You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Question about Gothic Earth  (Read 1966 times)

strukumaisling

Question about Gothic Earth
« on: June 24, 2015, 11:35:20 PM »
I'm not too familiar with the Gothic Earth setting, but would a Crusader fit as a Cleric, or a Celtic Druid fit as an actual D&D Druid? Is there a rule about this I missed somewhere?

Olywynn

• Likes to say "Nyeh heh heh!"
  • Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
Re: Question about Gothic Earth
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 11:57:44 PM »
Celtic shamans/druids would be druids, correct.  Or clerics (though you would be expected to dress as a shaman/druid, and not wear metal armor and such.

Crusaders could either be clerics (for evil aligned Crusaders, Good, or Neutral), or Paladin for good.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 12:23:31 AM »
Celtic shamans/druids would be druids, correct.  Or clerics (though you would be expected to dress as a shaman/druid, and not wear metal armor and such.
More like Cleric. They were the clergy of their tribes and clans.  Also you can not say much that is general about them since each tribe had their own customs and beliefs. The gods of one tribe could be different from the gods of a tribe a few miles away. Now there are similar practices, such as animal sacrifice(then again animal sacrifice is common among all polytheistic religions). As for the clothing, again that depends on the tribe. After all the Celtic tribes that lived around the Alps are going to dress different from those that live in central France. I have not read about the celts banning metal from being worn by their druids(So I am chocking this up to yet another silly DnDism)

side note: they can't be shamans. Why: the Celts were mainly in western europe. Shamans are from North Asia, Siberia and Mongolia. Though the term has been approatited to refer to a lot of different traditions.

Crusaders could either be clerics (for evil aligned Crusaders, Good, or Neutral), or Paladin for good.
Or fighters or rogues. Keep in mind that the Crusades were a miltierized pilgrimage movement that attracted people from all social classes. So you had peasents just as much as you had nobles involved in the conflict; I recall my history professor telling me about how after one city was taken by the crusaders, the nobles wanted to stop and rest and recouperate before moving onto jerusalem(this was after a major and bloody seige) however the common mass of soliders wanted to march right away.

Geiger

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 08:59:49 PM »
Here's the stance we take with Christianity:

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=18979.msg249529#msg249529

Hope it helps.