Author Topic: Frame's are suffering  (Read 2735 times)

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
Frame's are suffering
« on: June 23, 2015, 05:56:30 PM »
S'okay. The other day, I was playing and everything was hunky-dory. My settings were at their usual mid-grade to avoid mountain crashes but still look beautiful. Anywhooooooo, I took a break and watched Penny Dreadful on a third party streamer (damn you comcast...) projectfreetv.com to be exact. It worked well enough, hooked my laptop to my TV via the HDMI cord as per usual (done this a thousand times), and then when the show was over I retreated back into PoTM. Well, since that experience, I am noticing crazy laggy frame rates. It's nearly impossible to dungeon, and spikes in combat. Sometimes I'll be walking and it just kind of looks like the legs are switching places and movement is "implied". Running is out of the question, and moving my camera has resulted in unruly and unpredictable frames.

I can't figure out what happened. I have tried changing all the settings, I have checked to see if I have a virus running someplace, I have tried to minimize the programs running in task manager (embarrassed to say, I am unfamiliar with what's supposed to be there.)

The system is a 2014 HP with Windows 8.1

Derp. Please advise.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
Re: Frame's are suffering
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 06:04:18 PM »
Just to get it out of the way: Have you fully rebooted your computer since? I mean hard reboot, not hybrid shutdown or hibernation/sleep.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 07:23:15 PM »
...I pressed the button. But somehow I have a feeling that only hibernates it. I'll test this.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

functor

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 11:13:44 AM »
My Mac-wrapped version of NWN showed such behaviour during the last NCW (or maybe it was just a lot of playtime...). Restarting the game always helped, but that was equivalent to restarting (emulated) Windows.

As well, sometimes this is how lags actually manifest themselves (at least in my case). Either way, graphics has nothing to do with it, I think.

MatticusCaesar

• Dark Power
  • Beware the Hinvasion!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 02:30:49 PM »
When you hooked up to your TV, did you change settings to push audio out through HDMI?  You may need to set that back and/or check the audio inside NWN audio options.  I have a super laptop, but the wrong audio settings will cause my GPU and CPU to stutter, giving the appearance of bad frame rates.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 05:38:52 PM by MatticusCaesar »
Currently Playing:
Conner o'Clan Cunningham, Cando Weaselbite

On the sidelines but ready for action:
Tychon Corynian, Bjarna Blitzthorn, Remo Fenberry, Yerrith Greenstone, Gryllus Athens, Pristi Feld

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 02:58:42 PM »
When you hooked up to your TV, did you cheange settings to push audio out through HDMI?  You may need to set that back and/or check the audio inside NWN audio options.  I have a super laptop, but the wrong audio settings will cause my GPU and CPU to stutter, giving the appearance of bad frame rates.

No, I just plugged in. The audio did get wonky though, it was the first time that ever happened. I'll change around the settings to see if it helps. I haven't been in game to test since i reset, though, so it will be a bit before i find out.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 03:32:55 PM »
Restore your GPU settings to default maybe?

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 04:38:33 PM »
When you hooked up to your TV, did you cheange settings to push audio out through HDMI?  You may need to set that back and/or check the audio inside NWN audio options.  I have a super laptop, but the wrong audio settings will cause my GPU and CPU to stutter, giving the appearance of bad frame rates.

This just changed my life.

MatticusCaesar

• Dark Power
  • Beware the Hinvasion!
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 05:37:53 PM »

In a good way, I hope :)
Currently Playing:

Tychon Corynian, Bjarna Blitzthorn, Remo Fenberry, Yerrith Greenstone, Gryllus Athens, Pristi Feld

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 06:07:23 PM »
yeah, i adjusted the audio settings and now i am golden. Just managed a high magic slaughter without any issues whats ever. thanks! It's crazy that it was the source of the problem, and yes, it seems like it changed after i watched tv.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 06:30:05 PM »

In a good way, I hope :)

Yep. Whoah. Mind blown.

MatticusCaesar

• Dark Power
  • Beware the Hinvasion!
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 07:02:57 PM »
I stuggled with that one myself for a while.  Whenever I plugged my laptop (or any PC for that matter) into one of my TVs via HDMI, it would try to auto adjust the audio settings, and often not well.

I suspect part of the issue is we are forcing audio through the video card when using the HDMI port issue so that is sucking tons of GPU cycles if you use a pseudo-incompatipble audio source.  I haven't really researched that, but that is my hypothesis.

The really brutal audio source is the Direct3d Hardware setting inside NWN.  That one absolutely KILLS any of my computers.  I recall it working well back in the early 2000's (when NNW first came out) with that generation of audio cards and operating systems, but in my experience that is one to avoid now... 

In any case, glad you guys are running smooth now!
Currently Playing:

dark_majico

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 02:14:08 PM »
Yeah same thing happens to me, certain sound option I can alter in the game cause my game to stutter but only during combat, strange but worth remembering.

gainreduction

• Cool Dungeon Bro
  • Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 02:55:56 PM »
http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=10560

tried the nwnplayer.ini tweak suggested here? This is the first thing I do if I'm transferring my install to another machine.