Author Topic: Will Windows 10 mess up NWN?  (Read 8299 times)

tomwell1

• New to the Mists
  • Hero of Mordent
Will Windows 10 mess up NWN?
« on: July 23, 2015, 01:32:21 PM »
Not at all tech savvy as I should be, so I was wondering if the coming windows 10 will be not able to run NWN, or will run at worse performance.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:34:39 PM by tomwell1 »
Rayne Mirna - Silver Warden Tempuran

You know, look, you're a ghost, you're a vampire, you're french, figure it out, pick one.

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
Re: Will Windows 10 mess up NWN?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 02:16:53 PM »
Nope, same tweaks you can make in W7 should be available in 10, don't see why anything would change. ATI users, in my experience with this game, tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to stability. I'd keep a keener eye on your graphics drivers than operating system, if you have ATI. Then again don't quote me on anything. It's just highly unlikely anything will change.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 02:21:58 PM by Sword »
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 03:04:18 PM »
Then again don't quote me on anything.

Now, what are you going to do about it? Fight me?

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 01:00:57 PM »
I can't speak for all of Windows 10 and all, but nVidia is having driver problems with Windows 10. I was getting the lock-up/crash because drivers couldn't do their OpenGL thing.
: )

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 10:19:59 PM »
Works fine for me.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

dark_majico

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 05:44:21 AM »
I doubt there will be any problems, its not like your going from Windows 95 to Windows 10, running the game in compatibility mode should alleviate any unusual behavior but I doubt you would need too. I'm updating tonight at 11pm so if I have any problems I'll post, in fact if I remember I will post if everything is fine too.

MJ_Johansson

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 03:24:35 PM »
It's been running alot better on windows 10 than it did on windows 7 for me, anyway.
"Let love guide you, not fear."

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 04:10:33 PM »
I am considering this update myself - but I have heard some people were unable to play afterwards. Has anyone who has had problems fixed the problems?
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 04:25:21 PM »
I am considering this update myself - but I have heard some people were unable to play afterwards. Has anyone who has had problems fixed the problems?

My problem is a driver conflict. Hopefully nvidia'll patch it soon. Anyways, if something goes wrong you can roll back to your previous Windows.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 05:46:30 PM »
Only problem I had was that I had to change my in game resolution for some reason then I was fine.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

dark_majico

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 01:59:13 PM »

Updating to windows 10 hasn't affected my game playability.

Chaoshawk

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 02:39:15 PM »
I had to reinstall the drivers, but after that I've had no issues.
"In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 06:48:00 AM »
I can't speak for all of Windows 10 and all, but nVidia is having driver problems with Windows 10. I was getting the lock-up/crash because drivers couldn't do their OpenGL thing.

It is my experience that nvidia drivers cause problems with NWN regardless of the OS you use. Had them with both Win2k and Win 7 until I switched to a different video card brand.

I switched to Windows 10 myself. I had to install new drivers and reinstall NWN, but the later mostly because of issues I had with the nwtoolset even before the upgrade. Everything works peachy now. So Win10 really causes no problem in itself with the game. Most issues, if any, would come from your video card drivers.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 10:06:25 AM »

It is my experience that nvidia drivers cause problems with NWN regardless of the OS you use. Had them with both Win2k and Win 7 until I switched to a different video card brand.

I switched to Windows 10 myself. I had to install new drivers and reinstall NWN, but the later mostly because of issues I had with the nwtoolset even before the upgrade. Everything works peachy now. So Win10 really causes no problem in itself with the game. Most issues, if any, would come from your video card drivers.

That's what I said. Nvidia's win10 drivers are having problems with OpenGL, so there's a chance that if someone with an nvidia card goes to 10, they'll start crashing. Luckily, there's a rollback feature so if you do run into problems you can always revert back to 7/8.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 11:39:45 PM »
So, I've updated to Windows 10 a while ago, and while I don't really have any problems running NWN, the only thing I miss from 8.1 was that when I alt-tabbed out, I could just click on the icon in the task bar and instantly get back into the game. Now when I alt-tab out, getting back in can be rage-inducing. The game comes back up, but I can't click or do anything. Sometimes I'm stuck alt-tabbing back and forth for several minutes before I can finally click and move again. Has anyone found a quick way to get back in? I'd really prefer not to run in windowed mode unless I absolutely have to.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 11:48:08 PM »
So, I've updated to Windows 10 a while ago, and while I don't really have any problems running NWN, the only thing I miss from 8.1 was that when I alt-tabbed out, I could just click on the icon in the task bar and instantly get back into the game. Now when I alt-tab out, getting back in can be rage-inducing. The game comes back up, but I can't click or do anything. Sometimes I'm stuck alt-tabbing back and forth for several minutes before I can finally click and move again. Has anyone found a quick way to get back in? I'd really prefer not to run in windowed mode unless I absolutely have to.

Instead of alt-tabbing in and out, just spam the ALT key a bunch. This will fix the unresponsiveness.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2015, 01:04:37 AM »
Oh so that's why, yeah happens to me too was getting frustating so I'd just shut the game down if I need web browse or whatever. I'll try the alt key spamming next time. ;)

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2015, 04:59:45 AM »

What I do is that I change to windowed mode before I tab out and change to full screen mode after having tabbed in.

The key here is that you can use Alt+Enter to quickly change between Window modes. See: NWN Window Mode

The added bonus is that if I am say, mining, I can browse while having half an eye on the screen in case someone happens by. :)

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2015, 12:05:12 PM »
I had no idea alt-enter would work for NWN. Thanks! That makes it easy to switch back and forth.

Dud_Goose

• Undead Slayer
  • The Abominable
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 11:54:31 PM »
I had some serious lag on NWN (even from the menu) when I updated to Windows 10 today, but after downloading a windows update that included a fix for Intel graphics, everything seems to run just fine.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

-Charles Bukowski

Rodarn

• Outlander
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 12:40:53 PM »
As far as alt tabbing. I like to alt+enter into windowed mode and alt+enter back to fullscreen when I am done. I can still respond to tells and complications in a pinch ( I use a secondary monitor for my task so nwn is on top of my main.)

Perdiot Olivene