Author Topic: Community suggestions for gold sinks  (Read 12282 times)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Community suggestions for gold sinks
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2015, 05:33:37 PM »
Increasing the gold cost for certain destinations wouldn't be a bad idea.

And at some point, maybe I'll build a noble house people can rent in Dementlieu, similar to the Penthouse at the Govt Hotel but much more expensive. This could be used by player-ran factions.

chuuch1

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2015, 02:46:47 AM »
I'd be in favor for increasing travel costs to certain destination. It would make IC sense for the Vistani to charge more for going to distant/dangerous places. Something to also consider is having different cost for coming and going these loctions/mist cam.

Barovia - 100

Dementlie - 150

Hazkan - 150

Blaustin - 200

Harakir - 300

Sith - 350

I don't see this doing much for a gold sink, prices like these will only hurt people who are low on gold and will have no effect on rich characters.

Increasing the gold cost for certain destinations wouldn't be a bad idea.

And at some point, maybe I'll build a noble house people can rent in Dementlieu, similar to the Penthouse at the Govt Hotel but much more expensive. This could be used by player-ran factions.

One Noble house wont be much of a gold sink, you'd need to take it a little further and add several houses in multiple cities for rent to make a significant gold sink for multiple players

You could make a real estate agent in each town who would list all of the properties currently available, from low end to high end.  You can have a placeable outside each property with its address, Like 136 green street, 147 Vallaki Blvd, etc

Guaranteed players will sink their gold into renting properties like these, would also add a ton of flavor to the server.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:49:24 AM by chuuch1 »

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2015, 06:36:27 AM »
I like the house renting idea a lot. Especialy if they would come with a chest or something to store some things combined with the option to break into the house and have the stuff stolen, secret rendevous, leave messages etc.

Also for noble titles for sale, maybe they can include that (some of) the npc of the domain the title is from adress the pc in a different way now he is of noble blood.

As for the factions, I don't know how it is now but maybe the factions that have a headquaters could go pay rent and/or tax for it to be brought up by their members through wichever means fit their faction (membership, donations, percentage of loot, etc)

Another idea I had would be to have you be able to rent servants in Port a lucine (and mabye even buy slaves in Hazlan or Har'Akir.) These would be non-combat henchman with mostly a status function and maybe a limited carrying capacity. They would not follow you outside Port or into dangerous locations.

and Another idea is that the npc healers only offer free healing to a pc only once a day and charge money if you want to be healed more often. (with the added benefit that people seek out pc healers more often)

Building out off the mists

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2015, 08:23:11 AM »
I like the house renting idea a lot. Especialy if they would come with a chest or something to store some things combined with the option to break into the house and have the stuff stolen, secret rendevous, leave messages etc.

Also for noble titles for sale, maybe they can include that (some of) the npc of the domain the title is from adress the pc in a different way now he is of noble blood.

As for the factions, I don't know how it is now but maybe the factions that have a headquaters could go pay rent and/or tax for it to be brought up by their members through wichever means fit their faction (membership, donations, percentage of loot, etc)

Another idea I had would be to have you be able to rent servants in Port a lucine (and mabye even buy slaves in Hazlan or Har'Akir.) These would be non-combat henchman with mostly a status function and maybe a limited carrying capacity. They would not follow you outside Port or into dangerous locations.

and Another idea is that the npc healers only offer free healing to a pc only once a day and charge money if you want to be healed more often. (with the added benefit that people seek out pc healers more often)

I like some of these ideas.. and Hey come on now I think i'm one of the very few that already pay for my healing from NPCs period. lol i'm sure the ML temple has had at least 10000 gold in donations from my self alone with all the healing lol... Cannot donate to Ezrites since they only heal their kind. lol
 But Definatly love the house idea.. Gives me and other thief actually something to break into, and get some items while others are away WOOO!!!

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Mereyn

• Undead Slayer
  • Resident Observer of the Freakshow
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2015, 08:28:18 AM »
Incorrect, only Home Faith/First Sect, which has two Anchorites as players at the moment, are restricted from healing others.

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2015, 08:58:44 AM »
I don't see this doing much for a gold sink, prices like these will only hurt people who are low on gold and will have no effect on rich characters.

This is why I think a tariff system (while more complex) would be better.

Besides the reasons I listed previously, I'll also add that even the Vistani might have a rule similar to airlines: one carry on, or otherwise you pay extra! Seriously, transporting stuff--not just people--costs you more.

Going farther and to more dangerous areas makes sense to charge more, too, but a lean traveller should pay less than someone who is heavily laden, the Vistani can see is wealthy, is hauling local riches out of a realm, or is bringing into a realm goods that would compete with the local merchants. Free international trade is a pretty anachronistic concept to have in the Mists.

+1

This opens up a lot of possibilities IMO. This would be more interesting than the ever-present oxen  :)

At least for those who are not slaves, perhaps if you get one killed you must pay to have them resurrected. If you don't, the others decline to work for you from then on.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2015, 09:01:39 AM »
Incorrect, only Home Faith/First Sect, which has two Anchorites as players at the moment, are restricted from healing others.

Was refering to the NPCs I know the players will heal whomever they wish lol

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2015, 09:05:27 AM »
One other thing about the body servant, slave idea: It is a very testable, low-impact change.

That is, the admins can try one or two in a single area and see how it works as far as improving player experience / affecting Game Balance. Then, if it's popular, expand on it.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2015, 09:16:28 AM »

I don't really like this one as a blanket idea, to be honest. The only characters who seem to use regularly use NPC healers are lower levels, and the only healer I've ever seen used more than once in an IG day is Lizuca. There's healers in most of the domains, but they never really seem to get used, because they're not right near particularly dangerous places, like Lizuca is; if they start offering healing only in exchange for gold, it'd need to be for a different trigger than a day cycle, and it's not really going to be happening often enough that it's going to cause any real impact as a gold sink, anyway.

As for the Sanctuary of Coming Dawn, if prices start going up on Lizuca's Cure Moderate Wounds, people are just going to end up spending 10 gold to rent a room in the Lady's Rest and get full health and a proper rest instead.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2015, 06:25:45 PM »

I like the idea of hiring porters -- just like hiring a transport ox, but with a more limited carrying capacity, but you could get them into places like the Dvergheim mine.

You could charge just a progressive level based fee for healing... it could be by level, or by the amount of HP cured.  That way, lowbies don't really suffer much of a penalty.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2015, 07:45:26 PM »
Love both those options, the slaves/servants would be of alot more use since they wouldnt catch or get stuck like the ox do when navigating tighter areas :3