards!
MAB

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 02:25:02 PM »
Ultimately, I do recognize that players are free to make their characters grow the way they see fit. In the end. the way other plays changes nothing to my own characters or game style. I even concede that planning and role-playing are not mutually exclusive. I merely hope that each of your choices will reflect role-play situations and mirror your character's story.

I think, for some characters, planning can drive roleplay. Consider the weaponmaster, for example. But anyway, what's important is that people may build their characters how they like, and if they do not make their leveling choices based on in-character events, that is their prerogative.

As a player, I designed all of my characters up to level twelve in advance, and rarely deviated. I never found it restricted my roleplay, or that the character's growth made any of those decisions unrealistic. Most of the feats in the game follow a logical progression, and few are so circumstance-specific that they do not make sense in any given scenario or at any given moment.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2015, 03:57:12 PM »
Was this updated for the cep haks and potms new ones too? I checked the module properties and it was still using potm 1.95 stuff..

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2015, 06:19:11 PM »
Yeah it doesn't have the new spells
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2015, 06:16:39 AM »
The new spells and feat configuration works for me, but, I was not sure what type of libraries I was adding. So i think that i need help to do a fine update again . Hence, I summon(e pu soleno sanasca) to someone of developement staff to resolve this problem,

Please, help us.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:18:59 AM by Arcibel »

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2015, 06:20:59 AM »
The new spells and feat configuration works for me, but, I was not sure what type of libraries I was adding. So i think that i need help to do a fine update again . Hence, I summon(e pu soleno sanasca) to someone of developement staff to resolve this problem,

Please, help us.

You might have just uploaded the wrong version. Basically on the toolset the issue was that the module is still using 1.95 tlk table and 1.95 2da, which is the older potm files.

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2015, 12:20:10 PM »
Corrected the hak and tlk version. Tested and verified that the new spells are in.

Download
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:23:22 PM by Dusk »