You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Gunsmithing  (Read 5437 times)

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Gunsmithing
« on: June 29, 2015, 03:30:14 PM »
Hello,

One thing I was wondering about was the ability to make Guns, Muskets, and other blackpowder weapons. This doesn't have to be a new craft it could use blacksmithing with to make the guns. Alchemist could be the guys to make the powder. It might require carpentry for the longer stocks on things like muskets and of course barrels(to have barrels of blackpowder). Alterantive to this one could have a gun-smithing craft of its own.

So I wonder what others think of this.

~herkles~

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
Re: Gunsmithing
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 03:47:43 PM »
I think we can already make gun powder, i like this idea.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 03:53:44 PM »
So do I. Could be really neat to have, would also be nice to be able to make bullets for the guns!
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 04:50:11 PM »
Silver bullets, anyone?

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 06:58:45 PM »
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

dark_majico

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 12:36:36 PM »
I like the idea of crafting bullets but not guns, I think if they were craftable the number of guns in circulation would explode, there supposed to be rare.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 12:46:37 PM »
I like the idea of crafting bullets but not guns, I think if they were craftable the number of guns in circulation would explode, there supposed to be rare.
Why do you get the impression they are supposed to be rare in dementlieu? This could allow the garda to do gun checks too, and check for arms smugglers. The rebels do tend to also use them. Yet in Dementlieu they are certainly not rare

dark_majico

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 01:02:34 PM »
Why do you get the impression they are supposed to be rare in dementlieu? This could allow the garda to do gun checks too, and check for arms smugglers. The rebels do tend to also use them. Yet in Dementlieu they are certainly not rare

Lots of reasons socially and economically. Guns are a very powerful invention and they changed the world immensely when they were successfully manufactured. For any society and its governments (such as they are) it is prudent to keep the population in check and ensure that the general population does not have easy access to them for fear of tipping the balance of power in favour of any potential rebels or locals. They are also difficult to manufacture in pre industrial cultures, gun smithing is also a highly artisan craft, just finding large numbers of people who would even have the ability or vision to craft them would be difficult, and people/organizations/governments in power would ensure that they had control over people who could produce them. Its also very expensive to manufacture them, and the retail value of a gun would be astronomical. They might be more prominent in dementlieu than in other regions/domains but the pro portion of the poor who could'nt afford to buy and maintain gunsstill vastly out weighs the rich who can.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 01:24:55 PM »

Lots of reasons socially and economically. Guns are a very powerful invention and they changed the world immensely when they were successfully manufactured. For any society and its governments (such as they are) it is prudent to keep the population in check and ensure that the general population does not have easy access to them for fear of tipping the balance of power in favour of any potential rebels or locals. They are also difficult to manufacture in pre industrial cultures, gun smithing is also a highly artisan craft, just finding large numbers of people who would even have the ability or vision to craft them would be difficult, and people/organizations/governments in power would ensure that they had control over people who could produce them. Its also very expensive to manufacture them, and the retail value of a gun would be astronomical. They might be more prominent in dementlieu than in other regions/domains but the pro portion of the poor who could'nt afford to buy and maintain gunsstill vastly out weighs the rich who can.

Guns themselves did not change the world, in fact they were made during the late middle ages. However Dementlieu has a tech level far past that. there level is around the 16 and 17 hundreds which is well past the medieval era and into the borque era or age of enlightenment. The thing is it is not just Dementlieu that uses guns, Mordent, Lamordia, Richemulot, borca and even Invidia have access to Guns. I also believe that Zherisia has them(but considering they have photography well, you can hardly say that zhersia is pre-industrial :P) As to what changed the world that was artiiary, ie canon, mortars and the like. That was what changed things. Yet you do need canons to exist IG and function where as we have

Even if the poor can't afford them that doesn't stop the trade. Also the nations didn't tightly control them as a communist or facist would. Have laws about smuggling to nations they didn't like sure. What they were often were trades that family got into and ran, but this is true for most bussiness pre-industrial. The banking institutes of the Medicis were owned by the medici family. Bereta for example is a gun company that has been owned by the same family since the 1500s. In our setting we have the Gnomish Gearling family that is known for their guns. There are other gun smiths in dementlieu but they are the most famous.

We can also argue that early printing presses were tightly controlled but you don't see that in Dementlieu. You don't see a goverment agent proof-reading everything that is printed to make sure it fits state standards. That would be more important IMO then guns.

Silver bullets, anyone?

Kind of surprised they are not in the game anyways. but yea, I agree with this. I also think that holy bullets should be allowed. You know to do extra damage against undead. :D

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 02:25:46 PM »
Why would Port have SIlver bullets lol they think vampires and werewolves are just stories and not real lol

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 02:27:42 PM »
Why would Port have SIlver bullets lol they think vampires and werewolves are just stories and not real lol

its a staple of gothic horror!

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 02:30:15 PM »

its a staple of gothic horror!

I know. :P

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 03:47:54 PM »
Which is why we should be able to craft them!
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 08:56:02 PM »
Silver steel bullet! [enchanted]  :lol:

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 10:06:19 PM »
Would be nice for sure but not sure this is feasible. Guns use a super complicated intricate system and not every property can work with them.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 11:09:35 PM »
Would be nice for sure but not sure this is feasible. Guns use a super complicated intricate system and not every property can work with them.

Could they not be made to require sling bullets to fire, and apply the properties of the bullet in question to the damage roll? That would be the simplest solution to me, but I don't know how the script works, so...

Indigocell

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 05:34:36 PM »

I realize this is a very old thread at this point, but I saw no reason to start a new topic if this quote still applies. Does this mean that crafting bullets for guns would too complicated to integrate with the current crafting systems? That's unfortunate, I thought it would be interesting if alchemists could make powder (pouches and horns, if not kegs). Smiths could make bullets, and Gilders could take various ingredients from both to gild them with special properties (Silver, Acid, Fire). I realize this is unlikely, since it would involve the addition of more ingredients (saltpeter, sulfur, charcoal, etc) as well as places for them to drop/spawn.

I like it because it adds a bit more utility to all three crafts, while encouraging interaction and trade between them. Mostly, I just want to see silver bullets become a thing. If the scripts around them are too complicated, then I suppose it can't be helped. I'm sure it's not an original thought, but I think it's an interesting idea in any event.

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 06:51:51 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, creation of gunpowder is already implemented, though I've not done it myself so I don't know if it's compatible with the firearms system or only usable to make kegs of gunpowder. On creating bullets, I believe that enchanting a single bullet with sonic weapon lets you add extra damage to it, so I'm not sure whether adding damage types to the bullets themselves would work.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 06:58:30 PM »
The bullets for guns are different than the bullets used for sling, as far as I know, because they have to be useable by the guns script
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 07:51:26 PM »
Firearm bullets do have a use function to actually load them into the gun, but they've been tested and proven to work with weapon enchants I believe.

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2016, 07:53:28 PM »
Interestingly using a sling with firearm bullets loaded will work.

"A no wisdom ranger is literally unwise."

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2016, 09:58:48 PM »
That's because they're still the base item of bullets for slings, but with an additional use function.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 03:09:01 AM »
Gunsmithing would be interesting to see come up. I believe, after reading the earlier text, someone was under the impression that guns are rare and shouldn't be distributed as such. I believe the only realm where guns are taboo is Barovia? And that's a choice to keep things regressive there by the gubbermint. I used to have a character who would go to Port, buy a bunch of guns, power, and bullets, then sell them in bulk to randoms in Barovia. If anything, that was easier than I imagine gunsmithing to be.

But, let's say, Gunsmithing due to it's regional knowledge (And I mean, there aren't many, if any, DnD setting in which Guns can be smithed except for maybe Eberron or Gothic Earf) that you would need to have a specific token or item from an NPC, or DM that would permit you the knowledge necessary to understand how to make a firearm. There can even be beginner's pistols that are made that... Well, to be frank, would explode a lot more than normal. This token would interact with the crafting system to unlock a certain level of the blacksmithing tree, and the components of putting it together would require a mixture of blacksmithing for the barrel, and woodworking of some form for the handle and construction.

As far as mechanical limitations, there are rapiers in the game with pistols built into the dome of it, and I've had on one of my characters, a DM custom-make a firearm on an object other than a pistol. If a DM could apply a firearm property, surely there's a method in which to apply said property to essentially spawn a new class of items. This is a tired, 3:00 AM thought, but...

Carpenter makes.. Wooden handle, and construction.

Blacksmith makes a barrel.

Use the two together, you have a firearm without a mechanism.

Something fitting makes the flintlock mechanism, I'm not sure what craft would really fit.

Once the mechanism and firearm without a mechanism are used on eachother, it spawns... Something like Poorly Constructed Flintlock Pistol of which is pre-set in the toolset with properties already applied, and it just dumps the item in their inventory. Bullets can work under a similar principle.

If I'm not mistaken from past experiences, that's do-able, isn't it?

P.S.: Perhaps this would make Pistols much more relevant by giving players the ability to make decent, enchanted, or generally all-around swell end-game better pistols, or just ones that can more closely follow their progression. This would allow people to enjoy, or focus on them more without it being just a gimmick. Doubly so, considering they just expanded the crafting system to new levels for all of the metalworking and herbalism stuff, this would be kinda nice.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 03:15:57 AM by BraveSirRobin »

armybrat69

• Undead Slayer
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive !
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 03:17:31 AM »
This would be a neat idea to see in game.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -Thomas Paine

"We are all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different levels." -Unknown

booksarefun666

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2016, 04:46:15 AM »
As cool as your idea is, I believe it was mentioned that gunsmithing isn't likely to happen in the chat.