You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Question about crafted items value  (Read 6359 times)

Syl

• Dark Power
Re: Question about crafted items value
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2015, 09:18:11 AM »
I suppose i'm one of the few that have crafted and still leveled at a steady rate...

As a crafter no one tells us when or how long we have to craft... No one is forcing us to spend countless hours only crafting and not going out for a dungeoun or two.

the only items normally in a constant demand is arrows which are probably the more time consuming ones. but say you spend... 2hrs crafting. making sevral sets of armour and weapons. you don't have to run off and make a new peice of armour once you sell one. you can take orders and take your time making them unless you say " I will start come dawn." COme on folks we all know how it goes.. All work and no play makes crafters dull people.

if we got exp for crafting, great.. but i don't see it being a very large amount. and it will probably stop after a certain level, Even my Runt who smiths occasionally doesn't stay there forever.. he will make a few things and leave trying to sell them or just leave them for people and go off and do something else or help someone.

We as the crafters have control over how long we craft, have the power to control how long we spend on something no one else.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2015, 08:01:07 PM »
I suppose i'm one of the few that have crafted and still leveled at a steady rate...

As a crafter no one tells us when or how long we have to craft... No one is forcing us to spend countless hours only crafting and not going out for a dungeoun or two.

the only items normally in a constant demand is arrows which are probably the more time consuming ones. but say you spend... 2hrs crafting. making sevral sets of armour and weapons. you don't have to run off and make a new peice of armour once you sell one. you can take orders and take your time making them unless you say " I will start come dawn." COme on folks we all know how it goes.. All work and no play makes crafters dull people.

if we got exp for crafting, great.. but i don't see it being a very large amount. and it will probably stop after a certain level, Even my Runt who smiths occasionally doesn't stay there forever.. he will make a few things and leave trying to sell them or just leave them for people and go off and do something else or help someone.

We as the crafters have control over how long we craft, have the power to control how long we spend on something no one else.

Right. We do have control over how long we choose to do it. I think the point being made is that very few people choose to do it because of what a thankless hobby it is. There are always going to be a few die hard masochists willing to invest the time and energy, but beyond that it has nothing to recommend it in terms of overall player utility. Things like herbal-ism and alchemy don't quite have this problem because most players can see an immediate benefit from investing it it. But for crafting things like leather armors or steel plate your talking about a bare minimum of a years full time investment in doing nothing BUT crafting for hours on end.

Lets not even get into the flip side of the equation where a player has slaved for so long perfecting their craft and players capable of making said items are so rare that their spammed endlessly in tells the second they log on. Most likely they do what I do and don't advertise which of their characters can make these things because if I just want to log in and unwind smacking around a few trolls for awhile the LAST thing I need is twenty or so tells asking me to drop everything I'm doing to make shit for them endlessly.

Dark Dreams

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 08:17:13 PM »

The issue isn't whether we choose to craft or grind dungeons, it's simply a question of realistic experience. A character sitting around talking about it not being safe at night or emoting their actions of equipment maintainence / eating / facial expressions will advance faster than a crafter doing real work... and -that- is unbalanced.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 12:30:00 AM »
Ookay.. then let me ask you this as a rebuttle.. ( pardon the spelling) If a Smith only sits there and makes the weapons.. does that give them experience to grow better in a fight just by making the weapon? if all he spends is countless hours smithing?

Dark Dreams

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 03:56:11 AM »
Ookay.. then let me ask you this as a rebuttle.. ( pardon the spelling) If a Smith only sits there and makes the weapons.. does that give them experience to grow better in a fight just by making the weapon? if all he spends is countless hours smithing?

At least as much as talking does. The smith is training his arm strength with that hammer, not to mention the mining pick... both melee weapons. He will also be improving aim and endurance with these strenuous activities (mining and lumberjacking will wear you out as fast as combat). As far as leatherworking, that is developing precision with a knife (tanning), and likewise for the lumberjack with the handaxe. All of the tradeskills also would reasonably increase the crafter's manual dexterity and possibly their level of general understanding (Int or Wis), since all crafting rolls require a base attribute. These would all qualify for the same amount of XP that RP XP affords, realistically speaking.

*edit: To preserve balance and not have it swing the other way, I could see the value of XP awarded for crafting set to less than the amount of RP XP, so as to still encourage interaction RP versus trade RP (both are RP, by definition).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 04:09:33 AM by Dark Dreams »

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2015, 09:13:05 AM »
If there were solo roleplay experience points, we'd have people hitting macros all the time everywhere they go, just to power level it.

Dark Dreams

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2015, 10:54:44 AM »
If there were solo roleplay experience points, we'd have people hitting macros all the time everywhere they go, just to power level it.

By the same token, people could power level by emoting sleep in the outskirts... but we know that RP XP is not significant enough to be considered power levelling. Having a character XP system in place for solo XP would not open the floodgates for power levelling unless it was done horribly wrong, and I have much more faith in the dev team than that. To reiterate the conclusion of my last reply, it would be foreseeable for such a system to award a reduced amount of XP for solo ventures such as crafting, but to award absolutely nothing for activities that stand to improve a character far more than simple chit-chat is problematic.

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2015, 12:09:07 PM »
Back when I played Ultima Online, they added magic armour properties that would make it so that casting spells wouldn't take any reagents. This meant you could conjure food for free. Food could be sold for 2-5 gold to an NPC. Someone made an AFK macro script to summon food and sell it, they actually made sizable money doing so since they could leave the script running all the time.

My point here is, just because something seems like it's a small amount doesn't mean that it's worthless. Especially RP XP, I've gained several levels primarily off XP gains. And I don't mean blow-off levels like 2-3, I went from 11 to 14 on a character primarily off RP XP where I didn't do much more than crafting and sales. If you want to gain RP XP during crafting, have a friend come with you and talk with them.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2015, 12:21:49 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again.. That fact that we get EXP for RPing at all is a blessing and we should be thankful for it. IF all one wants or is concerned over is exp, it makes it seem like they have less care for RP and story.. Not saying anyone here doesn't care about those.

and I've done about the same for the last few levels for my rogue... Monica O'Sullivan. ( forgot i have two rogues) 14-17 ( not quiet 17 but just about there.. sure i've done a couple of dungeons but 90% of her levels lately have been RP.

And even on my crafter or when I was with my crafting friend, they normally brought me and one other along for RP thus giving them exp.. and then most the time that you craft depending on what your making your probably going to go somewhere where you can kill things and possibly get exp.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:27:45 PM by Syl »

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2015, 12:37:41 PM »
If you want to gain RP XP during crafting, have a friend come with you and talk with them.

I think this was the idea behind consolidating the crafting stations under one roof.

The only craft I know enough about to make an informed comment is potions--which I'm happy did not get consolidated, though I wish there was a herbalism station around Degannwy. (Where are the Elves making all those barkskin potions? Maybe there is one, and I just haven't found it!)

Anyway, I've never found *any* PCs in the Vallaki crafting hall. I've gone there several times specifically to find crafters and give them my business in game, but each time it was just the NPCs. Perhaps some sort of solution to Dark Dreams' request could be worked out by tweaking that area.

One idea: Have in the hall a station that allows crafters to trade unwanted "practice" items for tiny experience awards. That way it would be difficult to power level because it would be in only one location (that could be monitored and controlled for exploits) and limited by how much raw material a character had and how much the character could carry.

*Second* it would encourage traffic in the hall and thus make roleplay among crafters and customers more likely.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2015, 04:08:03 PM »
I have run into other PCs in the Vallaki crafting hall, but it is not a constant thing.  I think it would be great if there was a "recycling" option to break down unwanted items back into scrap that could be recrafted into something else.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP